Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

I get the feeling Defour's agent is just using us to ramp up offers from other clubs. Kind of embarrassing.

Perhaps me being cynical but I wouldn't be surprised it that is a two-way thing. He uses our 'interest' to force the hands of others whilst our club then make it look like we are trying to get players of that calibre and sell our 'ambition' to the fans that way. Right out of the Doug Ellis handbook really.

It also looks better if somebody like Hoolahan is seen to be our fall-back option after supposedly missing out on our preferred target rather than if he is viewed as the first-choice.

Just a theory of course but I find it strange how it is our name that is always mentioned by agents or clubs of players that it turns out we made no move for anyway. Coutinho, Sissoko, Belhanda and now this. Hmmm...

The club was happy to bring in McLeish despite the fact the fans protested against it. We refused to spend last January when we were on a trajectory for certain relegation. Whilst faking bids to appease supporters was possibly a Doug Ellis trick, I think the current ownership really can't be arsed with that sort of thing. I honestly don't think they're trying to mislead anyone. They've made pretty clear to us that there's very little money so I don't know why they would try to make themselves look good by faking interest in supposedly big players. It's just not RL's style.

• Like 1

Talksport claiming we've made a "real big push" to bring Zaha in. They've just claimed we're in talks with City to bring in Lescott as well, with City paying majority of his wages.

Would be great if there is some substance to this so fingers crossed?

Defour, Holtby, Hoolahan, Lescott and Zaha.

What a productive window that would be, shame I cannot see us signing any of them. Would be great though - not sure about £6m for a 31 year old Lescott with 6 months on his contract though. 

• Like 1

Talksport claiming we've made a "real big push" to bring Zaha in. They've just claimed we're in talks with City to bring in Lescott as well, with City paying majority of his wages.

Would be great if there is some substance to this so fingers crossed?

I know Palace went in for Zaha on loan but Moyes doesn't want him to go back to London, the midlands is the most Southern point United want him going to apparently. 

That doesnt make sense. Lescott. I am sure we are interested. If Man City pay wages.. why are we paying such a large fee? why dont we just pay a small fee and pay his wages? talkshit have it wrong. Zaha on big wages.. most likely go back to Palace.

Holtby i can see happening. Defour unlikely. Hoolahan will happen.

That doesnt make sense. Lescott. I am sure we are interested. If Man City pay wages.. why are we paying such a large fee? why dont we just pay a small fee and pay his wages? talkshit have it wrong. Zaha on big wages.. most likely go back to Palace.

Apparently Lescott is on £90k a week and although I can't see any fee for him being that high, anybody who signs him will be asking City to cough up some of his wage demands unless he is prepared to drop his demands by about 40-50%.

No Lescott speculation is complete without the re-telling of the age old story of how Joleon got his legs broken after sleeping with the other half of a local gangster. Hence he shall never return to live or work in these parts.

Allegedly.

I have Palace supporting family so have watched Zaha a fair bit. But I have to say i'm not convinced, despite all the hype around him when at Palace i struggled to see it.

He was very much a highlights player, and was incredibly frustrating too watch in my humble. He's got that really, really annoying modern day trait where he'll go past a player and instead of putting the ball in the box he'd stop, check back and try and do it again for no logical reason. I suspect this is exactly why Moyes hasn't taken to him too.

If that can be knocked out of his game, and if he can understand its a team game he might stand a chance at progressing. If not he'll disappear without a trace pretty sharpish. That said he can also be superb in brief flashes.

I'd love Lescott, for 5m and a subsidised wage i'd snap their hands off. 

I like these rumours, along with the Defour one as it tells me the two L's have realised what a mess we're in. If there's any truth in them of course.

No Lescott speculation is complete without the re-telling of the age old story of how Joleon got his legs broken after sleeping with the other half of a local gangster. Hence he shall never return to live or work in these parts.

Allegedly.

Not much alleged about it (allegedly). But it was done and dealt with way back then from what i'm told.

• Like 1

KSV and KHV? I thought you were one poster.

I often get confused. All I know is that I disagree with almost everything one of them says and the other is not too bad.

lol am i the one you disagree with?

I don't know that's why its confusing !

United don't want him to go to Palace - they want to see how he performs in an unfamiliar environment and they want him closer than London. Hope we don't get him personally as he is too hit and miss

Lescott likely. Holtby or Hoolahan probable,  Samaras possible. Defour unlikely

if PL gets hoolahan he should ask wigan for holt on loan.

and change formation to 4-3-3 with 2 flying wing backs. instant 4/5 ppl getting in the box every attack.

positive football rather than negative get behind the ball.

Edited by davemk39

I Work in Bradford, and every other Bradford City fan at my company is telling me Villa are trying to buy Nahki Wells, I know its been mentioned before but this story really seems to be hotting up in Bradford!!!!

he once got released by Carlisle for being shite!

not saying he isn't good now or worth a punt, just saying!

Defour, Holtby, Hoolahan, Lescott and Zaha.

What a productive window that would be, shame I cannot see us signing any of them.

These kind of rumours just serve to make the transfer window more frustrating.  No matter how many times and windows this happens in, I still let myself get hopeful.  Let's be honest, it's clear we don't have a wage structure that will allow any of them bar maybe Hoolahan.  

United don't want him to go to Palace - they want to see how he performs in an unfamiliar environment and they want him closer than London. Hope we don't get him personally as he is too hit and miss

Lescott likely. Holtby or Hoolahan probable,  Samaras possible. Defour unlikely

VillaCas - I seem to remember you to some extent being ITK this time last year. Saying we were interested in Sissoko but wages were too high and we were looking at other options.

Is there any knowledge behind your post above or just your hunch?

Â