Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Didn't relly know where to put this, but it's got Kiyotake so I thought this place would be most adequate. Only watched him once in action, but seems a good guy

What the hell is wrong with number 25's head?!lol

That is a shocking hair cut - He should have been sent off for that, let alone the dodgy penalty....

• Like 1

For me we still need a CB for sure.  Its clear that when Vlarr is out we struggle big time.  I hope Okore comes good but realistically he is an uproven premier league player with potential coming back from a long injury.

I would sell Clarke as I dont think he is good enough to be a prem CB.  Baker has won be over the past few games, he is strong in the air, with experience he will cut out lunging in to tackle, and hopefully with a decent full back next to him, the onus wont be down to him to distribute the ball.

I would sign:

Caulker from Cardiff once they get relegated.

Naughton fromn Tottenham

Bertrand from Chelsea

Defence would then be sorted:

Guzan / Steer

Naughton Vlarr Caulker Bertrand

Lowton Okore Baker Bennett/Luna

THis would then free up Bacuna to challenge for a right wing spot.

My two objectives for the summer would be:

To make sure we can deal with Vlarr missing matches.  In my opinion this involves buying another CB.

We can break lower-league teams down at home.

If we deal with these we're an upper mid table side.  Away from home we already have the set-up (with Vlarr in the team).  And if we could just win our fair share of home matches we would be safe.

By keeping clean sheets we have already proved we can score goals, and on Sundays for we have a midfield three who can work against top opposition.  We do need an attacking MF though

If Lowton goes I'd look at Gōtoku Sakai from Stuttgart. 23 Y /O Japanese international RB. Also always thought Fulhams Alexander Kačaniklić is a good prospect for centre mid or left wing only 22 Y/O. Like the sound of Locadia from PSV if the unfortunate happens and benteke leaves. Raw talent and unproven I know but so was Benteke and we aren't going to be able to buy a direct replacement

• Like 2

I always like looking at the relegated sides for players to poach. If Fulham, Cardiff and (for example) Norwich go down, there will be a decent handful of players who would want to stay in the Prem and probably wouldn't ask for wages above what we can afford.

I always like looking at the relegated sides for players to poach. If Fulham, Cardiff and (for example) Norwich go down, there will be a decent handful of players who would want to stay in the Prem and probably wouldn't ask for wages above what we can afford.

I'd take Fer, Hooper & Redmond from Norwich . Though highly unlikely they would deal with us. As I said above always thought Alexander Kačaniklić has talent they also have Pajtim Kasami & Konstantinos_Mitroglou. Not sure who is take from Cardiff. Caulker is the obvious though he will go to a team higher up regardless of if they stay up.

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

I wouldn't waste money on a central defender or right back. We'll have Okore, Baker, Clark and Vlaar to chose from in the middle. We'll also have Lowton and Bacuna to chose from at right-back. Bacuna has the engine to be a quality attacking right-back. We haven't seen as much promise from him in a forward position, really.

I would much rather we spent the money on Betrand, a quality centre-mid and an attacking centre-mid.

I think this is pretty much all we need to be honest, preferably a Centre Mid powerhouse type (Yaya Toure esque). Unless one of the other attackers leave. Hopefully Tonev, Helenius etc come good too!

• Like 1

For me we still need a CB for sure.  Its clear that when Vlarr is out we struggle big time.  I hope Okore comes good but realistically he is an uproven premier league player with potential coming back from a long injury.

I would sell Clarke as I dont think he is good enough to be a prem CB.  Baker has won be over the past few games, he is strong in the air, with experience he will cut out lunging in to tackle, and hopefully with a decent full back next to him, the onus wont be down to him to distribute the ball.

I would sign:

Naughton fromn Tottenham

Bertrand from Chelsea

Guzan / Steer

Sorry but I don't see what Clark has done so terribly wrong to be deemed "Not good enough to be a prem CB", there are worse than him around for sure.

• Like 3

For the people who want another CB: Let's say we do go for one, what calibre are you thinking? Vlaar and Okore (when fit) are clearly going to be the first choice pairing, so we're looking for someone who'd be backup right? That'd mean we'd need to sign someone better than Clark and Baker, but would someone who's better than them come knowing they're only going to be there to be backup in case one of the main 2 get injured? I'm not so sure. I doubt there's anyone we could bring in that'd be as good as Clark and Baker to be honest, and I doubt we're going to go looking for a first teamer given that the midfield needs the most work. If we did go for a CB, I'd be willing to wager it'll be a prospect, or someone from the lower leagues who'll be happy enough not to be playing too much for a year or two. The unknown quantity of Okore is what I can see scuppering any move for a good CB, so I think people shouldn't be too disappointed if/when we don't bring one in

• Like 3

I think Cardiff would be the only goer from the 3 teams you've suggsted....Fulham do pay quite well, and I can't see Norwich doing business with us because of Lambert.

Quite like the look of Medel at Cardiff, he's just the sort of nasty word removed that you love when he's playing for you and hate when he's against you - but he can play too!

I don't know, Fulham spend big on known or ageing players, but surely 'youngsters' like Kacaniklic and Kasami (21/22 I think) can't be on much? Norwich, you're right, would be a problem. I'd definitely go for Medel though. Him and Delph in the middle could be decent.

I would sign:

Naughton fromn Tottenham

Bertrand from Chelsea

Guzan / Steer

Sorry but I don't see what Clark has done so terribly wrong to be deemed "Not good enough to be a prem CB", there are worse than him around for sure.

I never really understood why Clark was dropped in favour of Baker, not saying Baker hasn't done well. Just saying.