The Captaincy

maqroll

Over-analysing I feel. People confusing the role of captain with the role of an organiser. The captain is someone who swaps pendants at the start of the game, decides the toss of the coin, is first point of contact for a referee in a dispute and is someone the rest tend to look up to as a senior player and who can lead by example. This implication that he is solely tasked with organising the side mid-play is not the case and it is something more than one player is tasked with. Whether Vlaar was captain or not, he'd be arranging the defence and barking orders at the midfield. Similarly, Guzan is still gobby now with or without the armband. Captaincy is more an honour than anything else.

• 7 years later...

When Dean Smith first joined he often spoke about players sharing the captaincy to help grow their leadership qualities, which is something he did at Brentford I believe. Then since he came here it's pretty much always been Jack.

Could see our captain being rotated a lot this season. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

Jack should never have been captain, he was never captain material. And I thought that even when I liked him. It was just one of the bribes to make him stay. Mings seemed like the obvious choice, but his recent confessions of confidence problems make me think that he may not want the job. Big Emi is the man. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Jack should never have been captain, he was never captain material. And I thought that even when I liked him. It was just one of the bribes to make him stay. Mings seemed like the obvious choice, but his recent confessions of confidence problems make me think that he may not want the job. Big Emi is the man. 

Agree, although I think Mings has been through the wars with us, and maybe earnt the armband more than anyone else in the squad bar McGinn?

I’d maybe go Mings captain, Emi and McGinn both vice captains… maybe a role for Young there as well, given the history.

58 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

In my opinion, as good as Martinez is, the captain should always be a centre back 

I would add a DM to that. Definitely not a GK as the captain needs to be able to talk to players during the game and tell them nicely to get the finger out and what to do

24 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Agree with this. For me if Mings wants the job he has more than earned it and is an exemplary choice. A model footballer and human being.

However if he doesn’t want that extra pressure, then I understand. It is completely his choice.

• Like 3

The whole declaring a captain is probably more so for than fans than anything. The players know who is in charge on the pitch irrespective of who is wearing an elastic band with a C on it. 

This team gets along well and has some born leaders like Mings and Martinez. We are in a good place on that front. 

Â