The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

44 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I would love to think that it is. I think that's one thing the U.S.A does so well, sport. Basketball over there obviously being the pinnacle for any aspiring pro.

No idea about baseball, but basketball is huge. We have a lot of kids who end up in the U.S playing college ball, but the commitments are huge and competition is amazing, as you might be aware only a half dozen or so have cracked in to the NBA meaningfully (talking about current players), but I would say that may increase in time.

The money over here pales in comparison though. Our top earners might get $200,000 annually if they are lucky.

There's a great opportunity for non-American basketball clubs to form a Champion's League style format. It would raise the profile of non-American clubs, create a storyline ands help integrate the sport on a global scale.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, maqroll said:

There's a great opportunity for non-American basketball clubs to form a Champion's League style format. It would raise the profile of non-American clubs, create a storyline ands help integrate the sport on a global scale.

That is a great idea. Run properly though could achieve exactly what you say. However no one is going to challenge the pedigree of the NBA for some time, if ever.

Edited by A'Villan

I'm potentially looking for a move to Brum. I work in media.

Any suggestions on a) how to move, what I should do first and B ) what is the job scene like for media/marketing and all that swing?

Edited by Dick

8 hours ago, Dick said:

I'm potentially looking for a move to Brum. I work in media.

Any suggestions on a) how to move, what I should do first and B ) what is the job scene like for media/marketing and all that swing?

Media as in a media agency? If so, what kind of role?

My boss is useless, one of those proper "how on earth did you get that job people". Its generally not an issue as I tend to manage the guys in our team but he's gone into overdirve recently and causing all kinds of issues. We had 2 guys who did a specific role, they both left in May so I'm having to cover. He's still not replaced them, he says "maybe in October" he'll have someone in. Its all mounting up and he seems to be oblivious to it all.

I'm in a really grumpy mood today.

50 minutes ago, Genie said:

My boss is useless, one of those proper "how on earth did you get that job people". Its generally not an issue as I tend to manage the guys in our team but he's gone into overdirve recently and causing all kinds of issues. We had 2 guys who did a specific role, they both left in May so I'm having to cover. He's still not replaced them, he says "maybe in October" he'll have someone in. Its all mounting up and he seems to be oblivious to it all.

Put his stapler in a jelly.

• Like 1

Sorry all, I forgot to come back about that job before.

I went for the final 'interview'; I was a bit annoyed because when I went to see him, he made out like it was mine so I'd come to peace with leaving my old place.

I waited over a week for an answer, and the issue was that the peace I'd made with leaving, was eroding pretty quickly. I am happy here, happy with my employees, co-workers and my boss.

When it came down to it, I didn't get it. But I wasn't bothered. Apparently I was too expensive. Ha.

5 hours ago, Genie said:

Sounds like you might be overworked!

• 4 weeks later...

So has anyone has a complete change of career before and it's gone well? 

I've been working at the same company for 12/13 years now. It's all very easy going and i'm completely in my comfort zone. A job offer has come my way with a total shift in career but it's a career I think I'd find quite rewarding and in an emerging market which leaves plenty of room for growth.

Only issue is, as it's a total different career choice I guess i'm scared it won't work out, and I would have left a really easy going job. Interviews have taken place and I think they have gone well.

Anyone got any success stories from a similar situation? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2018 at 22:04, PieFacE said:

So has anyone has a complete change of career before and it's gone well? 

I've been working at the same company for 12/13 years now. It's all very easy going and i'm completely in my comfort zone. A job offer has come my way with a total shift in career but it's a career I think I'd find quite rewarding and in an emerging market which leaves plenty of room for growth.

Only issue is, as it's a total different career choice I guess i'm scared it won't work out, and I would have left a really easy going job. Interviews have taken place and I think they have gone well.

Anyone got any success stories from a similar situation? 

It's hard to give feedback on your situation without knowing the specifics.

I worked construction for 7 years, it was a well paid gig but it was simply work to me, it also compromised my energy for basketball which I play semi-professionally.

At the turn of this year I made the decision to change career path, I chose to volunteer with the homeless and at risk youth as a mentor. I was also appointed to an advisory board for mental health, just last week this opportunity expanded and I have taken on an assistant role in what is essentially the prioritising of agendas in regard to mental health facilities and organisations in Melbourne. This is a paid role but minimal. Last month I undertook full-time study to become a Youth Worker.

Couldn't be happier with the switch. I've gone from anticipating knock off from the minute I stepped foot on site to investing my time and energy beyond what is expected of me and loving it.

• Like 2

I'm moving up the corporate ladder again (assessment pending)

Moving from team management into Service Delivery Management. Nice pay jump as well as more financial responsibility. Could end up a global role soon too which would be interesting. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Meh.

I'm in a total rut professionally.

I moved very quickly from entry level to management but lately you can feel the visible shift in attitudes here. Everyone is under so much pressure which is leading to mistakes which leads to more pressure.

I'm beginning to seriously dislike it. I've been applying around - had an interview that I thought went really well but I didn't even get shortlisted. Applied for a few others but not hearing anything back.

Nothing worse than feeling stuck. My issue is that I moved up so quickly, my experience in years is low but my experience in terms of delivery is good. People look at numbers though.

• Like 1

A retired friend is going for a job as Santa at the local shopping centre. He doesn't need the cash. I think he's just a weirdo who will probably be on a register some day.

Anyway...............

He knows the interviewer asks the question :

What would you say to a child who asked for his dead mother to come back for Christmas?

Wow..............

Anyone got any ideas?

My suggestion was to say "Yep. It's guaranteed" as you will never see them again. Apparently that wasn't helpful. 

I've been working as the team lead for a few months, and I'm weighing up asking for a demotion. Dealing with other people is a ballache. It's not even line management, but just putting up with people's bullshit and trying to herd a team of software developers in to doing their job without throwing tantrums is just making me miserable. It was a reasonable pay rise, but I think I'll be happier just focusing on my own work. 

Anyone else took a step back away from the greasy pole up to manglement? 

I've felt like that in almost every job I've done. The nagging doubt that you have done the wrong thing and wanting to go back to something more familiar. But if the last post was so great, why did you even consider the new one?  I'm not saying that you shouldn't do it.  But don't do it yet. 

On a practical note is there someone who does a similar job who seems to be a success?  If so go and talk to them. Ask them if you can put 15 minutes aside every week to chat. 

I do that "old hand" role for my organisation with any new managers. Most feel like you. The ones that don't tend to be overly confident. 

If you can't find anyone in your own organisation drop me a private message with your email. I certainly know NOTHING about software development. But I have 30 years experience of dealing with people's bullshit.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I've been working as the team lead for a few months, and I'm weighing up asking for a demotion. Dealing with other people is a ballache. It's not even line management, but just putting up with people's bullshit and trying to herd a team of software developers in to doing their job without throwing tantrums is just making me miserable. It was a reasonable pay rise, but I think I'll be happier just focusing on my own work. 

Anyone else took a step back away from the greasy pole up to manglement? 

There's been an issue with this at my place lately. Within R+D they have developers managing developers and people are getting fed up, so they've started targeting non-technical, management heads to come in and lead.

I'm not technical but I manage a technical team, I think it's better that way.

Â