The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

57 minutes ago, tinker said:

APPRENTICESHIPS AT JLR

This is a time like no other to begin your journey with us. An apprenticeship programme at JLR opens doors to automotive innovation and technology, enhancing your skills and experience for the future.

https://www.jaguarlandrovercareers.com/content/Apprentices/

But he is a Villa fan?

in all seriousness, thanks for this I will pass this on to him👍

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

I got the same pay rise as everyone else (after being promised more) and the increased bonus I was promised doesn't come in until 2025, by which point I'll have been doing the job for 2 years

Cool

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I retired recently at the grand old age of 53.  I decided I still had some life left in me and applied for a few volunteer jobs.   I got one at the National Trust who immediately converted it to a paid position. 

It's wonderful. 

I swapped an office, responsibilities,  full time for chatting to people about history and answering their questions about a glorious stately home and gardens for 2 or 3 days a week. 

I feel better physically and mentally. Life is good.   

Winning at life! Well done.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I retired recently at the grand old age of 53.  I decided I still had some life left in me and applied for a few volunteer jobs.   I got one at the National Trust who immediately converted it to a paid position. 

It's wonderful. 

I swapped an office, responsibilities,  full time for chatting to people about history and answering their questions about a glorious stately home and gardens for 2 or 3 days a week. 

I feel better physically and mentally. Life is good.   

Brilliant! Just the sort of 'retirement' I aspire to. What line of work were you in originally?

• 3 weeks later...

I’m really quite pissed off with my work at the moment. I’ve been doing a similar project management type role for a long time and I’m very good at it having been through the project cycle numerous times.

Someone somewhere decided I needed something else bolted onto my usual day job. This is something completely different to what I do or have experience of. Everyone else who has this similar responsibility does it as their day job so having their name attached to it as lead or owner is no problem. They know what it’s about and as they live and breath it always know status, risks, actions and stuff.

I have been given the responsibility of something I know nothing about and it’s a very complicated messy pile of shite I am not involved in. I am getting tagged into senior meetings now being asked to talk in detail about this steaming turd someone else created and has successfully ran away from.

I keep politely telling my boss I don’t think it’s right it sits with me. It should be owned by one of the army of people working with it daily but he must have been told that it’s me.

I have no aversion to extra work, I volunteered to run 2 “squads” for half of 2023 when someone left unexpectedly. That seems to have backfired as when someone finally came in to replace him it was decided I was now underworked and I got this messy disaster handed over.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this has already been discussed but.....online assessment questionnaires when applying for a new job....are they now standard ? The ones that ask "which statement best describes you ?" type ? Or "what would you do in this situation ?"

My brother has been sent one by wm police to be a call handler (that I understand) but he also just got one for the assembly line at JLR (yeah...I know 🙄) in Wolverhampton. No experience needed but....yet this assessment needs to be completed as part of their recruitment process. 

Any HR or job agency types on here able to comment ? 

Edited by mottaloo

2 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Apologies if this has already been discussed but.....online assessment questionnaires when applying for a new job....are they now standard ? The ones that ask "which statement best describes you ?" type ? Or "what would you do in this situation ?"

My brother has been sent one by wm police to be a call handler (that I understand) but he also just got one for the assembly line at JLR (yeah...I know 🙄) in Wolverhampton. No experience needed but....yet this assessment needs to be completed as part of their recruitment process. 

I've experienced one once for a company that worked in Car Finance. Small company in terms of personnel, big in terms of turnover. The role was a financial analyst, which, as long as you understand the business, can be quite a lonely job with very little interaction with other humans, and this wasn't an entry level job by any stretch. 

And it was absolutely bullshit, it was almost as bad 'if you were a breakfast cereal, which breakfast cereal would you be'. I read the first three questions and then withdrew from the process. I'm not being judged on that shit when I have almost 20 years experience in what I do at every level and type of business. No chance.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mottaloo said:

I can, there common tests, everyone revises for them. 

https://www.graduatesfirst.com/jaguar-land-rover-aptitude-tests

There attitude tests as well, for the police just google test questions for wm police, I applied for a train drivers job once , the reams of tests and whole forums set up to help was amazing......I never got the job, too clever 🙄 

For the interview people build stories from their previous jobs to answer quertion.

Eg Can you tell me a time you have gone beyond your job role to help?

Role out a story

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, tinker said:

I can, there common tests, everyone revises for them. 

https://www.graduatesfirst.com/jaguar-land-rover-aptitude-tests

There attitude tests as well, for the police just google test questions for wm police, I applied for a train drivers job once , the reams of tests and whole forums set up to help was amazing......I never got the job, too clever 🙄 

For the interview people build stories from their previous jobs to answer quertion.

Eg Can you tell me a time you have gone beyond your job role to help?

Role out a story

That's very helpful,  thanks !

• Like 1

Â