The Captaincy

maqroll

6 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Mings is the only leader but the rest of the team need shouting at so much it distracts him from his own job. We need 2/3 more leaders on the pitch.

Well if he leads by example, then no wonder we keep giving cheap goals away and capitulating in games.

Just in case you think i hate him, i don't, I like how he comes across as a person, and i like a lot of what he has done at Villa, but he's not mentally strong enough or reliable enough on the pitch for the captain's role, and as a player he's always got a mistake in him which makes him a liability.

We'll never progress as a team until we get rid of players that can't consistently perform, It's this lack of consistency which has put us where we as a team are in the last couple of seasons.

2 hours ago, smokingzen said:

...I like how he comes acorss as a person, and i like a lot of what he has done at Villa, but he's not mentally strong enough or reliable enough on the pitch for the captain's role, and as a player he's always got a mistake in him which makes him a liability.

We'll never progress as a team until we get rid of players that can't consistently perform, It's this lack of consistency which has put us where we as a team are in the last couple of seasons.

Other than a long term injured Diego Carlos who would be your choice for Captain?

1 minute ago, villaslash said:

Other than a long term injured Diego Carlos who would be your choice for Captain?

TBH i look at the squad and i don't see a natural leader who also has consistency and should be playing week in week out.

Generally i prefer the captain to be a midfielder who can lead in the thick of the action, I think Young has the right mentality but given his age shouldn't be a regular starter, hence why he's club captain.

So out of current choices, i'd probably have Martinez, though even he's been a bit 'wobbly' on occasions.

2 hours ago, smokingzen said:

All players make mistakes. Van Dijk has made a few just today.

Mings' positives outweigh his negatives for us right now. He's far from the top of our list of priorities. We get worse if you take him out the side.

For some reason he's always highlighted as a huge issue by some.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, smokingzen said:

TBH i look at the squad and i don't see a natural leader who also has consistency and should be playing week in week out.

Generally i prefer the captain to be a midfielder who can lead in the thick of the action, I think Young has the right mentality but given his age shouldn't be a regular starter, hence why he's club captain.

So out of current choices, i'd probably have Martinez, though even he's been a bit 'wobbly' on occasions.

I also like a captain in midfield as they can rally the team all over the pitch. I think Barry was a great example. I don’t think we have a midfielder who can do that right now. Whether you like McGinn as a player or not he doesn’t seem to have the over all understanding of the game or leadership to do it. It might have happened but I’ve never seen him give a quick word for the team to get back in formation (probably as he’d be talking to himself “John, you are out of position. Get back they are ripping through your side”)

I think Goalie as captain is hard. You are contained to the box most of the game, when a tussle is happening or you need to talk to a ref the goalie is not coming out of the box into the other half. Sure, you can talk to the team at defensive set pieces but that’s the goalie’s job anyway. As much as I like Martinez smack talk and PK tom foolery he is as likely to get a card when talking to ref as calming things down.

so the current best choice might be…😉

1 hour ago, smokingzen said:

Oh ye of short memory... what about the Forest game before that for starters, gave away a needless freekick, then loses his man for the freekick, that's us of to another sh*t start and 1-0 down, given we drew 1-1, that's 2 points lost.

Then yes the very next game, the Chelsea game... stupid header whilst under no pressure what so ever... and 1-0 down... again.

There's a pattern here, and it's been like this for most of the time he's been at Villa, he got away with it more in the Championship as he wasn't as punished as much, but the premier league is a different beast. Even then, i can remember a whole host of games where he's amde stupid mistakes where we've been lucky not to be punished for them.

So, two? Tbh I missed the Forest game, but I'm just going to assume that you regard giving a free kick away as a mistake only if your name is Tyrone Mings. 

I can't remember the game but a few games ago Konsa passed the ball straight to the opposition striker and Mings came straight over and won the ball and nothing came of it, no-one even mentioned it post match solely because it didn't lead to anything. 

The biggest issue isn't that Tyrone Mings makes mistakes, he does, virtually all defenders do. The biggest issue is everyone else on the team has Tyrone Mings to cover for them so those mistakes don't often lead to anything, Mings has no-one so every single error, however minor, leads to a shot on goal. Put Van Dijk alongside Konsa/Chambers/Bednarek and I guarantee you'd be noticing his mistakes a lot more as well.

• Like 3

Â