The Captaincy

maqroll

Personality wise I think Guzan is the best candidate, but keepers are just not right for the captain's role out on the pitch. I wouldn't want to put that pressure on Delph as he still needs to develop his game a lot, Westwood would be a maybe, but I think Vlaar is still probably the best option this season.

You don't go changing it now. Remember Bent and the capataincy anyone?

Next season, depending on how this one goes, we should take a look and see who is capable of stepping up. IMO, Westwood has all the credentials.

Best captains are in thick of the action and in the best position to organise the team. Ideally, one of the centre backs, failing that defensive midfield. Goal keepers are too isolated and can't be heard, and strikers generally act selfishly as nature of their position, and aren't involved organizing the defence.

I like the idea of Delph as captain. He has got many attributes for the role: energy, inspirational tackles and surges, a natural passion with which fans identify. At the moment though he is still too new to the team and gaining form. We don't want captaincy to affect his consistency. After Christmas at the earliest even if we don't have Vlaar in the first XI.

Captain order now: Vlaar. Clark. Agbonlahor. Guzan. Delph. Westwood. Lowton

Alternative order: Vlaar. Clark. Delph. Agbonlahor. Guzan. Westwood. Lowton

Edit: Depending on how good Okore's English is, I'd consider him too.

Edited by Con

Personality wise I think Guzan is the best candidate, but keepers are just not right for the captain's role out on the pitch.

Shit, someone should probably tell that to this guy:

Iker+Casillas+Netherlands+v+Spain+2010+F

I recognise that argument that an outfield player should be captain as they're 'closer to the action', but a goalkeeper can still have huge influence from his position.  Also, you can have other outfield players that are influential in a similar way to a captain, even if they don't have the armband, which is more symbolic and means more than simply being able to communicate on the pitch.  You want someone who's not just vocal, but also representative of the club and sets an example in terms of mentality, through a combination of their own attitude and experience, as well as ability.

Both captains at the last Euros were goalkeepers, and there are plenty of other examples - Yashin, Zoff, Shilton, Schmeichel, Kahn, etc. - of famous and successful goalkeeping captains.

Goalkeeper captain is useful when you have a lot of potential chiefs in the outfield and don't want to give any one of them the captaincy because their elevation would piss off the others.

Who was the England captain when Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham were playing in the same team?

We don't have this problem at the moment so making goalie the captain would put us at a disadvantage. We need a strong leader literally in the middle of the park.

Edited by Con

Goalkeeper has a better view of whats going on than most and if you're as vocal as guzan i wouldn't have too much problems with him being captain.

Manager has an even better view and most of the time is closer to the action than the goalie. Guzan is a leader and can do it but I like a captain who can organise defensively but also drive the team forward from defence to attack. A goal keeper is limited in his ability to do that.

I've no problem with Vlaar as captain. It's a role of little significance anyway. Once the side is full of leaders that's the main thing. As one of the few older players in the side I think he's probably the right choice. You could argue for Guzan but considering Vlaar already has the role, it would be a counter-productive snub (and bad management) to take it off him for no good reason.

I think Vlaar should be captain for the meantime. If there's to be a change I'd have both Gabby and Guzan in that role.

Guzan is vocal and driven, however you can't expect him to come running out of the box to deal with the ref in a kerfuffle.

Gabby is maturing and showing that he can be very vocal and driven, he's really gunning for it these days. We go down a goal and he's got the fires of hell inside him.

I'm not sure Rob Vlaar is our best choice for captain. He doesn't act like a captain, in fact he hardly seems to open his mouth at all. He doesn't lead by example on the pitch, either. IMO, Guzan, Weimann or Delph are better suited to wear the armband.

I agree. A player that doesn't even exist shouldn't be our captain.

I can only assume he meant Rob Vlaar of the Niagara Christian Hockey League

http://hometeamsonline.com/teams/default.asp?u=CNCHL_HOCKEY&t=c&s=hockey&p=profile&playerID=63385

Hugo+Lloris+France+v+England+Group+UEFA+

Nothing wrong with a Keeper being captain...

Nothing wrong but not first preference either. Too far from the action on the pitch - no better than a manager barking orders from his technical area.  

Goalies are better as a vice-captain. You retain their influence off the pitch, but on the pitch you have a leader on the front lines of the action.

Hugo+Lloris+France+v+England+Group+UEFA+

Nothing wrong with a Keeper being captain...

Nothing wrong but not first preference either. Too far from the action on the pitch - no better than a manager barking orders from his technical area.  

Goalies are better as a vice-captain. You retain their influence off the pitch, but on the pitch you have a leader on the front lines of the action.

Con is now the best poster on VT :)

Â