Grant Holt

samjp26

Stan: OK using your logic here - why have we not replaced a CH so quickly? We have had one out with long term injury nearly all season - someone that I think you (and apologies if it was someone else) said was a very good signing?

Now someone has mentioned it, I do think that Ireland going has freed up wages to allow for Holt which indicates that he may not be the cheap option that some were making out - plus of course you have loan fees etc. Will that have an influence on any other signings?

For me it's like Lambert is playing his first game of Football Manager and hasn't yet understood the way to get players in etc

Still got no one to pass or cross to which ever striker we play!

not unless we sign a small stature striker that can weave his own way to goal.....I guess they are just pipe dreams to us now.

Stan: OK using your logic here - why have we not replaced a CH so quickly? We have had one out with long term injury nearly all season - someone that I think you (and apologies if it was someone else) said was a very good signing?

Now someone has mentioned it, I do think that Ireland going has freed up wages to allow for Holt which indicates that he may not be the cheap option that some were making out - plus of course you have loan fees etc. Will that have an influence on any other signings?

For me it's like Lambert is playing his first game of Football Manager and hasn't yet understood the way to get players in etc

How do you know we won't replace a CH? We're only halfway through the window.

Whelan will be screwing us for every penny he can!

I'll be honest, I would've liked an experienced CB to come in too, Drat. Clark has looked good this season, but only when partner with the experienced Vlaar.

I'm hypothesizing here, but I guess the reason we didn't if because the manager thought / thinks we had sufficient cover here. Clark, Vlaar, Baker, Lowton, Herd, Donacien - I'm personally not sure about that but I would welcome an early 30's veteran CB on loan.

I don't know what the loan fees would be here, but can't imagine them to be in the Barry / Lukaku region - more than Dawkins, less than Keane I'd say.  If he's on £20k per week in the Championship then we're looking at £400k in wages + fees - or around 7 weeks of Stephen Ireland.

If we go on to sign no-one else then I'll be jumping up and down in a similar fashion to some, but I would be surprised if that were the case.

Unless this is genuinely a sign of Randy selling up, of course.

Perhaps we both need to wait until the end of the window to determine the context of signing Grant Holt.

Absolutely - BUT the CH is something that we have been missing since Aug / Sep? It's not as though this was a new requirement and we saw again last night the fragility of the current set we have. The signing of yet another forward and especially one of his talent (!) and wages was never number 1 prty. Signing a defender and a midfielder certainly was.

Absolutely - BUT the CH is something that we have been missing since Aug / Sep? It's not as though this was a new requirement and we saw again last night the fragility of the current set we have. The signing of yet another forward and especially one of his talent (!) and wages was never number 1 prty. Signing a defender and a midfielder certainly was.

Yep, I totally agree.

My only response would be that the Holt deal I imagine would have been fairly swift due to the previous relationship, Holt's desire to come here and Wigan's probable ease with letting him leave. Plus it's only a loan which tend to be easier to conclude I think.

We don't know that the midfield and CB targets (if there are any) haven't been harder to tie up.

That's all speculation though. FWIW I'd totally agree with you, which is why I've said that if Holt is our only business I'll be suitably pissed off.

There are many problems that I find about this signing.

Lambert clearly hasn't learnt his lesson about how our style of football has been this season, this signing is pretty much saying that Lambert is happy with the way we are playing and it is the way he will get the team to play for the rest of the season.

He doesn't play/isn't wanted by a Championship team who are struggling in mid-table.

The fact that we have to loan a player from a league below is completely embarrassing and if it happened to any club in this league people would be in that team's thread in Other Football laughing their heads off about it.

Finally, the player himself obviously hasn't looked after himself, has been regressing for the last 2 seasons and has somehow found a way back into the PL.

Could be worse. WHam signed Roger Johnson from a team 2 divisions below, and he went straight into their team for a cup semi-final! And Johnson has been relegated for 3 consecutive seasons.

Would Carlton Cole have been better? Or the recent free agent Marlon Harewood? Some may say Guidetti, but he has no experience!

Remember, Holt is coming in as a bench warmer, but with experience and is a player that was spoken about in England terms only 18 months ago. This isn't one to exactly celebrate, but a gap in the squad has been (amply) plugged. I reckon he will do the job that is required, which a few in the team aren't at present.

Edited by Pez1974

Â