The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

28 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Realistic jobs or unrealistic?

If unrealistic we could have a lot of professional footballers

Either.  Bit of an obvious one though, really.

For me, I'd love to do something that helps young people.  Maybe a support worker.  I did some lecturing work on the side when I was starting my own business and really enjoyed it, but the pay just wasn't sustainable for me to dive into it full time.

I'd love to go with the writing jaunt, and just write  silly books for silly people. But then I think, well how do you do better than wodehouse, pratchett or douglas adams? 

I'd love to give it a go though and pretend I'm writing for 4 year olds if I ever give it to someone else to have a look at.

Always worth having the 'conversation' and even better to back things up in writing and setting milestones for when things should happen. But fundamentally if they aren't recognising you in a satisfactory way then you should look else where, there's absolutely nothing to be gained by going 'above and beyond' without recognition via a pay raise or a promotion. That's called 'being mugged off'.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

Money and status aside - what job would you do if you could pick any?

Running a successful bar/restaurant 

back to reality, I had an internal assessment for a sideways move for more money. Went well. So soon I’ll be a team lead in a development team in our Research and Development department  

nice one for the CV

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Travel writer please

I’m pretty much already in my dream job, but part time teacher part time Bill Bryson’s job would be alright too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Long haul pilot with someone like BA or Virgin. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Politics. Poly meaning many. Ticks being blood sucking parasites. Politics - many blood sucking parasites.

I wouldn't mind being a politician. For changes sake. Because people shouldn't be afraid of their government, governments should be afraid of their people. As is, that's not the case.

You said money and status aside, it seems like those very two things are fundamental traits of leadership according to our current crop of politicians. The ones in power anyway.

I'm over it. Tired of seeing people of the belief that power corrupts, like it's some innate aspect of life to be accepted and not just a massive assumption based on what's apparent.

Like an alternative reality has never been accomplished by changing perceptions and then engaging in action congruent with the belief system.

I'll trade in patriotism for humanity every time. Society today has a tendency toward dogma which entails stigmatic persecution of those who would bring the financial elite in to question. Whether that be innovative thinkers that aim to bring about change to the system or people who would speak against or oppose the atrocities committed by a people or person.

Under the Anti-Terrorism Act 2005 in Australia there are significant restrictions on the right of any citizen to express certain opinions, including; criticism of the sovereign, the constitution, the government, or the law. Onus of proof is on the defendant, the presumption is not of innocence. How is that a free-thinking democracy?

Divide and conquer. The military isn't there for the peoples protection, it's just there to protect an investment. Democracy means 'power of the people, not power over the people'.

Anyway, I doubt I'll ever have a political career but I've been getting involved. I'm attending a public forum called 'profit vs the planet' tonight and have just written a submission for the Royal Commission into Mental Health. I have subscribed to emails from one political party who's main focus is on regulating the banks and bringing speculation under control, just to expand my horizons and understanding.

They say politicians need to be well remunerated in order to attract the best talent to the role. We need leaders who don't need the money cause they have the heart and mind to bring their best innovations and efforts to such an important leadership role. They should have their sights set on establishing a world that people want to be a part of instead of using propaganda and fear mongering to have people looking over their shoulders about stepping out of line and expressing their truest feelings about the world we live in.

84 men suicide per week in the UK. That's basically one-fifth of the entire Premier League, every week. In a first world country. Tragic loss of talent and potential. The focus of politics instead is racist ideology that exudes ignorance and destruction as a philosophy. If it's not Trump on Mexico, it's Netanyahu on Palestine, Turkey on the Kurds, Abbott calling the first fleet 'good' for indigenous Australians and then being appointed an envoy on indigenous affairs, we nearly forgot about the Middle Eastern conflict for a second there.

What ever happened to benevolence, goodwill and sportsmanship?

End rant.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I’d love to be a property developer. Buy one, do it up (if I had the skills to do it mainly myself) then sell it and move on to the next. 

The being my own boss part is appealing too.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Genie said:

I’d love to be a property developer. Buy one, do it up (if I had the skills to do it mainly myself) then sell it and move on to the next. 

I always had that dream so bought a run down house which I'm currently living in and renovating.

Homes under the hammer make it look a lot easier than it actually is. Damn you Dion Dublin!

• Like 1

On 30/01/2019 at 21:35, Genie said:

I second that Genie. The property developing has always appealed to me (having most of the skills to be able to do it.)

Outside that, possibly a product inventor for a big firm, someone like Wall's Ice Cream or Cadbury's etc.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/02/2019 at 03:36, AvfcRigo82 said:

I second that Genie. The property developing has always appealed to me (having most of the skills to be able to do it.)

Outside that, possibly a product inventor for a big firm, someone like Wall's Ice Cream or Cadbury's etc.

I know four property developers and all of them are rolling in it. Three of them own their own property worth multi-millions in Melbourne's most affluent suburbs.

Two of them started out as carpenters, became builders and then invested their savings in property development. I worked for one as a carpenters apprentice.

The plan for a brief while was to become a builder. If I had got myself qualified instead of working as a labourer for years then I might have continued working on site.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone ever opted for compressed/ condensed hours before? If so any thoughts?

I literally have no interest in work anymore, I do my hours, do a good job, but really just long for more free time for me to do the things I actually enjoy, I feel like I'm wasting too much time in work. Condensed hours (i.e. doing 5 days worth of hours in 4 days) seems to be a good step as it'd give me a 3 day weekend and more time to indulge in various hobbies of mine. Keen to hear people's experiences, are they all that's cracked up to be?

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Has anyone ever opted for compressed/ condensed hours before? If so any thoughts?

I literally have no interest in work anymore, I do my hours, do a good job, but really just long for more free time for me to do the things I actually enjoy, I feel like I'm wasting too much time in work. Condensed hours (i.e. doing 5 days worth of hours in 4 days) seems to be a good step as it'd give me a 3 day weekend and more time to indulge in various hobbies of mine. Keen to hear people's experiences, are they all that's cracked up to be?

I work 7:30-17:30 four days a week (no set weekday off but I don’t particularly mind). I wouldn’t have it any other way to be honest. 

• Like 1

I switched to a 4 on 4 off 12 hour shift pattern around 18 months ago. It's draining but the days off are brilliant (unless you're like me and keep doing overtime). works out great for holidays too, 12 days off everytime I book 4.

• Like 1

Â