Grant Holt

samjp26

Well we signed another 30+ striker with an even more dubious skill set from Wigan in the January window some years ago,  if only that had been a temporary signing

Holt is far better player...

So Holt who has spent 2 seasons in the Premier League and scored 23 top flight goals in 70 games is a far better player than Heskey who played 19 seasons in the Premier League scored over 100 goals and played 62 times for England?

Well there's about 10 Premier League managers and 4 England managers that disagree with you, never mind countless top players.

Ivanoe was shit for us but in terms of quality and achievements Holt isn't fit to clean his boots. 

Blimey - Heskey has a fan.....

Not a fan but realistically to say Holt is a better footballer than Heskey is complete b*llocks just trying to justify an incredibly poor signing made by a desperate man who no longer knows how to spot a decent player!

Our scouting system seems to be Lamberts little black book from 2005?

Did you not read my original post ?   - Holt is far better than Heskey.....its not even up for discussion.....

That's funny, so when Heskey was playing in the Premier League it was a different Grant Holt playing in the 3rd Division because the Grant Holt we have signed was playing  for Barca or Real as he is such a footballing great?? Nathan Baker, has more top flight experience than Holt!

There's only Lambert who has ever thought Holt was good enough (and you) the rest of the footballing world bows to your superior knowledge??

I'll admit there have been some overreactions on here but can we clarify, without pointing fingers (as there has been a lot of personal sniping), that:

Supporting Holt does not = delighted we have signed him

Not supporting Holt does not = overreacting and/or being impossible to please

Welcome to the club Grant. Looking forward to experience, effort and a few goals. Ready-made replacement for Kozak IMV.

your common sense isnt welcome around here :P

:P Yeah I noticed I interrupted a classic game of statistics top trumps based on previous seasons. They're right up there with my favourite kinds of productive discussion :)
  • Like 1

Well we signed another 30+ striker with an even more dubious skill set from Wigan in the January window some years ago,  if only that had been a temporary signing

Holt is far better player...

So Holt who has spent 2 seasons in the Premier League and scored 23 top flight goals in 70 games is a far better player than Heskey who played 19 seasons in the Premier League scored over 100 goals and played 62 times for England?

Well there's about 10 Premier League managers and 4 England managers that disagree with you, never mind countless top players.

Ivanoe was shit for us but in terms of quality and achievements Holt isn't fit to clean his boots. 

Blimey - Heskey has a fan.....

Not a fan but realistically to say Holt is a better footballer than Heskey is complete b*llocks just trying to justify an incredibly poor signing made by a desperate man who no longer knows how to spot a decent player!

Our scouting system seems to be Lamberts little black book from 2005?

Did you not read my original post ?   - Holt is far better than Heskey.....its not even up for discussion.....

That's funny, so when Heskey was playing in the Premier League it was a different Grant Holt playing in the 3rd Division because the Grant Holt we have signed was playing  for Barca or Real as he is such a footballing great?? Nathan Baker, has more top flight experience than Holt!

There's only Lambert who has ever thought Holt was good enough (and you) the rest of the footballing world bows to your superior knowledge??

At Last - Thank You.....

I have an analogy. It's not perfect but it makes sense to an extent.

This season, the Dallas Cowboys lost their starting QB Tony Romo. They then needed cover for cover and chose to go with Jon Kitna. 'Who is Jon Kitna?' - you might ask. Jon Kitna is a 41 year old maths teacher. He retired from the league 2 years ago and American football is a sport where, generally, the players retire far sooner (the stats are scewed by 41/42 year old kickers and 5head). 

They could have gone for a young player. They could have easily gone for a fitter, better player. They went for a player who 1) knows the game 2) knows the team 3) has experience and leadership

As I said this isn't a perfect analogy but it helped me to get my head around the potential signing and the role that Holt could play within the squad.

The logic and reasoning behind the signing has been posted numerous times in this thread. Whether or not you agree with it is another story but it's there. To say that 'nothing makes sense' about the signing makes no sense within itself.

While he's here, lets hope for a few goals in not too many minutes.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 3

Houlston asked it earlier. If Holt is such a decent option as cover why doesn't an average championship team want him for this role?

Also could we not recall bent back? Is that not an option?

I guess re-calling Bent back means we have to pay his 60k a week wages or whatever, whereas I doubt Holt will cost half that.

to be fair Holt fell out of favour with the Wigan boss hence why hes not in the team.. maybe its not based on ability.

Hes signing now.. we have to support the bloke...... what else can we do.. its our job as a fan of the club to support the players that put on our famous claret and blue shirt. He is probably excited as it will be the biggest club he will be at and the last thing he needs is to find out noone wants him here. Lets give him a chance.. thats all we can do.

• Like 1

to be fair Holt fell out of favour with the Wigan boss hence why hes not in the team.. maybe its not based on ability.

Hes signing now.. we have to support the bloke...... what else can we do.. its our job as a fan of the club to support the players that put on our famous claret and blue shirt. He is probably excited as it will be the biggest club he will be at and the last thing he needs is to find out noone wants him here. Lets give him a chance.. thats all we can do.

At 32 he gets the call from Villa ........what more motivation do you need   #top-player-joins-villa

Wonder which bit of the project this fits in with?

The "Lambert hasn't got a ****ing clue what he's doing" bit of the project.

It is to keep the club in the division (at low cost) until Lerner sells or has a change of heart. Holt is just a short term signing to replace Kozak. 

Â