Aly Cissokho

samjp26

Aly.

When you get hold of the ball, I want you to run in a straight line towards the corner flag in front of you and cross it.

Do not stop.

Do not come inside onto your right foot.

Do not turn around and go back to the halfway line where you just were.

Do not slow down, get surrounded then lose it and be out of position.

Just try and cross is and we'll win an abundance of throw-ins and corners.

I like you a lot Aly but you have so much possession and don't do enough with it.

Good luck.

A guy behind me in the Holte was having a right go at Cissokho all game. Cissokho put in a decent, floated right-footed cross into the box. None of our players got to it and it was cleared by Palace defenders, but it wasn't a bad cross. Ten minutes later we got a corner, which Bacuna was about to take, and this guy behind me shouts "Cissokho, pay attention! This is how you cross the f**#ing ball!!"..

I honestly don't care how good or bad he is at crossing. For too long, we've not had a leftback who can actually defend, and this is something that Cissokho is fairly good at. His last ditch block, after Okore passed the ball to a Palace player in the penalty area, was great.

• Like 1

Cissokho puts in a load of poor balls a game, mainly because he doesn't have anyone in front of him to give the ball to. I feel sorry for him and Hutton as they've both been excellent defensively.

• Like 2

With the system we play, we rely a fair bit on the full backs getting forward. Unfortunately inly a very few are able to perform this task equally whether going forward or defending. Ashley Cole springs to mind.

As others have said, Cissohko is a big factor in our progress defensively, not quite sure what people expect for less than £2mil. I think the vast majority are more than happy with Cissohkos contribution, which coupled with Huttons is a massive factor in our defensive improvements.

• 2 weeks later...

He was shocking yesterday, which is a shame because he started the season looking good. I still think he could be alright, but one of the many stupid choices our dear manager is making is to have all of our width come from our full-backs, neither of whom is good at attacking. Cissokho is especially bad at it. He's not a wing-back, he's a full-back. This was not unknown when we signed him. 

He is a solid defensive player who is being made to look bad by the role he is being asked to play. It doesn't help that when he gets given the ball high up the pitch he is often completely isolated.

Well I'll compare that to when he had Grealish in front of him against Blackpool. People said Grealish had a bad game against Blackpool, one of the main reasons he didn't have a good game was because Cissokho didn't release the ball quick enough and took about 2/3 extra touches which slowed everything down ! 

Even defensively yesterday he was shocking.

• Like 1

He's a solid defender.  We shouldn't be relying on him to provide the wide crosses we need.

A big reason our defence is so much better this year.

He's a solid defender.  We shouldn't be relying on him to provide the wide crosses we need.

Agree with this. Expecting him and Hutton to provide crosses into the box is just stupid. We need our midfielders to provide width. not the full backs. 

Isn't it just typical Villa. Remember at the start of the season when Aly was whipping in some beautiful crosses and we and the commentators were all saying "Benteke would love those". As soon as Benteke comes back Aly can't cross for toffee.

Very useful defender. Best left back i've seen since Bouma.

• Like 2

Agree with this. Expecting him and Hutton to provide crosses into the box is just stupid. We need our midfielders to provide width. not the full backs. 

You don't expect our full backs to provide crosses or provide width? Lets go home.

Cresswell and Jenkinson

Baines and Coleman

Luis (when plays) and Ivanovic 

Even Alan Wright and Mark Delaney!!

The above all provide crosses. Let alone providing width, look at Clichy for example, he rarely crosses but always provides width! Both with Cissoko and Hutton, they are too slow when we get the ball to get wide quickly. Like everything else on the pitch, it's just far too slow!

Edited by BigCarew

You don't expect our full backs to provide crosses or provide width? Lets go home.

Cresswell and Jenkinson

Baines and Coleman

The above all provide crosses. Let alone providing width, look at Clichy for example, he rarely crosses but always provides width!

Of course they can provide crosses but they shouldn't be the main outlet.

Cresswell and Jenkinson

Baines and Coleman

The above all provide crosses. Let alone providing width, look at Clichy for example, he rarely crosses but always provides width!

Of course they can provide crosses but they shouldn't be the main outlet.

I agree. In all fairness they need a winger to overlap with, but again its just done too slow to which they run down blind alleys towards the corner flag !

Â