Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Roy Keane spotted at Wolves

Looking at Danny Batth?

I'd be very surprised if we signed this guy. He looked solid, and I reckon he'll go for money eventually, but we currently have 5CB's, 6 if you count Herd, and it seems like a position we just don't need to strengthen in. What's more, Batth is only tested at League 1 level, which would go against everything we've been doing in signing experience this window.

Very true and I agree but not all our signings need to be experienced. If the opportunity arised I'm sure a young (ish) player would be signed. We needed more experience not a total overhaul of it.

Maybe another young-ish player, but not this one. Apart from the amount of competition for the spot, there's also the matter of the fee - he's under contract and highly-valued, if we bought him, we wouldn't be able to buy anybody else. 

TBH, I think any young-ish player is unlikely. Signing 'projects' failed terribly last year, and all our purchases this summer have been about adding experience. In addition, we're at the squad-size limit, so anyone young-but-over-21-but-not-ready-to-start (ie, like Batth) can be ruled out immediately. 

Baker would have to progress a hell of a lot to reach Clark's level of crapness now.

Baker has all the physicality of a brutal centre back, with exception to the fact he has the turning circle of a Combine Harvester stuck in treacle. Unfortunately, he is all brawn and no brains and that's just not good enough for Premier League standard.

Clark at least has a bit of a footballing brain. He's a bit lightweight for my liking and he's not particularly good, but he's better than Nathan 'always got a mistake or an own goal in me' Baker. 

Agree on Baker. Clark reminds me a little of a poor-man's Liam Ridgewell (if that's possible), and may scratch a living at a championship club (maybe us!) in the future,  whereas Baker just looks like a lower-league player thrown in at the deep end, and never learns from his mistakes.

Some more information here. 

In his first press conference, ‘La Roca’ addressed the rumours of his departure and admits that there have been offers and he isn’t forcing through any kind of transfer.

“Clearly there are offers.  As a footballer, it’s not for me to talk about, I just play and train.  In the end, we’ll make the best decision for the club and Carlos Sanchez.

“The offers? it’d be a lack of respect to my team and it’s fans to say who.  I’m happy to stay here and continue with Elche, because here I’ve felt, from the very first day, their affection.

“Forcing a transfer to QPR? Those reports are false.  I have a contract with Elche and nothing that has been said has been confirmed.

“The rest is just rumours because I have nothing concrete on the table.  There things coming from all sides.  If I leave, it’ll be for the better.  That’s the idea, but I’d be incredibly sad to leave this place where they’ve made me feel content and happy.”

http://www.insidespanishfootball.com/119379/carlos-sanchez-im-happy-to-stay-at-elche/

This article was Wednesday 6th however. 

Edited by JoeParker91

Without getting into the Clark vs Baker debate, imho Baker has give far less goals away than Clark in watching them the last 3 seasons, and indeed his last ditch tackles have saved us on a few occasions.Remember the QPR game which we went on to win, he must have saved at least a couple of goals in that game.

Clark reminds me of Dean Glover, but not as good.

• Like 1

Christ its absolutely ridiculous on TBAR with their desperation to appear ITK.

Eastie has been able to check with his sources at Bham Airport as to if Sanchez had been booked on a flight by AVFC.

How old are these people?

Even you had got this right, why so angry? What's the big deal about what's going on on another site?

Because the mods are so keen to seen as ITK when they quite plainly aren't and don't mind misleading Villa fans into the bargain.

Let's see if Eastie was right to claim that Sanchez is due at BMH or yet again has took the pee.

Probably from here .. (warning.. twitter alert)

Carlos Sanchez trains with Elche which ends speculation...for now.

Good find.

Whilst I have no reason to doubt the information that Sanchez was in training today, it looks like a fan driven Twitter feed and is not followed by the official Elche account.

Still, a lot more credible than someone spotting him on a Ryanair flight I guess.

Roy Keane spotted at Wolves

Looking at Danny Batth?

I'd be very surprised if we signed this guy. He looked solid, and I reckon he'll go for money eventually, but we currently have 5CB's, 6 if you count Herd, and it seems like a position we just don't need to strengthen in. What's more, Batth is only tested at League 1 level, which would go against everything we've been doing in signing experience this window.

We currently have 5 CB's but only 3 are prem standard

We need to get rid of Clark and Baker ASAP

Whereas batth who spent last year playing in league 1 will be premier league standard?

I'm not going to be daft and say he's not any better than baker or Clark but I can see wolves wanting over £5m for him, and I'm not convinced by that

• Like 1

Eastie has been able to check with his sources at Bham Airport as to if Sanchez had been booked on a flight by AVFC.

Even you had got this right, why so angry? What's the big deal about what's going on on another site?
What's the big deal with sticking up for TBAR, andy? Ay, ay?? I've got you sussed. You're a TBAR-er and you're just here to steal our transfer gossip!

What's the big deal with sticking up for TBAR, andy? Ay, ay?? I've got you sussed. You're a TBAR-er and you're just here to steal our transfer gossip!

profile_picture_by_u_wot_m8-d534u82.jpg

• Like 1