Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/452044/Kidderminster-0-Peterborough-0-Joe-Lolley-is-a-pest-for-Posh

Kidderminster boss Steve Burr admits he’ll sell his top scorer if the lolly is right and after his latest supershow he can expect the phone to start ringing.

Ex-student Lolley, 21, has been Kiddy’s star turn since they snapped him up in the summer after he’d scored 88 goals in only 83 games for Midland Combination side Littleton. Only Posh keeper Bobby Olejnik stopped him adding another goal to his growing reputation.

Posh came into their own after the break with 17-goal Britt Assombalonga denied his fifth FA Cup strike of the season when Danny Lewis got a hand to his point-blank header.

Sign him Up! ;)

How ridiculous is that, the lad had an amazing season and its put down to him actually being just ok because the rest of the defence was so bad it made him look better than he was? :D Makes absolutely zero sense either. Other players on the pitch playing good or bad doesn't change my opinion on how a different player in the team has performed.

I think Lowton is a good player but he isn't a particularly good defender if we are being honest. Would rather see him play in midfield eventually.
I think it's only Lambert's negative tactics that are preventing Lowton from showing us the same performances as last season when most of his best work was done in the opposition half. Which he rarely sets foot in now. As instructed. So may as well stick Bacuna RB and play to Lowton's strengths going forward.

Agree. I'd like to see that tried. Lowton was brilliant offensively last season.

If Benteke was playing and/or playing well he would push the CBs back and make the FBs tuck in - leaving much more room in the channels and much more room for our FBs to overlap. Without a presence up front there is far less space and so FB can't get forward as much. Added to that without Vlaar it's not wise to be too adventourous. Bennett looked decent going forward last season for the same reason

Holtby on loan rumours doing the rounds on Twitter.

Anyone heard or know where it originated from?

actually its a spurs itk who's reliable

A bored, imaginative Twitter user.

from a spurs blog, no mention of us but talk of him leaving - 

Holtby had a word with Sherwood earlier this week to reassure his first team chances but with his current lack of games, the attacking midfielder looks to be on his way out.

While Ade rejoices, Holtby has only started 1 match under Sherwood and the future looks dark for him.

The Spurs TV star is in contention with seven other players in midfield with Sherwood’s reinstated “Score more than the other team" 4-4-2 attacking formation.

And it only gets worse, as Tottenham could recall Tom Carroll after Sherwood denied QPR to let the England U-21 play on the FA cup. Sherwood has opted to play Spurs academy Nabil Bentaleb instead, which makes Holtby's frustration understandable.

On his way out?

His age, determination, movement, and skill are important factors to hold on to him. Chasing balls down the middle, smart attacking runs and his slick distribution of the ball between the backline and the attackers is what we fans enjoy to see but others will tell you otherwise.

Would it be smart to let the U-21 German captain go before he blooms? Could he be a future Modric?

His contributions haven’t gone unnoticed despite his recent form, but is he really needed with Eriksen, Dembélé, Paulinho and Carroll on the club? His progress suggests that he has the ability to be an important player in the near future and I see no reason why we shouldn’t hold on to young promising players such as him.

The gaffer will be sleeping on whether he’s surplus to requirements or one for the future. In the meantime, he hasn’t ruled out a return to the Bundesliga.

guardian - 

Lewis Holtby has asked new Tottenham head coach Tim Sherwood for assurances over his future at the club.

German international Holtby may consider quitting White Hart Lane later this month if he does not feel he will get enough chances under Sherwood.
Holtby has only started one match for Sherwood and the 23-year-old was not even named among the substitutes for the last two games against Stoke and Manchester United.
Sherwood has preferred 19-year-old Nabil Bentaleb, who he knows from Tottenham's Under-21s, to Holtby.
Having switched back to a two-man attack, Sherwood has ensured that places in the centre of Tottenham's midfield are now hard to secure with seven players fighting for two spots.

Holtby only joined Tottenham from Schalke in January last year and quickly established himself as a popular member of the first-team squad.
He has made a total of 36 appearances for Spurs over the past year, but may well consider a return to Schalke during this transfer window.
Speaking about his future, Holtby recently said: "I would never rule out a return to the Bundesliga, especially Schalke, where I had a great time."
Having managed to sign Holtby for a cut-down £1 million fee, Tottenham could expect to make a healthy profit on the player if they do decide to cash in this month.

im proper kevin keegan "love it" if we made this happen, cant see it though, he'll go back to the bundesliga

• Like 1

How ridiculous is that, the lad had an amazing season and its put down to him actually being just ok because the rest of the defence was so bad it made him look better than he was? :D Makes absolutely zero sense either. Other players on the pitch playing good or bad doesn't change my opinion on how a different player in the team has performed.

I think Lowton is a good player but he isn't a particularly good defender if we are being honest. Would rather see him play in midfield eventually.
I think it's only Lambert's negative tactics that are preventing Lowton from showing us the same performances as last season when most of his best work was done in the opposition half. Which he rarely sets foot in now. As instructed. So may as well stick Bacuna RB and play to Lowton's strengths going forward.

Agree. I'd like to see that tried. Lowton was brilliant offensively last season.

If Benteke was playing and/or playing well he would push the CBs back and make the FBs tuck in - leaving much more room in the channels and much more room for our FBs to overlap. Without a presence up front there is far less space and so FB can't get forward as much. Added to that without Vlaar it's not wise to be too adventourous. Bennett looked decent going forward last season for the same reason

Firstly I'd dispute that as Lowton was pretty good offensively even before Benteke hit form. Also seeing as Benteke isn't playing well currently, then it would be wiser to push Lowton up where he can focus on this aspect more.

I have not been impressed by Holtby thus far.

He destroyed us in the league cup, i think hes a very good player but just hasn't worked out at spurs. Anyway i think hes out of our range, out attacking mid targets will be people like hoolahan.

Have we signed anyone yet ? Unable to freely surf net in office today due to ridiculous hot desk policy and my PC is not in a secure location today.

Have you not heard? Oh man it's so exciting!!eleven!! Wait til you get home. It's what Sky's yellow ticker was invented for.
  • Like 2

From what I've been reading on here it seems that people are saying our full backs can't defend. So, why not try them as wing back, playing Gabby up front with Benteke until we sign a no. 10 at least. Just think Lowtons delivery last season was great, set up so many chances, so why not give him a bit more freedom as a wing back.

People seem to keep putting Albrighton in their 'dream' side at the end of January, and although he is playing ok at late, he hasn't progressed like we'd hoped since a bright first 18 months. Just think a back 3 with ML and either Bennett ( better going forward) or Luna LWB with Delph, Bacuna, Westwood at a midfield 3 with gabby and Cb up top could give us something to build on.

Also think that formation gives us options in the bench and the chance to change things if needed.

Gotta be worth a try at least, can't really do much worse than we already are.

Sleaves, for me that formation only works if Vlaar and Clark are 2 of the defenders. Otherwise I think they're too exposed by having wingbacks with an attacking M.O. So mine is a conditional agreement with you :)

I like the Holtby option - if it is even an option!

Some players are terrible when they don't get a run in the team, and Holtby may be one of those. He look great in the Bundesliga for a couple of years, and you don't do that if you're shite.

I have not been impressed by Holtby thus far.

What about when he tore us apart at Villa Park earlier in the season? He's a top quality player and would be a fantastic signing.

Agree I think he's excellent, should be getting in the spurs team I think

Holtby on loan rumours doing the rounds on Twitter.

Anyone heard or know where it originated from?

actually its a spurs itk who's reliable

A bored, imaginative Twitter user.

Spurs ITKs weren't too reliable last summer.

Â