Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Just now, Genie said:

I can play Fifa or COD and have my actions repeated on someone else’s TV on the other side of the world in a fraction of a second, but football streams still lag by 2 or 3 minutes. I am also surprised this delay still exists.

There's less data involved, with gaming it's tiny amounts, just a few bytes per second, like key presses and mouse/joystick movements, then the computer/console at their end works out what it looks like on screen, and how it behaves. With TV you're sending the whole video, which is megabytes per second, i.e. one million times as much data. Therefore, laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I can play Fifa or COD and have my actions repeated on someone else’s TV on the other side of the world in a fraction of a second, but football streams still lag by 2 or 3 minutes. I am also surprised this delay still exists.

I was watching the Bournemouth game and my mates were laughing at West Ham on WhatsApp , so i fired up the Sky Sports app to see what their score was , only to see that Villa were 2-1 up , when on my feed it was 1-1 and Bournemouth were attacking 

Rookie error by me , but at least I was able to bundle in on the West Ham abuse on WhatsApp so a small win 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Anthony said:

There's less data involved, with gaming it's tiny amounts, just a few bytes per second, like key presses and mouse/joystick movements, then the computer/console at their end works out what it looks like on screen, and how it behaves. With TV you're sending the whole video, which is megabytes per second, i.e. one million times as much data. Therefore, laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag!

But then video calling, also full video and also instant. 

I’d expect some lag, but several minutes seems a lot for this day and age. It doesn’t seem to have shorted over the years of internet connections getting faster either.

• Like 1

My issue is specifically with streaming.  TV broadcasts are absolutely fine.  If you are watching the TV feed the delay is minimal.

However, every single live streaming service (Prime, IPlayer, TNT app, ITV X) are a good two or three minutes behind.  This means a goal or something could be spoiled by TV, radio, friends on Whatsapp or a live score app notification.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, limpid said:

No-one must question if something is an Apple thing in case it's perceived as "bashing".

Don't mess with the cult. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

My issue is specifically with streaming.  TV broadcasts are absolutely fine.  If you are watching the TV feed the delay is minimal.

However, every single live streaming service (Prime, IPlayer, TNT app, ITV X) are a good two or three minutes behind.  This means a goal or something could be spoiled by TV, radio, friends on Whatsapp or a live score app notification.

We all know this is the case, so put everything away if you don't want spoilers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

We all know this is the case, so put everything away if you don't want spoilers.

I do but it's a thing that pisses me off (that should or shouldn't) and I'm just trying to ascertain why it is a thing?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I do but it's a thing that pisses me off (that should or shouldn't) and I'm just trying to ascertain why it is a thing?

Because the stream has to be encoded and decoded. 

Edited by Mr_Dogg
  • Thanks 1

I don't tend to mind for Villa matches as when they're not broadcast in the UK we all tend to be in the same boat so match threads don't suffer too much (except for @rjw63 listening on the **** radio like it's 1996 and coming in with all the spoilers :D )

Pisses me off more in world cups/euros when half the country is watching the match and you hear the cheers before you see the goal

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I don't tend to mind for Villa matches as when they're not broadcast in the UK we all tend to be in the same boat so match threads don't suffer too much (except for @rjw63 listening on the **** radio like it's 1996 and coming in with all the spoilers :D )

Pisses me off more in world cups/euros when half the country is watching the match and you hear the cheers before you see the goal

@rjw63 and @JAMAICAN-VILLAN enjoying the Villa goals 2 minutes before everyone else :D 

• Haha 2

My reward for resolving a bunch of problems on the previously biggest shitshow of a project has been getting bumped off that onto our new, biggest, bigger shitshow of a project, an absolutely business-critical project that will cause public embarrassment in the national media if we **** it up.

Today's highlight from a call with the most senior developer on the call.

Me: "Which database table are you updating, do you know?"
Them: "Yes, I know"
Me: "...Ok, which one is it?"
Them: "......."
Me: "......."
Them: ".....I'm not sure"

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=1524c6330ae49f7

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

My reward for resolving a bunch of problems on the previously biggest shitshow of a project has been getting bumped off that onto our new, biggest, bigger shitshow of a project, an absolutely business-critical project that will cause public embarrassment in the national media if we **** it up.

Today's highlight from a call with the most senior developer on the call.

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=1524c6330ae49f7

Dido Harding may be able to give you some media training

Pub sports and the damage of the second beer.

Went to Sixes recently in The Mailbox, fantastic evening out, first beer I was like Joe Root, Brian Lara, KP. I couldn't miss, I was scoring runs for fun. One of the staff came over and said 'Sorry mate, no professionals', I said 'I'm not buddy' and he said 'well you should be'. 

Second beer in, good god I couldn't hit the **** ball. SECOND beer. What the **** is that about?

Also see Darts and Pool for similar pub sports that are ruined by a second beer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Been on a strip in Corfu watching England..... one bar erupts, 30 seconds later we all find out why. Soon shot over to other bar as well as everyone else. 

Thinking about it.....bar owner should have borrowed @rjw63 radio

• Haha 1

IDKWTCH's workplace is the most batshit crazy place I've ever heard of.

Every day she comes back telling me about people who have been crying or gone off with stress or been moved because they can't do their job etc etc. I've never heard of a workplace with so many people struggling.
They're absolutely insane there. And their solution to everything is to move people around. So if someone is struggling on a project they'll just swap them with someone who is doing well on another project.

IDKWTCH is one of the better ones so she's constantly getting moved around to fix projects that have gone to shit, and just as she gets them to a good place, she gets moved to someone else's project because they've had to go home in tears.

She did a handover for one of her projects the other day and the two people she handed over to were really complimentary about how comprehensive it was and helpful she was.

Now if I was their boss, I'd take that feedback and say something like "Make her handover the template for future handovers. Train the team on what you did and then everyone apply that in future"

But no, her boss' solution was that she does everyone's handover in future. Even for projects she's not involved with.

They're **** mental

• Like 1

Â