Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Just a quick post, that wages list is complete bollocks the accounts don't list individuals wages just the headline figure of everyones wages in total.

Aside from that we all know a few players on that list are on way higher wages such as delph and gabby

No post for a whole day? Well to kick start some discussion:

Do you think we will, more often than not, play with a midfield three again next year? Personally I think that's what has worked well for us this season, when we've played our best. It hasn't always been effective. I'm currently looking for other teams in Europe who also play with a playmaking/intercepting central figure in a marginally deeper position flanked by two more box-to-box types. This is the structure I think we'll continue playing with current personnel next season as I'm not expecting a radical overhaul of the squad.

Just wondered if others felt the same or if we'll go in a different direction. Deeper middle figure, with a fourth guy at a point of a narrow diamond perhaps? Change to a 2 deep, one attacking mid?

I think Lambert likes to use the diamond formation quite a bit with the width coming from the fullbacks. We might play it more if he gets someone more effective he can use at the top of the diamond?

That 4-3-3 seems to be his staple formation though.

I think it will all depend on how Lambert is backed. If he is given the finances to bring in a player to play the tip of the diamond then I'm certain we will have to bolster our midfield at the back.

If he isn't going to bring in such a player though, I expect we will bring in somebody that presses high up the pitch and tries to win the ball. A better version of KEA I guess.

Of course the best option would be to bring in players that allow us to alternate.

Lots of exciting midfielders out there for the summer, some vague links to to Vadis Odidja and Jens Toornstra over the last months. Both look exciting, good players.

I guess Benteke goes after the WC, big thing will be to replace him IMO.

On which planet does Welbeck leave Man United and Sigurdsson leave Spurs to join Aston Villa?

Welbeck?  No thanks.  Sigurdsson?  Yes please.  When normal service is resumed and we are sitting above Spurs next season we'll snap the Icelandic lad up.

Sigurdsson will want regular first team football somewhere, I don't think it's that out of the question and he'd certainly be an exciting signing.

He's played in 18 league games this season (out of 30) and also in 7 Europa League games.

I don't see why he'd move from a side pushing for CL qualification to come to Villa for the sake of an extra 10 games in a season?