Grant Holt

samjp26

He will be able to give Benteke a few tips on how to piss defenders off. He may be able to teach Benteke how to win more free kicks (seeing as Benteke's shirt seems to be a pull-toyy for opposition defenders at the moment). He can help some of the young lads toughen up a bit. Him and Gabby can have a contest to see who is most disliked by opposition supporters.

He will be a nusiance in the box and hopefully get a few goals for us. He would have been perfect to bring on on 80 mins last night when Lowton was banging the crosses in. The amount of stick Lambert got on here for bringing on Bowery to close out games... and now people are moaning that he has brought in a better option to do that?

Better than Bowery.  We've hit a new low in the defence of the indefensible.

I suppose the rest of the post was white noise to you?

No salient points in there at all?

Nope, none at all.  Look at Benteke last season, he has nothing to learn from Holt whatsoever.  Tell the Man U defender who he nearly crippled that he needs help pissing off defenders.  The problem with Benteke is partly that he's out of form, but mainly that he's playing in front of the worst midfield in living memory. 

A lot of people defending this signing, but I don't agree.

Clearly our finances are restricted, no one is going to debate that, so there's obviously a limit to how much we can afford to offer potential recruits both in terms of wages and transfer fees. So, to me, it makes no sense that we spend any of our limited resources on a sub-quality player that we can do without. In the grand scheme of what we need, another backup striker is right up there with replacing our reserve keeper. Yes there is some need to replace Kozak for the rest of the season, but there is an obvious and much much greater need to bring in an ACM. Beyond that, money permitting, we need cover at centre back and potentially a defensive mid who is actually capable of imposing himself on the game. So to take money away from these areas seems like a bad move to me. That said, there is an assumption on my part that our transfer dealings will be limited to players costing around £3m or below (perhaps in total), and should Lambert go out and spend £10m on Kiyotake and a half decent centre back, then all will be forgiven. But I don't see that happening; what I see happening is another couple of relatively underwhelming (though not unuseful) players like Hoolahan coming in, players who probably could be bettered if we'd saved money on the likes of Holt.

Great post

I just wonder how much of a check-up we have done before negotiating this deal.

He was never high on fitness, now he is older and he is not exactly accomplishing a lot in the lower leagues. That in itself should be a worrying sign, and he turns 33 in a few months.

Like I have said before, is this the BEST player available on a loan for 6 months? In the entire world? I am afraid he will just sit on the bench or contribute next to nothing when he comes on, basically because he is a very limited player and the years will have taken its toll on his fitness. He was decent when in the Premier League, filled with adrenaline after they came up from the Championship, but now he is old and done. Doesn't make much sense to me, but I guess it's like that when you try to find excuses for not being a relegation contender.

So we are loaning an out of form, over paid, Championship striker.

We are bascially taking someone off Wigans bomb squad! This is pathetic. It will take weeks for him to get near the fitness level required for the Prem. And if he used it will so we can hoof the ball in his general direction!

I have backed Lambert since he came here but this sort of crap is really testing my patience.  

Edited by Villastine

There are many problems that I find about this signing.

Lambert clearly hasn't learnt his lesson about how our style of football has been this season, this signing is pretty much saying that Lambert is happy with the way we are playing and it is the way he will get the team to play for the rest of the season.

He doesn't play/isn't wanted by a Championship team who are struggling in mid-table.

The fact that we have to loan a player from a league below is completely embarrassing and if it happened to any club in this league people would be in that team's thread in Other Football laughing their heads off about it.

Finally, the player himself obviously hasn't looked after himself, has been regressing for the last 2 seasons and has somehow found a way back into the PL.

I really doubt we're paying Holt more than a few grand - he's hardly on huge money at Wigan

I doubt he's on any less than £20K a week, minimum.

I really doubt we're paying Holt more than a few grand - he's hardly on huge money at Wigan

I doubt he's on any less than £20K a week, minimum.

What on earth makes you think that? He joined a relegated club in the summer - I doubt they were handing out 20k p/w contracts

Â