World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Must say I loved the no alcohol. Not seeing brits make tits of themselves is refreshing. 

I dunno

My cousin did end up going with some guys from kiddy so he's done every tournament since the 80s as well as most of the qualifiers

said there wasn't a fat lot to do there, had an apartment with a pool and just sat round the pool all day rather than in a pub all day, no travel days, no real touristy stuff, it was perfectly fine but long uneventful days when England weren't playing

41 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I dunno

My cousin did end up going with some guys from kiddy so he's done every tournament since the 80s as well as most of the qualifiers

said there wasn't a fat lot to do there, had an apartment with a pool and just sat round the pool all day rather than in a pub all day, no travel days, no real touristy stuff, it was perfectly fine but long uneventful days when England weren't playing

There was loads to do. In addition to the plethora of bars and restaurants l, there was lots of adventure sports available, such as quad biking, dune buggys etc....

We stayed near a camel riding area which had amazing, huge dunes. 

There were also loads of beach clubs which had music, alcohol, volleyball ball courts, football nets...

There really was a lot going on. If you looked for it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I really wish Messi had chucked that robe off immediately.

It's not even a Qatar thing. If something like that happened in any host country it would be ridiculous

Would have caused too much controversy why bother just do as they want then take it off

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Would have caused too much controversy why bother just do as they want then take it off

Because now what could be the most iconic moments in football history, the greatest player of all time lifting the world cup that has always alluded him, has him wearing a big black robe rather than his kit

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Because now what could be the most iconic moments in football history, the greatest player of all time lifting the world cup that has always alluded him, has him wearing a big black robe rather than his kit

I think its not really not important to be honest.

If he took the robe off throws it off or just removes it straight away. It would be all over social media some saying he wss right over would say he is disrespectful. Why put yourself in that? Just wear and remove shortly after.

I found it more offensive seeing salt bae on the pitch with the trophy.

• Like 1

On 20/12/2022 at 07:11, sne said:

Messi and 4 of teammates almost decapitated by a low hanging cable while riding around on the bus celebrating in Buenos Aires.

That might have put damper (dampener?) on things 😀

Was that not a power cable????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They are his employers so I am sure he has probably agreed to it beforehand

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Without wanting to derail the World Cup thread, can UEFA not breakaway from FIFA? Feels to me like a lot of the top clubs are getting pretty sick of FIFA, it would only take the Prem being onboard to get it going given all the money is here.

That is why the mess is currently the way it is. The rest of the world got sick of the arrogant European countries dominating FIFA and have elected leaders like Blatter and Infantino who knew what the issues is 

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's not even a Qatar thing. If something like that happened in any host country it would be ridiculous

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They are his employers so I am sure he has probably agreed to it beforehand

I mean, even if it wasn't agreed, it's just a correct reflection of his priorities. This is a man who has taken tons of money to support Saudi Arabia's World Cup bid over that of his own country, seems quite appropriate to be covering his national shirt to be honest. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He’s an ambassador for Saudi Arabia isnt he? Perhaps afraid to upset the paymasters, although I have no idea if there is any direct connection with the robe and Saudi Arabia.

55 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

At the time I thought it was weird, unnecessary and out of place.

Then I read a bit about the bisht, and it being a huge honour in their culture, especially bestowed by the Emir, and it's kind of a nice gesture, but was still a bit out of place at that moment - possibly would have raised less eyebrows if they'd given it him for his player of the tournament solo award rather than to raise the WC trophy.

Then I read all of the racist pieces of shit spewing hate about it, and suddenly I didn't care so much. 

20 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He’s an ambassador for Saudi Arabia isnt he? Perhaps afraid to upset the paymasters, although I have no idea if there is any direct connection with the robe and Saudi Arabia.

He is also a PSG player who are pretty much owned by Qatar. 

Â