The Captaincy

maqroll

35 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

If he picks Matty Cash and decides to play him as a no10, is that further evidence we did a switcheroo with Grealish? 

Sick in the citeh fans mouths when they realise they've been masturbating over the wrong calves.

34 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Emi Martinez.

Guy is a winner. Leader. Has just won Copa America.

Nuff said.

And also our defence was a big mess. Then Emi Martinez arrived. Settled and calmed everyone down.

Actually, it wasn't that big mess before he arrived. He's improved it, no doubt, by both his saves and his presence, but after the restart from the Covid break in 2020 our defence was a lot better. It was actually pretty solid and the biggest reason we could stay in the league.

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Mings for me.  With no crowds you could always hear how vocal he was during games. A real leader.

He’s vocal, i give him that much. I’d just much prefer Ty to cut the silly mistakes and lapses in concentration out of his own game rather than barking at others, for effect. Leaders do. Some of the most quietest leaders just play the game, total focus. If your ranting and raving but your own game is scratchy, then it’s just gimmicky.

Edited by Johnnyp

I think it can only be Mings this season?

However I would say the two senior players in the 'leadership' group who are looking over their shoulders come next year are Mings and McGinn. Both need solid seasons. Personally I think the 1st Team improves with better performances from these two positions which might be from improved form from Mings or McGinn, or newer, more capable and progressive players.

8 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

He’s vocal, i give him that much. I’d just much prefer Ty to cut the silly mistakes and lapses in concentration out of his own game rather than barking at others, for effect. Leaders do. Some of the most quietest leaders just play the game, total focus. If your ranting and raving but your own game is scratchy, then it’s just gimmicky.

I don't see Ming's vocality as 'ranting and raving' and I don't suppose if Ty kept quiet during matches it would cut out his very occasional mistakes.

I'll be surprised if Ming's isn't named captain, but trust Dean's reasons either way.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Pelle said:

Actually, it wasn't that big mess before he arrived. He's improved it, no doubt, by both his saves and his presence, but after the restart from the Covid break in 2020 our defence was a lot better. It was actually pretty solid and the biggest reason we could stay in the league.

Who would you rather see leave?

Who would be more difficult to replace?

And what better way to acknowledge him and reward him is to give him the captaincy? No brainer for me.

Edited by villalad21

Sometimes choosing a captain isn’t about how vocal they are, it’s more about leadership and how the squad sees that person.

The decision is going to be more about what happens behind closed doors, on and off the training ground and how the rest of the squad sees that individual.

• Like 1

Am I the only one that thinks Mings wouldn't be the optimal choice for the job? Of course he is commanding - any elite CB has to be. But is that enough to be the captain? 

At the minute, for me it's Martinez that's the new Mr Aston Villa. Somehow he strikes me as someone who will be sitting there with Bailey and Ings and arranging for family meet ups to show them around Birmingham.

Isn't that what a captain should do? 

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

Am I the only one that thinks Mings wouldn't be the optimal choice for the job? Of course he is commanding - any elite CB has to be. But is that enough to be the captain? 

At the minute, for me it's Martinez that's the new Mr Aston Villa. Somehow he strikes me as someone who will be sitting there with Bailey and Ings and arranging for family meet ups to show them around Birmingham.

Isn't that what a captain should do? 

Aren't there usually two captains in a club structure e.g. one on the field and then a team captain who sorts stuff off the pitch for other players and also helps out with PFA. Yeah likes of Martinez or more likely Young would be ideal for that.

Deano

“I have decided but I haven’t named it yet, I won’t be doing that until tomorrow. It’s not something I’ve wasted a lot of grey matter over, to be honest.

“I think we’ve got some extremely strong candidates within the dressing room, that’s what I like about the squad now.

“Tyrone Mings was vice-captain last year, John McGinn also vice-captain last year, Emi Martínez with the experience he’s shown, Ashley Young has come into the club, Ezri Konsa.

“So we’ve got a really, really strong leadership group within the team. I’ll name the captain with the players tonight and we’ll move forward.”

16 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

The last thing we need is a new Mr Aston Villa.

56 minutes ago, brommy said:

I don't see Ming's vocality as 'ranting and raving' and I don't suppose if Ty kept quiet during matches it would cut out his very occasional mistakes.

I'll be surprised if Ming's isn't named captain, but trust Dean's reasons either way.

That is true too. I’d just like to see him look after his own game first, the rest can follow.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

The last thing we need is a new Mr Aston Villa.

Said it to a few mates, i think it held Liverpool back for a few years with Gerrard. He was getting bigger than the club but other areas of the squad were poor. We were becoming the same with Grealish. Nice depth to how we are now.

Edited by Johnnyp

Â