Aly Cissokho

samjp26

He's a solid defender.  We shouldn't be relying on him to provide the wide crosses we need.

A big reason our defence is so much better this year.

He's a solid defender.  We shouldn't be relying on him to provide the wide crosses we need.

Agree with this. Expecting him and Hutton to provide crosses into the box is just stupid. We need our midfielders to provide width. not the full backs. 

You don't expect our full backs to provide crosses or provide width? Lets go home.

Cresswell and Jenkinson

Baines and Coleman

Luis (when plays) and Ivanovic 

Even Alan Wright and Mark Delaney!!

The above all provide crosses. Let alone providing width, look at Clichy for example, he rarely crosses but always provides width! Both with Cissoko and Hutton, they are too slow when we get the ball to get wide quickly. Like everything else on the pitch, it's just far too slow!

Not primarily no. I'd expect our midfielders to provide width. Fullbacks can come and back the midfielders up and offer additional width with overlaps. But currently, our midfield plays so narrow the only width comes from full backs, and it isnt working. 

• Like 2

Agree with this. Expecting him and Hutton to provide crosses into the box is just stupid. We need our midfielders to provide width. not the full backs. 

You don't expect our full backs to provide crosses or provide width? Lets go home.

Cresswell and Jenkinson

Baines and Coleman

The above all provide crosses. Let alone providing width, look at Clichy for example, he rarely crosses but always provides width! Both with Cissoko and Hutton, they are too slow when we get the ball to get wide quickly. Like everything else on the pitch, it's just far too slow!

Not primarily no. I'd expect our midfielders to provide width. Fullbacks can come and back the midfielders up and offer additional width with overlaps. But currently, our midfield plays so narrow the only width comes from full backs, and it isnt working. 

It can work both ways though. Again I'll refer to Everton. I know they arent having the best of seasons! However, what tended to happen was Barry would almost drop in to a back 3 when the full backs pushed on and given the license. Then the Everton wingers would come in field slightly leaving the space down the flanks for the full backs. The 2 problems are a) our full backs aren't there quick enough and b ) we don't really play with wingers!! Think we can all agree we need something on the wings! (Bit of a sad git when analysing).

Aly started well, and has dropped off significantly in my opinion. 

We are asking Ally to do things he is not good at. Like take players on all the time. He would play so much better if he had a wide midfielder in front of him.

Having said that he isn't a top quality combination player. His main attribute is his strength and height in my opinion. Making him defensively sound. Though he does occasionally switch off while defending, and get wrong side of the winger.

• Like 1

Far too much responsibility is passed on to Aly and Hutton.They are our only source of width in the team, and they are expected to get the ball wide, beat a player and put a cross over, that is not their game.They both make good runs, but Cleverley, Joe Cole and Gabby did nothing yday, that is our problem.

• Like 1

Cresswell and Jenkinson

Baines and Coleman

It can work both ways though. Again I'll refer to Everton. I know they arent having the best of seasons! However, what tended to happen was Barry would almost drop in to a back 3 when the full backs pushed on and given the license. Then the Everton wingers would come in field slightly leaving the space down the flanks for the full backs. The 2 problems are a) our full backs aren't there quick enough and b ) we don't really play with wingers!! Think we can all agree we need something on the wings! (Bit of a sad git when analysing).

Aly started well, and has dropped off significantly in my opinion. 

True, and a good analysis. Cissokho was really shite yesterday. But I do feel that, again, the problem is less the player and more the system. His limitations going forward were widely remarked-upon when we signed him. It was his early season for that was unusual, not his current ineptitude. He needs to be playing in a system where crossing and width is provided from midfield, and he can concentrate on tackling (admittedly, he also did that badly yesterday) - Leighton Baines he isn't. Ultimately, my mild defence of him stems from exhaustion at the mere prospect of having to sign another f***ing left back. 

• 1 month later...

This guy is turning out to be the player i thought he was when we bought him. He was by far the worst of our 10 players( stopped counting Agbonlahor long time ago) and was at fault of the goal. When he gets it in the final 3rd he might as well just boot it over the end line, least he wont get caught up the pitch when his cross doesnt beat the first man.

He used to be able to defend a bit but that has now gone to **** as well. Sherwood definitely has his number. Bound to be a right back we can call up from the reserves if richards is badly hurt. (Nobody mention Bennet by the way)

Edited by HeyAnty
  • Like 2

Delph was more at fault for the goal for me.  Cissokho got easily bullied, but he stopped his man from turning in to the box.  Delph makes some weird run off Ireland in an attempt (I presume?) to win the ball, ends up in no man's land and Ireland has the space to cross it in to Diouf (great ball, mind).

Delph was more at fault for the goal for me.  Cissokho got easily bullied, but he stopped his man from turning in to the box.  Delph makes some weird run off Ireland in an attempt (I presume?) to win the ball, ends up in no man's land and Ireland has the space to cross it in to Diouf (great ball, mind).

He was at fault to but Cissokho let his man get the ball to easy and didnt put any pressure on to let him get the easy lay off. I dont remember Bacuna playing left back much, more right.

Not sure how sherwood is gonna do it, but staying in the Prem will start with not using this guy and Hutton as Creative full backs. Huttons not to bad but Sissokho cannot create shit. Every cross he makes is useless. All them crosses throughout the season and not one assist speaks volumes. Get him out of there.

One positive was Sherwood knows this and the sub for Richardson was forced.

Edited by foreveryoung

On the evidence of yesterday, Richardson should start from here on out. If he's not fit, then Cissokho should be a left-back who never crosses the half-way line. He never does anything good in the opposition half, all that he ever achieves is ending up out of position when the other team counters. 

Â