Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

For me the replacement would more likely be Veretout.  He's a more natural replacement for Westwood.  Gil played the game a lot more forward.  Case in point being his penalty appeal.  You'd never find Westwood charging into the box like that.  I want to see more of Veretout as his glimpses and cameos so far have been very very intriguing and encouraging.  We could have an amazing player on our hands there.

• Like 1

Veretout played as an attacking Midfielder for Nantes last year that's how he got his impressive stats in terms of goals scored and assists. Reading the Nantes forum when he joined us, a lot of their supporters were saying tht he could end up going to a team like Manchester United in two or three years for €30-40M, I don't think they're basing that on him playing as DM. It would be a waste to play him so deep.

No-one is suggesting he play DM useless, in fact the discussion was the future of a midfield that contained Sanchez and Gana.  The inference being that any Westwood replacement could play a more forward role, therefore suiting Veretout (IMO more than Gil).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

He was diabolical for the last 20 odd minutes. We needed him to be a calming influence and to keep possession but he continually gave the ball away and was one of the biggest contributors to us being on the back foot. For such an experienced player he looks like a rabbit in the headlights way too often.

Same old Sanchez isn't it?  Ever since the QPR game last season the guy has had the ability to look like the best player on the pitch for an hour then be the one who passes the ball to an unmarked opposition forward 20 yards from goal.  Is it a concentration issue? 

How is anyone backing him??? He was dreadful today! I was with 2 non-Villa fans and they described him as "the guy playing piggy in the middle" as he just runs around watching the ball fly over him, or he runs to someone about to get the ball, does nothing, runs again and if he gets it, he loses it. He's dreadful.

He's alright alongside Gana, we've seen that. But we missed Gana massively today, and Sanchez and Westwood just don't have the stamina to protect the back 4 by themselves. They were dead on their feet after 60 mins, which is why Veretout's numb bum on the bench is even more inexplicable. 

But yes, Sanchez also lost concentration too much at the end, we needed a calm head and he didn't provide it. Ultimately, snuffing out attacks from the opposition when you're 2-0 up is basically exactly what he's paid to do. 

Â