The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

On 01/06/2018 at 11:17, StefanAVFC said:

I spoke with my boss today, as I didn't want to get offered the job on Monday and shock her totally by resigning. We get on really well and I felt she deserved that.

You told your boss you're leaving before you got an offer? Ballsy move.

No, I told her that I was at the final stage. 

It would be a huge shock; even bigger than the one she actually got; is I just handed my notice in.

We have a very good relationship, I wanted to be honest.

Also, I made it really clear that I wasn't looking; and that I didn't even apply for this other job. I was headhunted and I just had 2 meetings with the guy.

Hopefully it works out. I can't think of a single scenario where it would be a good idea to tell your boss before its sorted. Rather than shock her by telling her you have a new job and leaving, you've shocked her by telling her you almost have a new job and probably leaving. But if it falls through you're now known as someone looking for a move, not in it for the long term and can forget about them investing in your career.

Good luck though!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Hopefully it works out. I can't think of a single scenario where it would be a good idea to tell your boss before its sorted. Rather than shock her by telling her you have a new job and leaving, you've shocked her by telling her you almost have a new job and probably leaving. But if it falls through you're now known as someone looking for a move, not in it for the long term and can forget about them investing in your career.

Good luck though!

I definitely see your point - I'm just hoping our relationship is good enough that if it does fall through, she won't treat me like that.

I think she overplayed her a bit too, because when we talked, she acted as if i was 100% leaving and offered me like 25% more money... I replied, I didn't want to be known as a person who leverages a company for more money.

22 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I definitely see your point - I'm just hoping our relationship is good enough that if it does fall through, she won't treat me like that.

I think she overplayed her a bit too, because when we talked, she acted as if i was 100% leaving and offered me like 25% more money... I replied, I didn't want to be known as a person who leverages a company for more money.

YA DUN GOOF'D BOY, YA DUN GOOF'D! 

Idiota. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Good luck though!

Yep, terrible strategy in 99.9% of circumstances, if the job doesn't materialise you could be in for a world of pain. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

@StefanAVFC any news on your application?

Will find out today.

On another note, been asked to do voiceover work for a big electrics company here in Lodz. It will just be contracting, probably one night a week. Nice little bonus money on the side.

Being a native speaker in a city not filled with many natives is finally coming up good :D

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/06/2018 at 19:39, Xela said:

Thinking about applying for a new job at work. Completely different to what I'm doing now but after 10 years in sales and relationship management, I think I maybe need a change otherwise I will go stale. 

Coming back to this, decided to withdraw my application. While it would have been a promotion on paper the likelihood is that if I was successful I would be earning a lot less than what I do now as a top performer in sales (due to the bonus remuneration structure)

Money isn't everything but it'll help me if I want to retire early! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Wish me luck,  VT. I'm about ten days from opening my business. Cafe/beer & wine store. Got all my licenses sorted. Inventory coming next week. I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't planning things around World Cup games ?

"You don't say good luck, you say, don't give up"

Congratulations, I hope it is a worthwhile endeavour for you.

One of my basketball teammates was offered a $300,000 contract last year, I'm hoping that'll be me in the next few years. At 28 I don't have too many seasons left in me, but said teammate had never seen anything near that sort of money and is now 33, that's fairly significant money for Aussie basketball too. I'd need to put in work to get to his level, more than I'm on track for, but it's not beyond me.

I have also recently been appointed to a mental health advisory board, in which I am part of the process of developing policy, addressing client complaints, interviewing potential psychiatrists and psychologists, reviewing and implementing  systems, among other things. It's a role I'm really pleased to take on and hoping I can make some meaningful contribution to what is an integral part of the support delivered to people with mental health vulnerabilities.

After roughly 8 years, I worked my last day in construction a fortnight ago. While it amazes me what can be achieved through the labour and thinking that goes in to building, it's not for me. Especially not being a semi pro athlete as well, too physically demanding.

I am also a volunteer youth mentor for at risk youth in one suburbs commission housing project and a volunteer with the Salvation Army.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A'Villan said:

"You don't say good luck, you say, don't give up"

Congratulations, I hope it is a worthwhile endeavour for you.

One of my basketball teammates was offered a $300,000 contract last year, I'm hoping that'll be me in the next few years. At 28 I don't have too many seasons left in me, but said teammate had never seen anything near that sort of money and is now 33, that's fairly significant money for Aussie basketball too. I'd need to put in work to get to his level, more than I'm on track for, but it's not beyond me.

I have also recently been appointed to a mental health advisory board, in which I am part of the process of developing policy, addressing client complaints, interviewing potential psychiatrists and psychologists, reviewing and implementing  systems, among other things. It's a role I'm really pleased to take on and hoping I can make some meaningful contribution to what is an integral part of the support delivered to people with mental health vulnerabilities.

After roughly 8 years, I worked my last day in construction a fortnight ago. While it amazes me what can be achieved through the labour and thinking that goes in to building, it's not for me. Especially not being a semi pro athlete as well, too physically demanding.

I am also a volunteer youth mentor for at risk youth in one suburbs commission housing project and a volunteer with the Salvation Army.

Nice one. Aaron Baynes is a fan favorite around these parts. Every North American pro sports league is within grasp of Aussie athletes I would think. I know there's a pretty sizable baseball and basketball scene down there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Nice one. Aaron Baynes is a fan favorite around these parts. Every North American pro sports league is within grasp of Aussie athletes I would think. I know there's a pretty sizable baseball and basketball scene down there.

I would love to think that it is. I think that's one thing the U.S.A does so well, sport. Basketball over there obviously being the pinnacle for any aspiring pro.

No idea about baseball, but basketball is huge. We have a lot of kids who end up in the U.S playing college ball, but the commitments are huge and competition is amazing, as you might be aware only a half dozen or so have cracked in to the NBA meaningfully (talking about current players), but I would say that may increase in time.

The money over here pales in comparison though. Our top earners might get $200,000 annually if they are lucky.

Â