World Cup 2022: Qatar

maqroll

6 hours ago, bobzy said:

"Greatest final ever" though, rather than "fantastic ending to the game"?

I think its already been labelled as "The Greatest Final Ever" by the media so will always will be remembered as that now. "The Messi World Cup" "The Greatest Final ever" ... Oh well least we was all here to witness history! 

22 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's been an absolutely outstanding World Cup 🤷🏾‍♂️. Sorry.

It has. It's been a wonderful World Cup.

And it's been that way because of football, because of the things that have happened on the pitch. You can take the game to places that some of us wouldn't like, you can put it in the hands of people we wouldn't trust, you can sell it and sell it and sell it, you can schedule badly, you can award tournaments in ways that are almost criminal, but you cannot stop football, you can't prevent this game pushing all of that to one side and dazzling.

It's wonderful, this game of ours, of England's, of Europe's, South America's, Arabia's, Qatar's; the world's game. It transcends everything we throw at it and comes out the other side with the ability to thrill, to move, to capture hearts and spirits - football, this game and all it has to teach us, is wonderful and it is football that has made this a wonderful world cup.

Bring on boxing day.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, bobzy said:

"Greatest final ever" though, rather than "fantastic ending to the game"?

What final was better than the one we’ve just seen?

It wasn’t the highest quality game ever but it was incredibly entertaining. 

World Cup finals are famously very cagey affairs. Low scoring, boring. 

Last night we got a top performance from Argentina, a comeback out of nowhere from 2 goals down by France, 2 goals in injury time, a hattrick from the best player in the world currently, a brace from the greatest player of all time, and a penalty shootout.

I honestly don’t think a World Cup final in living memory has come close to that game last night in terms of entertainment

• Like 3

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Salt Bae on the pitch holding the world cup trying to get a photo with messi about sums this world cup up

the video he did with I think Lisandro was disturbing, he was trying to get into his photo as if he was somebody important and Martinez didnt want him there. Messi blanked him too

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

the video he did with I think Lisandro was disturbing, he was trying to get into his photo as if he was somebody important and Martinez didnt want him there. Messi blanked him too

Apparently he's broken some rules and sparked an investigation because he touched the trophy

They should start the investigation with how the **** "celebrities" can get on the pitch in the first place

• Like 2

Messi and 4 of teammates almost decapitated by a low hanging cable while riding around on the bus celebrating in Buenos Aires.

That might have put damper (dampener?) on things 😀

Edited by sne

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Messi and 4 of teammates almost decapitated by a low hanging cable while riding around on the bus celebrating in Buenos Aires.

That might have put damper (dampener?) on things 😀

https://twitter.com/ESPNArgentina/status/1605083248832307200

Is this the open top tour bus from Mike Bassett England Manager

Edited by Zatman
  • Haha 2

One of the things I noticed in the world cup was that most of the goals scored were well worked, technical goals, and there wasn't that many 'screamers'.

The Saudi's second goal against Argentina is the only one I remember really getting me off my feet thinking what a hit

15 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

What final was better than the one we’ve just seen?

It wasn’t the highest quality game ever but it was incredibly entertaining. 

World Cup finals are famously very cagey affairs. Low scoring, boring. 

Last night we got a top performance from Argentina, a comeback out of nowhere from 2 goals down by France, 2 goals in injury time, a hattrick from the best player in the world currently, a brace from the greatest player of all time, and a penalty shootout.

I honestly don’t think a World Cup final in living memory has come close to that game last night in terms of entertainment

That's fair - there's few finals.  It just didn't feel like a great game; more entertaining than anything.  Argentina were good for the first 20 minutes (not sure about top performance, France just didn't turn up for 80 minutes) and then the game had 3 penalties; two of which shouldn't have been given IMO.  Maybe the "closeness" is unique.

FWIW, I thought the 2006 final was more entertaining - plus it had the iconic Zidane headbutt - but I can't really remember specific details because it was 16 years ago :D.  I definitely remember it being a more open game than it "should have" been with both sides being attacking.

• Like 1

Politics and humanitarian questions aside and speaking just about football.

This was an incredible world cup with a very worthy ending. 

From Japan, Morocco, Germany/Spain/Portugal going early, to Saudis beating Argentina, to penalty drama, to Mbappe Hat Trick, to Messi completing the game of football, it was incredible, best tournament in memory. 

Â