The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

On 28/06/2019 at 14:35, V01 said:

Update:

Had a phonecall earlier to tell me I'd passed the interview stage and will be given a start date following vetting.

Still in vetting, had 3 or 4 email exchanges over the last month where they've asked for one final thing as it's almost complete. Full proof of employment first time, then the reference number from my most recent DBS check, then on Thursday they want my passport (it's expired) or my NI card (lost years ago) downloaded the letter from the tax service website to send instead. 

I'm itching to hand my notice in at my current place, it pays the bills but I have no passion for what I'm doing. I think it may be because the interviewer at the New place completely sold me on the job and the company. 

Only upside to the delay is I'm accruing holiday to either to boost my final wage and cover the transition period or shorten my notice period by taking it in lieu. 

Had my start date earlier, 3 weeks today. My notice period is 4 weeks.

Rushed to work to put my notice in and speak with my manager but she was in a meeting in Northampton all day so I left the letter on her desk. She'll most likely have left by the time I get in tomorrow night so Monday morning could be awkward.

• Like 1

On 09/08/2019 at 05:43, V01 said:

Had my start date earlier, 3 weeks today. My notice period is 4 weeks.

Rushed to work to put my notice in and speak with my manager but she was in a meeting in Northampton all day so I left the letter on her desk. She'll most likely have left by the time I get in tomorrow night so Monday morning could be awkward.

Congratulations on securing a position that seems like a good pitch and moving out of a role that, from what it comes across to me as, is purely for paying your bills and expenses.

What's there to be awkward about? Am I right in thinking you start new job in 3 weeks but were required to give 4 weeks notice to current employer?

pretty much, add in that I am/was holiday and sickness cover, where we have a few people out on holiday and another couple out sick. 

Last few nights having 3 of us covering 5 jobs wasn't fun.

Edited by V01
a word

On 28/06/2019 at 13:19, kurtsimonw said:

It is.

Oddly, when I used to play a lot of COD  with @Rino8 (what happened to him?) there would be a few people online who thought my name was Kurtis Mon, usually followed by "is a faggot".

As for the job stuff.. it seems to have worked. One of the managers at work had a 10 minute chat with me yesterday evening and it seems like I'm going to be given a bit more of a challenge. Baby steps, but it seems like something will be happening which is nice! Apparently the guy that got the role, it was simply that someone new came in to the department and they felt she best fit his department, so they moved him to accommodate, nothing more.

So it seems to have stalled, nothing has happened.

But I've been given a wage rise of over 10% so that'll shut me up for a bit I suppose. Either they're paying me more for no more work, or they'll give me the additional training I wanted to get more out of me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Final game of the regular season and it's not looking like I'll get a contract in Asia this time around. Still got the prospect of winning a championship though.

My teammate is well ahead of me averaging 25ppg and has hit 40ppg twice. I am a leading 3pt scorer but didn't put up the numbers I was hoping to over the season.

I averaged 10ppg 4rebounds 4assists and 2steals. Not enough to win the league MVP, or make a statement that will get me recruited professionally in Asia.

However it's been a good learning curve, my teammate who is looking like MVP winner, has played professionally in Turkey, Spain and over here, and believe me he lives basketball.

I never stop learning and aspiring to be better and after walking away from the game for 5 years I am just glad to be back among the players who are at the top of the game.

Some of you may know the name Ben Simmons, NBA player, his half brother is an import over here who stands at 201cm as a shooting guard is another I've had to compete with.

We match up directly this Saturday night should everything go to plan. He's a SG, same as me, and he's their top scorer and I'm our best defender.

He's got just under 20cm on me, so I'll do my best not to get dunked on at one end and blocked at the other. I'm usually a go-to player for scoring as well, but perhaps not this week.

I spoke to an old coach about rejoining a Melbourne based club at semi-professional level and he said I was more than welcome to rejoin for the coming preseason.

Fast forward a month and he's been replaced as coach by one of the greatest players to grace Australia's NBL, Lanard Copeland. So I will have to impress him now.

Still loving the game and not all that worried about the uncertainty or lack of a pay-cheque. I don't mind the grind and having to prove yourself all over again.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dubbs said:

Well yesterday I finally got offered (and accepted) a new job.   I've been in my current job for about 3 and a half years and haven't really enjoyed it at all.   Trying something a little different now.   Still within a sales role but in a different industry.   Will mean having to go abroad for a few weeks for training but im really looking forward to a job that offers a challenge.  Cheers VT'ers 🍺🤞

Good on you for trying something new mate!  All the best :thumb:

• Thanks 1

Well I put my notice in on Monday.  They asked why I was leaving and I explained because I'd been basically doing the same job for nearly 15 years albeit with different companies and didn't see a way of progressing there.  Before I joined the company we'd spoken about what I did and didn't want to be doing on a daily basis and that had basically been ignored.   Also for the passed 6-12 months there have been days away hardly anything to do which meant you lose any interest in the job over time. 

Was hoping they'd say work 2 weeks notice rather than 4 but no it's the full period 🤬.  Going to see if I have any holiday entitlement owed and use that up I think.  Roll on October!

• Like 1

I'm looking for something else, as I'm moving in with my girlfriend in another city.

However, **** 3 month notice period. 3 whole months. Meaning if I don't find anything by end of september, I can't start anything until February.

Worried it'll be a big putoff for employers and it's delaying my plans too.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

whats the worst that can happen if you walk out the day after pay day?

I'd rather not burn bridges. But true, they'd drop me in a heartbeat if it suited them.

Senior mgmt at this place are scum.

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

whats the worst that can happen if you walk out the day after pay day?

I'd never hire someone who was prepared to drop their employer in it by bailing on their contracted notice period. If they've done it to them, they'll do it to me and they've proven themselves to be untrustworthy.

I've missed out on a couple of jobs in the past when the new employer has expected me to renege on my notice period to join them quicker but I just think it's really bad form.

• Like 1

i can understand that but at the same time I suppose it depends what you do and how much they actually value you

if the 3 months is an unrealistic period or you are easily replaceable then id ask to have it reduced, in my interview I would say 3 months but I will ask the question about leaving earlier*

FWIW I rejected 3 months at my previous employer saying it was unnecessary for my role, I also walked out on them 2 days early following pay day in order to beat Brexit (it was delayed anyway but all my flights etc were booked) but I had done all my work and handed everything over about 2 weeks before that date anyway, Im still friends with my boss, we went for a beer the week before i left, I genuinely don't think he even noticed me do it

* I know my previous company recompensed 2 people for walking out early and a 3rd person got offered it but said no

my current employers in Germany just let a guy in the office next to me go 5 weeks earlier than his 3 months because he'd done all his work basically, pure timing, its not worth putting him on the new projects that will last until next year

It's tricky.

I plan to move down there from January. I can work from the office down there but I'd rather not.

Also new employers might get candidates they dont need to wait until January/February to hire.

I don't want to open this conversation with my boss as we get on and I don't want him knowing I'm thinking of resigning. He knows I want to move in January down south.

I'm having to get on the job search game. Lost my last job through ill health, and now it's a case of necessity to get back to things. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to find much. My experience is all in insurance of various forms (the industry that employs people who didn;t know what else to do) and I'd rather kinda get away from that. I didn't really enjoy the industry, I never felt comfortable in it and the things I've enjoyed about my jobs has been the people I've worked with and the odd moment where you help a client and they are genuinely happy with what you've done.

But I dunno what else I can do. I know I'm not a salesman.

10 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'm having to get on the job search game. Lost my last job through ill health, and now it's a case of necessity to get back to things. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to find much. My experience is all in insurance of various forms (the industry that employs people who didn;t know what else to do) and I'd rather kinda get away from that. I didn't really enjoy the industry, I never felt comfortable in it and the things I've enjoyed about my jobs has been the people I've worked with and the odd moment where you help a client and they are genuinely happy with what you've done.

But I dunno what else I can do. I know I'm not a salesman.

Recruitment

Â