World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

13 hours ago, KentVillan said:

It worked particularly well against Argentina because their defence is quite small.

Just Googling their heights - Lisandro Martinez 5'9, Otamendi 6'0, Romero 6'1. Not sure who exactly was on the pitch when van Gaal rolled the dice, but Tagliafico 5'8, Montiel 5'9, Holding midfielder Enzo Fernandez 5'10.

It was the smart move in this game. In the Premier League I don't think you get that match up so often, but I agree it's a good option to have.

I am not in favour of big teams or small teams in stature.....but I think you need a mix, which gives you balance.

It just nags at me at times to see wingers pumping the ball in, and having no chance of getting a header on target or disrupting centre backs.....its like going through the motions, with little objective.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

England players have all knocked the gold Nike boots on the head and gone pink

The way they go down on the field when someone brushes past them,they should wear a pink strip and advertise Barbie dolls.

• Confused 1

On 10/12/2022 at 13:41, mjmooney said:

I was alive for 1954 (just!), 1958 and 1962, but I have no recollection of them. The first one I remember clearly was 1966. 

Was 66 the first one that was televised around the world. 58 and 62 I think people were just listening on the radio. 

On 10/12/2022 at 13:41, mjmooney said:

I was alive for 1954 (just!), 1958 and 1962, but I have no recollection of them. The first one I remember clearly was 1966. 

This feels simiilar to me starting to support Villa in 94/96 and thinking how great it was to win trophies.

Then nothing. For decades :) 

On 11/12/2022 at 15:45, PaulC said:

Was 66 the first one that was televised around the world. 58 and 62 I think people were just listening on the radio. 

1958, the year of the TV in Sweden :) Everyone wanted one, or made sure to be near one

6 hours ago, robby b said:

Has any Villa player ever won the World Cup?

(I mean while their domestic team was Villa).

I can't think of one offhand. If not then maybe Emi's about to become the first.

I don’t think so. It’s only in the modern era we have had foreign international players in our squads and we’ve definitely not had any in the last few world cups. 

Edited by LondonLax
  • Thanks 1

Â