The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

Getting a bit fed up at work.

I started here in a pretty bog standard quality control type role. I was just happy to have a full time job with a steady income. I was on there for about 5 months before they pulled me on to a project to improve our service for the US based stuff. A couple of months after that I was called in to a meeting and asked if I'd temporarily join the accounts team as they were a little behind and I'm AAT qualified, so it was easier than bringing in someone new who would have to learn our booking system. I wasn't sure about it as I hated my AAT studies and assumed I'd hate actually working in accounts. 

I was given about a half hours training on what they actually do and left to it. After 6 weeks they asked if I'd like to keep the job on full time, and I preferred it to my other role so I decided to do it. Within 6 months I'd been given 3 pay rises. My last pay rise was October and I'm fine with what I earn, so it's not a money thing. But There's a few internal moves that've bought some other people on to accounts, who have no accounting qualifications of any kind. They've spent a month training with a HOD, and I was a bit peeved that I was thrown in and struggled a bit initially. I mentioned at my appraisal that I find my role a bit easy, that something more challenging would be nice, that I find myself losing focus and getting bored. I was told that everyone would be trained on all departments to help better with cover and make us all better rounded. 

Since the appraisal, one of the internal moves to accounts has been trained by another HOD on something, and has now landed a role on that department. It's very frustrating that I just feel I've been given no responsibility or opportunity. So now he gets to work on the most interesting department, isn't qualified and was seemingly plucked out of nowhere for it. I've nothing against him, he happens to be my best mate. But, yet again, I just feel completely under appreciated and left on the shelf.

24 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Getting a bit fed up at work.

I started here in a pretty bog standard quality control type role. I was just happy to have a full time job with a steady income. I was on there for about 5 months before they pulled me on to a project to improve our service for the US based stuff. A couple of months after that I was called in to a meeting and asked if I'd temporarily join the accounts team as they were a little behind and I'm AAT qualified, so it was easier than bringing in someone new who would have to learn our booking system. I wasn't sure about it as I hated my AAT studies and assumed I'd hate actually working in accounts. 

I was given about a half hours training on what they actually do and left to it. After 6 weeks they asked if I'd like to keep the job on full time, and I preferred it to my other role so I decided to do it. Within 6 months I'd been given 3 pay rises. My last pay rise was October and I'm fine with what I earn, so it's not a money thing. But There's a few internal moves that've bought some other people on to accounts, who have no accounting qualifications of any kind. They've spent a month training with a HOD, and I was a bit peeved that I was thrown in and struggled a bit initially. I mentioned at my appraisal that I find my role a bit easy, that something more challenging would be nice, that I find myself losing focus and getting bored. I was told that everyone would be trained on all departments to help better with cover and make us all better rounded. 

Since the appraisal, one of the internal moves to accounts has been trained by another HOD on something, and has now landed a role on that department. It's very frustrating that I just feel I've been given no responsibility or opportunity. So now he gets to work on the most interesting department, isn't qualified and was seemingly plucked out of nowhere for it. I've nothing against him, he happens to be my best mate. But, yet again, I just feel completely under appreciated and left on the shelf.

Just keep pushing them, mate.

I've said it before on here, unless you're an absolute high flyer, the only way you get promotions and moves at work is by asking for them. Arrange another 1:1 with your boss and tell them the same thing. You want more responsibility or a different challenge or whatever. It won't happen otherwise.

Obviously do it professionally. But most likely it won't happen otherwise. You basically need to tell people what you want and if they're a decent boss they'll help you get it.

If you just chug along doing your job, especially if you do your job well, bosses are just happy to let you get on with it. They'll never think "oh I wonder if Kurtis Mon W would rather do something else?"

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've said it before on here, unless you're an absolute high flyer, the only way you get promotions and moves at work is by asking for them. Arrange another 1:1 with your boss and tell them the same thing. You want more responsibility or a different challenge or whatever. It won't happen otherwise.

Obviously do it professionally. But most likely it won't happen otherwise. You basically need to tell people what you want and if they're a decent boss they'll help you get it.

If you just chug along doing your job, especially if you do your job well, bosses are just happy to let you get on with it. They'll never think "oh I wonder if Kurtis Mon W would rather do something else?"

This. And you can word it in a way that is positive from their viewpoint, so not so much “ I want, I need...” , but more like “I feel I can contribute more to the business than my current role, which constrains the value I can add” type of thing. Backed up with the example you’ve given - that you’ve proved already, twice over, that you have been willing to move to help, that you’ve settled to new roles with little burden on them, that your moving has broadened your knowledge and skills and made use of your training....that kind of stuff.

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

This. And you can word it in a way that is positive from their viewpoint, so not so much “ I want, I need...” , but more like “I feel I can contribute more to the business than my current role, which constrains the value I can add” type of thing. Backed up with the example you’ve given - that you’ve proved already, twice over, that you have been willing to move to help, that you’ve settled to new roles with little burden on them, that your moving has broadened your knowledge and skills and made use of your training....that kind of stuff.

Yeah absolutely.

Don't go in saying "I need/i want/i deserve" etc

It's ok to say what you want, but yeah word it constructively. I can handle more responsibility, I'd be good at this, I'd contribute with this etc

Basically you need to be proactive. Stuff rarely falls into your lap at work, I find.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I'm seeing HR tomorrow so will keep this in mind. I think I'm just frustrated my mate has had this all handed to him, when I've flagged it and nothing has been done. 

I know the feeling. I've been in similar positions where you think (or know) you're more deserving of something and someone else gets handed it.

Sometimes you're wrong and they are more deserving, sometimes they've been asking behind the scenes and you haven't realised, or sometimes you have been **** over and someone really has got something you should have got.

You just need to make sure that next time something like that comes up that you're in consideration. Make sure people know you're looking for that opportunity. If the opportunity comes up you want them to be thinking "Oh, Kourtsey Minnow was interested in an opportunity like this"

You have to just be a pain sometimes. Like I said, if you have a half decent manager they'll want to help you get what you want. It makes both of you look good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I know the feeling. I've been in similar positions where you think (or know) you're more deserving of something and someone else gets handed it.

Sometimes you're wrong and they are more deserving, sometimes they've been asking behind the scenes and you haven't realised, or sometimes you have been **** over and someone really has got something you should have got.

You just need to make sure that next time something like that comes up that you're in consideration. Make sure people know you're looking for that opportunity. If the opportunity comes up you want them to be thinking "Oh, Kourtsey Minnow was interested in an opportunity like this"

You have to just be a pain sometimes. Like I said, if you have a half decent manager they'll want to help you get what you want. It makes both of you look good.

I spoke with HR.

It really is a case of knowing I'm more deserving, but sometimes it doesn't pay to be a quiet person who just gets on with things. I'm AAT level 4 qualified, he's recently started his level 2. I've been on the accounts team for 15 months, he's been on it for 7. We do a slightly different role, so it's hard to compare stats - but my stats are the highest of my team. He's just a very outgoing person who banters with everyone, whereas I'm more of a head down and just chat to the people around me, and I suppose that's worked for him.

Even the girl in HR seemed a little confused by it and said she'll speak to my manager about it. She's aware of my anxiety issues and such, and said she won't say I've come up to see her about that, but it just came up in our monthly catchup. One of the reasons I didn't feel I could go directly to her was that I'm terrified of pissing off my boss, because then it's a case of having to leave.

• Like 1

Sounds like you've made the right moves so far play. Only other thing I can add, which may not be at all useful is just looking elsewhere, if a given company doesn't recognise what you can offer then another one almost certainly will. My previous role was pretty dead end, no chance of progression and not enough autonomy and I moved into a role where I'm getting pay rises regularly and am front and centre of what we offer to stakeholders. It has worked out a lot better. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I spoke with HR.

It really is a case of knowing I'm more deserving, but sometimes it doesn't pay to be a quiet person who just gets on with things. I'm AAT level 4 qualified, he's recently started his level 2. I've been on the accounts team for 15 months, he's been on it for 7. We do a slightly different role, so it's hard to compare stats - but my stats are the highest of my team. He's just a very outgoing person who banters with everyone, whereas I'm more of a head down and just chat to the people around me, and I suppose that's worked for him.

Even the girl in HR seemed a little confused by it and said she'll speak to my manager about it. She's aware of my anxiety issues and such, and said she won't say I've come up to see her about that, but it just came up in our monthly catchup. One of the reasons I didn't feel I could go directly to her was that I'm terrified of pissing off my boss, because then it's a case of having to leave.

Yep sounds like it's exactly what we were suggesting. You're just quietly getting on with your job. And the fact you're doing it well probably goes against you because if a manager has an employee that does their job well and doesn't make a fuss, they're usually more than happy to keep them there doing that job. Or they genuinely don't realise you don't want to do anything different

It's **** stupid, but that's how it works most of the time unfortunately.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

@Stevo985 The two women on my department both said they're probably just happy with our team and saw no need to change it. I'm hoping that and a few changes within the company are the reasons these last few months haven't seen me given the opportunity to progress. It really is far too easy for me, which makes it hard to get through the day. I've never considered myself particularly intelligent or ambitious, but I know I'm of far more use to the company than this. It's been flagged now, and hopefully with the company growing it'll mean more spaces open up elsewhere on our accounts team.

@Dr_Pangloss Leaving is something I would have to consider at some point, if there's no progress. My issue isn't a money thing, but I'm very aware of how underpaid I am, and it seems mental to me that they aren't giving me more of a challenge. They won't find anyone externally who will fill these roles for anywhere near what I'm being paid, so I'm definitely the cheaper option too. Ideally I wouldn't want to leave, they've been fantastic to me on a personal level.

• Like 2

Interview at the QE yesterday, They grilled me pretty hard but I feel like I absolutely smashed it. Probably the most in depth interview I've ever had, one of the interviewers said there's a lot of questions to get through so don't worry if you get a blank we can come back to it later. I didn't need to I had an answer for everything they threw at me and then we had a chat afterwards. Feeling very positive, hoping for a call later this afternoon.

• Like 3

On 24/06/2019 at 16:23, Stevo985 said:

Kurt Simon W is what I always thought it was.. WTF 😐 

10 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

It is.

Oddly, when I used to play a lot of COD  with @Rino8 (what happened to him?) there would be a few people online who thought my name was Kurtis Mon, usually followed by "is a faggot".

As for the job stuff.. it seems to have worked. One of the managers at work had a 10 minute chat with me yesterday evening and it seems like I'm going to be given a bit more of a challenge. Baby steps, but it seems like something will be happening which is nice! Apparently the guy that got the role, it was simply that someone new came in to the department and they felt she best fit his department, so they moved him to accommodate, nothing more.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

It is.

Oddly, when I used to play a lot of COD  with @Rino8 (what happened to him?) there would be a few people online who thought my name was Kurtis Mon, usually followed by "is a faggot".

As for the job stuff.. it seems to have worked. One of the managers at work had a 10 minute chat with me yesterday evening and it seems like I'm going to be given a bit more of a challenge. Baby steps, but it seems like something will be happening which is nice! Apparently the guy that got the role, it was simply that someone new came in to the department and they felt she best fit his department, so they moved him to accommodate, nothing more.

@Rino8 was killed for his horn :( :( 

I lol'd at the "is a faggot" comment :lol:  

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

It is. I was joking because I used to read it as Kurtis Mon. Hence:

On 25/06/2019 at 08:30, Stevo985 said:

"Oh, Kourtsey Minnow was interested in an opportunity like this"

Our company is being taken over. We go from being about 100 to 1000 employees. Doesn't affect me that much work-wise but it's always a hassle, blah 😤

• 2 weeks later...

We rank no.3 in the most watched basketball videos in Australia because we are unearthing ballers like A'Villan. Melbourne based ballers like him needs to be showcased in an open league. Dude's very tactical and showed his veteran level of playing. Watch how he dropped bombs against a team who are BACK2BACK Champions in MBL. Serious Firepower mate

Snippet of text from my highlights reel video from last Saturday's game. I edited out my real name. We are the highest scoring team in the division and are sitting second on the ladder.

Great start to the season as a team, I started slowly but scored double digits in the last two. Organised serious workouts with some established Aussie athletes next week and beyond.

The truth is I should be scoring 40 points a game. I score 10 in the first quarter frequently, only for my fitness levels to let me down from there. Hence the serious upcoming workouts.

They say I'm very tactical, which is a compliment but only reminds me that it is my reading of the game that allows me to stay competitive over 40 minutes. Fitness is painfully poor.

If my fitness levels were anywhere near where I want them to be, they'd be seeing a lot more of my technical game.

I shot at over 70% last game, didn't misplace a pass, including one around the back dime through traffic to an open shooter, another a weighted lob over the D to a baseline cut.

I brought the ball up roughly a quarter of the time, wasn't stripped of possession once. I put that down to a combination of decent handles and making reads.

Had a drive through three defenders, when I met the third I threw a dummy pass to throw a 6'10 dude and he went for it, was fouled as I scored the lay in by a trail defender.

I might not be a flair player, and you will rarely see me drive at the rim with multiple defenders protecting it, that's probably why they call me tactical.

Probably the biggest compliment I got was just today from a veteran, he said I have a very deliberate and decisive game, always under control.

Honestly if I get my fitness to where it needs to be for the top tier, I can smell it. I've played on the same team as dudes who had trials with NBA teams.

The difference between me and them is, they can hold it down for 40 minutes reliably. I can't. I don't have the stamina for it, final energy reserves are for not being a defensive liability.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'll stop clogging up this thread with my sh*t for a little while after this..

But I will post a highlights compilation of my basketball season, at the end of the season, as every game is streamed live and recorded.

They have already published a personal mixtape for me highlighting my efforts against the back-to-back reigning champs, who we beat by 25!

Â