Jan Vertonghen

Toby Alderweireld

Gareth Bale (first and last)

Hugo Lloris ?

Jordi Alba ?

Virgil van Dijk ?

Kyle Walker ?

Christian Eriksen ?

Also Dani Alves and Karim Benzema, who granted played few or zero minutes but still.

Certainly the final bow for a very large group of high calibre players this time isn't it? :(

Also, Neymar will be 34 in 2026, and KDB 34/35. Lukaku will also be 33, and Son-Heung Min 33/34.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

The list of players who this will or will likely be the last WC for is sad :(

Cristiano Ronaldo (although who knows)

Lionel Messi

Robert Lewandowski

Manuel Neuer

Thomas Muller

Luka Modric

Ivan Perisic

Pepe

Thiago Silva

Sergio Busquets

Luis Suarez

Edinson Cavani

Diego Godin

Angel Di Maria

Olivier Giroud

Eden Hazard

Jan Vertonghen

Toby Alderweireld

Gareth Bale (first and last)

Hugo Lloris ?

Jordi Alba ?

Virgil van Dijk ?

Kyle Walker ?

Christian Eriksen ?

Also Dani Alves and Karim Benzema, who granted played few or zero minutes but still.

Certainly the final bow for a very large group of high calibre players this time isn't it? :(

Also, Neymar will be 34 in 2026, and KDB 34/35. Lukaku will also be 33, and Son-Heung Min 33/34.

If his form keeps up Jack Grealish too 😛

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Can't help but feel the final is being over-applauded.  The ending was fantastic, but the first 80 minutes were really, really poor.

That’s football though. A game is rarely great from start to finish.  The drama and the hour of absolute chaos was absolutely worth the wait. 

Edited by Spoony
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Describe the Qatar WC in one picture:

640@60.jpg

It's the clown from Instagram famous for putting salt on steaks who have somehow made it onto the pitch and is allowed to get a photo op holding the trophy (against FIFA rules of course)

It's amazing what money can buy you.  

Probably pulled a few strings as all the celebrities including plenty of footballers eat at his overpriced restaurants.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Spoony said:

That’s football though. A game is rarely great from start to finish.  The drama and the hour of absolute chaos was absolutely worth the wait. 

"Greatest final ever" though, rather than "fantastic ending to the game"?

14 minutes ago, sne said:

640@60.jpg

It's the clown from Instagram famous for putting salt on steaks who have somehow made it onto the pitch and is allowed to get a photo op holding the trophy (against FIFA rules of course)

It really does sum up the pomposity and hypocrisy of it all. Ruins the spectacle of the occasion and is a massive security risk. Embarrassing. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sne said:

640@60.jpg

I needed no additional context after those glasses to know he was a word removed, but it's good to be right

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Drama happens at the end of the game. That's when the score matters. At the end. The bit before is just context for the end. The game had been looking like Argentina coasting to a professional 2-0 win, but then...

And it's that 'but then' that created the drama and people saying it was the best final ever. It's definitely the most recent final ever, and that recency bias is certainly there, but i would disagree that just because the drama happened at the end it couldn't be a great final. 

It also had mbappe and messi facing off. One generation vs the next. Messi finally winning his world cup. That context also made it great. 

I'm not sure what more you could want. If you think a final needs to be about exchanging scores all the way through and free flowing end to end football with loads of chances, i would recommend the Gaelic football.

2 hours ago, sne said:

640@60.jpg

Just come on here to mention this. 

Got to be honest, I've never heard of the word removed. 

LOVE this photo by Laurence Griffiths of Getty, with Matty in there, trying to stop a tsunami: "There are fantastic players in this tournament, then there are the mega stars of world football that steal all the attention! Mbappe of France certainly fits that criteria. He was also the star performer on the night, scoring two sensational goals, so I was looking for a picture to illustrate his skill and pace. I achieved this shot by using an incredibly slow shutter speed while panning my camera exactly in tune with his movement - not an easy technique to achieve such a sharp and clearly recognisable face."

spacer.png

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

Think there’s a bit more to it than that, though.

There were some fantastic passages of play in the first half, especially Argentina’s second goal, and then there were the big gambles Deschamps made. All of the goals in open play were superb passing moves, pick of the bunch being Mbappe’s.

There was definitely a period of 40ish mins when Argentina were 2-0 up where the game felt very flat, but all in all I thought it had a bit of everything, and the back and forth momentum swings made it an incredible game, plus some massive moments (eg Martinez save at the end) made it a genuine classic.

Best ever? Dunno. It’s a shame France clearly had big issues with illness in the squad, but in terms of drama it was a classic.

Edited by KentVillan

Â