Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

Agreed DDID. It was a true defensive midfield performance, sat back and intercepted as well as dispossessing their midfielders. Still baffled as to why he came off though, mind. 

I just don't think he was fully fit. He didn't have a pre-season remember. Hopefully we've got a fitness plan with him in mind because I'd like to see him starting, especially if we're going to be fielding two or more lightweight attacking midfielders. Maybe he'll come on as a sub tonight. 

Whilst cleary not a central defender I think Carlos deserves great credit tonight, looked calm and composed and his energy levels were fantastic. Well played fella.

Tidied up well today and read some situations well but horribly exposed by his lack of height and lack of pace

Please play a CB there v Blues in the next round Tim , thanks

People seem to forget that before his Arsenal howler he had a string of 4 or 5 games where he was immense.

So because posters don't mention that he had four good games every post they forget?

I really rate Sanchez, even if he's having a bad game he never hides.

A starter for me.

• Like 1

Was very good tonight. Difficult one for me if he should be a regular starter or not. I think we need Gana in there and to be fair Westwood has been very good so far. Ideally I'd like to see Grealish, Gil and Traore start in front of a midfield 2.

So for me, games when we should be pressing to win he'd be on my bench and in when we're in a tough fixture.

• Like 1

Play him centre back? I wasn't at the game last night but it sounds like he was very composed there. Maybe we just have to fit out best players (or get the worst ones off) on to the pitch to get the best out of this team.

Stronger physically than Westwood and is a proper DM, has a good range of passing and reads the game well - could be good to see him and Gana play together in some games where the other team poses a more physical threat.

• Like 1

I like this guy, so was happy to see him do well at CB. I can see the thinking behind trying this - he does well when asked to a simple job e.g. in the Copa America when he marked messi and neymar out of games.

Last night he played his usual game, tackling, making interceptions and clearing headers. His job was to mark their centre forward and he did well. In the second half there were times he had to shift across to the right to nullify a threat when Hutton had gone AWOL up the pitch. I only saw one major mistake when one of his headers went backwards into the box into a dangerous area.

Could he be a backup at CB in a worse case scenario? Yes

Long term CB - no way. I don't think he would manage a more mobile forward line. He is good at heading, but I'm not sure how good he is at defending set pieces and overall his height is a limitation.

Hopefully this was just an experiment and he can slot back into central midfield.

Â