Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/paul-lambert-want-playmaker-who-6469808

Lambert admits the current Villa squad lacks a creative influence to link midfield and attack and insists he has identified potential players.

“I call them No.10s,” said Lambert. “I think people that can make things happen are important, because they take a risk and they take a chance. If you can get somebody like that in your side they can make things happen.

“There’s nobody like that in our squad right now.

“They’re a special type of player, they know how to get into little pockets on the pitch to try and make things happen and that’s something you try and look at. They’re worth their weight in gold if you can get them - and pretty dear.

“I think every window, whether you are winning and on top of your game or not getting results, you always try and freshen it up and build it.”

Norwich boss Chris Hughton denied Villa had made a bid for Hoolahan, who has 18 months left on his contract, and insists the midfielder was left out of the Canaries 1-1 FA Cup draw with Fulham on Saturday because of an unspecified injury.

Meanwhile, Defour’s representative, Paul Stefani, confirmed his player is a target for Lambert, saying: “Aston Villa have let it be known that they are interested in Defour.

“It is not yet concrete, and it is the same story for other clubs that I can’t name.

“Steven is certainly open to joining an attractive club on condition that they offer him more playing time than he has at present.

“He’s not unhappy at Porto but he needs to be playing regularly with an eye on the World Cup.”

Says Lambert prefers Hoolahan, which terrifies me, but I doubt that deal gets done with Norwich.  This Defour thing could actually happen??!?!?!?!!?

I don't see anyone saying lichaj was great but when we've signed 2 lbs who both struggle at this level I think its fair to question how well we've spent such a limited budget.

My theory on this is that with Lichaj we knew we had a player that wasn't good enough.

Bennett was highly thought of at Boro IIRC, no idea on Luna as I've never seen him play prior to Villa.  I believe Lambert gambled that both Bennett and Luna's ceiling was to be higher than the proven low ceiling with Lichaj and Stevens.  It hasn't worked thus far, but if you saw Joe Bennett play at Boro you'd probably agree it would be a punt worth taking.Much in the same vein as people talking up Forest and Derby players today.

Well I'm not sure exactly what he saw in Luna at Mallorca to suggest he had a 'higher ceiling' than Lichaj.

I don't see anyone saying lichaj was great but when we've signed 2 lbs who both struggle at this level I think its fair to question how well we've spent such a limited budget.

My theory on this is that with Lichaj we knew we had a player that wasn't good enough.

Bennett was highly thought of at Boro IIRC, no idea on Luna as I've never seen him play prior to Villa.  I believe Lambert gambled that both Bennett and Luna's ceiling was to be higher than the proven low ceiling with Lichaj and Stevens.  It hasn't worked thus far, but if you saw Joe Bennett play at Boro you'd probably agree it would be a punt worth taking.

Much in the same vein as people talking up Forest and Derby players today.

The funny thing is that technically Bennett is actually a very good player...... well ok...... that might be an overstatement but he's certainly better than most of our players, the problem is he can't defend. But towards the end of last season he certainly look like he was improving.

I think he and Luna can and will improve, it's just the fact we can't afford to take risks with defenders like this. Experience at the back is a luxury we have to afford.

Unfortunately, the ready-made experienced defenders command much bigger wages than Luna and Bennett combined.

I'm sure if Lambert could buy the finished article, instead of potential, he would do.

I think Bennett may have more potential than Luna personally, but he would require more cover from his midfield.  Both Clyne and Shaw look great for Southampton, but they never have to contend with the opposition coming at them for 70% of the game.

• Like 1

Bennett is quicker than luna and has some skills. Just needed to bulk up looked like he weighed about 6 stone.

I think if we bring 2 experinced players in and get Nzog back (sooner rather than later) and get the others i.e Benteke back on form, it wont be such a struggle to stay mid table.

I believe the interest in Defour is real.

I don't, and I've highlighted why below...

Meanwhile, Defour’s representative, Paul Stefani, confirmed his player is a target for Lambert, saying: “Aston Villa have let it be known that they are interested in Defour.

“It is not yet concrete, and it is the same story for other clubs that I can’t name.

Considering how tight lipped on all our transfers we are, the fact that he can for some reason name us but can't name other clubs, and the fact that he's a football agent who are dirty little liars most of the time, I'd say we weren't interested and couldn't afford him even if we were.

I'd happily be proven wrong though, I like him as a player.

Edited by Ginko

well Kendrick normally denies these stories. He came out and said Coutinho and Belhanda were bullshit. There may be interest?

I dont think Defour is an AM though. So maybe he wants Delph Defour and Hoolahan a little bit more advanced. He cant afford Kiyotake until maybe summer and Hoolahan will just be depth/squad rotation.

IT really doesnt take much for this side to look good.

Next season could be something like

Guzan

Lowton Okore Vlaar NEW LB

Delph Defour

Albrighton                  Gabby

Kiyotake

Benteke

Not a bad side. Defour is a key signing. Kiyotake is gettable in the summer especially if his side get relegated.

Defour will be hard to sign now though.

Edited by KSV
  • Like 1

well Kendrick normally denies these stories. He came out and said Coutinho and Belhanda were bullshit. There may be interest?

I dont think Defour is an AM though. So maybe he wants Delph Defour and Hoolahan a little bit more advanced. He cant afford Kiyotake until maybe summer and Hoolahan will just be depth/squad rotation.

IT really doesnt take much for this side to look good.

Next season could be something like

Guzan

Lowton Okore Vlaar NEW LB

Delph Defour

Albrighton                  Gabby

Kiyotake

Benteke

Not a bad side. Defour is a key signing. Kiyotake is gettable in the summer especially if his side get relegated.

Defour will be hard to sign now though.

I made the point earlier that we have a tread water squad at the moment. (Just) enough to keep us in the league whilst the high earners are still on the books.

As you've pointed out though, it takes a few key purchases to transform the starting XI, which will no doubt transform the style of play too.  Players like Tonev, Bowery, Sylla will be allowed to leave and others like Westwood, Bennett, Weimann will be bench players.

• Like 1

Tbf we've struggled at left back since Alan wright left

I wonder if there is a gypsy curse on that position ??

(And anyone that says Bouma will be horse whipped and have their eyes removed with a blunt spoon )

Can't see Norwich willingly selling Hoolahan to us and surely Defour's too expensive, because of his third party ownership. However it's nice to see Lambert targeting No.10.

However I get the impression it will come down to what Randy's willing to spend, rather than who Lambert wants. 

Edited by Supervillan78
  • Like 2

I believe the interest in Defour is real.  If he's second choice to Hoolahan though..........

Where does it say he's sec on choice to Hoolahan? I just read it and didn't see that anywhere. Do we mean it IMPLIED it?

(And anyone that says Bouma will be horse whipped and have their eyes removed with a blunt spoon )

Bou…. m….. ;)

I believe the interest in Defour is real.  If he's second choice to Hoolahan though..........

Where does it say he's sec on choice to Hoolahan? I just read it and didn't see that anywhere. Do we mean it IMPLIED it?

Bou…. m….. ;)

"Hoolahan is believed to be Lambert’s first choice having worked with him at Norwich and the 31-year-old Irish international boasts Premier League experience."

• Like 1

Defour and Hoolahan play different positions, so it could be the case that they're both Lambert's first choice in their respective positions.

I reckon, if we are interested in Defour, it'll only be a loan. It's win/win/win...

Lambert gets a decent player, Defour gets games and lastly, Defour doesn't have to join us permanently, and take part in next year's relegation battle ;)

Â