Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

When benteke leaves which striker could we possibly sign to have a impact in our team?

Ibrahimovic....... ;)

Naah we should go get Michy Batshuayi, Maxi Lestienne and Kouyate from the Pro League.... That would help replace the big man!

I really can't see Benteke leaving....last year we did not want to sell and demanded 25mil for a move. 

All that has changed is he is now tied down to a longer contract and having a worse-off season....I can't see lambert/villa wanting to sell, so clubs would have to force our hand....can you really see anyone wanting to pay more that 25mil for Benteke now?

I really can't see Benteke leaving....last year we did not want to sell and demanded 25mil for a move. 

All that has changed is he is now tied down to a longer contract and having a worse-off season....I can't see lambert/villa wanting to sell, so clubs would have to force our hand....can you really see anyone wanting to pay more that 25mil for Benteke

I think it depends on how well he performs in the World Cup

If Benteke goes, the most important signing of the summer will be his replacement. Lambert has to get that right.

An AM would be next on the list in terms of importance.

Ha.. wouldnt surprise me if we ended the summer withhout an AM again.

They're tough to find you know!

The unknown factor in a lot of these discussions is the World Cup. History shows that a player's profile can dramatically rise and fall as a result of international competitions and as a result how desirable they may be to other teams.

As for Benteke in particular, Villa's valutation of him wont have changed. Upwards of £20m. His value in the eyes of other teams has probably fallen somewhat this season, but not terribly. A strong world cup could bring back suitors. Again, I don't think we would sell him unless either we get a bid that we simply can't say no to (which is unlikely to happen) or we had a deal with Christian himself that we would let him go this summer after one more season for us (which we have no way of knowing if such a deal exists).

I think Welbeck is going to be a decent player, I recon a lot of people have written him off a bit too soon.

He is decent, but he's not and never will be leading the line at a top club.  I would've said Man Utd but he might do well to stay put now :)

I think Welbeck is going to be a decent player, I recon a lot of people have written him off a bit too soon.

Welbeck is just a skinnier version of Heskey, players who play with him lprobabally love his work rate etc but he Just doesn't score enough goals himself. Good foil for Benteke but would be a shocking replacement

I consider Welbeck as a more expensive version of Weimann. Full of endeavor and movement, capable of moments of the sublime, but currently lacks any kind of consistency to his game.

Welbeck and Henderson are probably the most overrated players in Premier League

Not sure who overrates Welbeck, unless you like strikers who cant score. Henderson has been quality this season

Seriously, this.

Henderson has been absolutely superb for Liverpool this season and Welbeck is underrated if anything (I don't think he's that great at all, mind).

Not sure who overrates Welbeck, unless you like strikers who cant score. Henderson has been quality this season

Seriously, this.

Henderson has been absolutely superb for Liverpool this season and Welbeck is underrated if anything (I don't think he's that great at all, mind).

He's superb on what basis? By just doing unrisky passes and let Gerrard, Sturridge,Suarez and Sterling do all the job. Seriously, had he played on a mid-table side he would be average at best.

If we are to buy another striker it should be in the mould of Benteke so and I am not saying buy any of these players but someone like Lukaku/Drogba/Bony/Giroud to mention players who have recently played in our league.

It is important however to highlight the difference now between a wide striker and a striker.

The role of a wide striker in a 4-3-3 is to drop into midfield on the wing to pack the midfield when without possession not to stay up front like you would expect from Kozak/Benteke. This means players like Young or Nani at Utd are more suited to this role than say a Welbeck or Weimann who would under the old 4-4-2 system simply be the number 10 to play off the 9.

The remit for such a player should be : can play on the wing, is creative, has good movement and can score 10-15 goals a year.

I think it is key that we strengthen areas in the creative department primarily, rather than trying to buy another striker who has to carry the entire team in the final third. If we can bring in another striker but also creative midfielders/wingers that can feed our strikers, we won't need to splash out on somebody hoping they'll be the 'new Benteke'

Edited by samjp26

He's superb on what basis? By just doing unrisky passes and let Gerrard, Sturridge,Suarez and Sterling do all the job. Seriously, had he played on a mid-table side he would be average at best.

I have to question whether you have watched Liverpool at all this season reading this.

Seriously, this.

He did play for a mid-table side, then got a £20M transfer to Liverpool

I have to question whether you have watched Liverpool at all this season reading this.

I think the more prominent question is; Have you seen football? (given the range of comments across the threads)