Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It was always a similar thing with cars wasn’t it? Skoda always out performed Mercedes on the old JD Power surveys.

But it was often the case that a Merc with a squeak went straight back to the garage, whereas a Skoda driver would just turn the radio up, cos its a Skoda. 

tbh I'm not familiar with JD power surveys , but I thought the original Skoda were terrible  and the source of jokes ..how do you double the value of your Skoda , put petrol in it  etc

the Octavia then started to win a few awards and the quality was undoubtable better , but its surprising to learn  it was outperforming a marque brand  

5 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

tbh I'm not familiar with JD power surveys , but I thought the original Skoda were terrible  and the source of jokes ..how do you double the value of your Skoda , put petrol in it  etc

the Octavia then started to win a few awards and the quality was undoubtable better , but its surprising to learn  it was outperforming a marque brand  

It’s a bit of a quirk of the reliability data. More basic cars using older, tried and tested technology combined with lower expectations from their customers did well in the surveys.

Then brands bringing higher, new levels of hi-tech equipment for a premium price tag suffered.

In 2019 Peugeot was top

2019065a.jpg?itok=Hm_KE8Rq

Fiat must be absolute dog shit.

Edited by Genie
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

The jokes came from the pre-VW days though.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s a bit of a quirk of the reliability data. More basic cars using older, tried and tested technology combined with lower expectations from their customers did well in the surveys.

Then brands bringing higher, new levels of hi-tech equipment for a premium price tag suffered.

In 2019 Peugeot was top

2019065a.jpg?itok=Hm_KE8Rq

Fiat must be absolute dog shit.

I'm calling BS on Peugeot. Myself, and everyone I've ever known who had one have all had constant and ongoing unfixable electrical problems. I had to replace at least one electrical component (bulb, sensor etc) every other week. Also, the one I had needed a new clutch and flywheel at 35,000 miles (and no I don't rag cars- it was a motorway cruiser), problems with ignition (electrics again) and on and on. My wife called it the lemon. Best thing I ever did with it was accidentally wrap it round a tree. 

That said it was by some distance the best car to drive I have ever had. 

Now my Volvo, only thing I ever had to change in nearly 100,000 miles of driving were brake pads/discs and maybe one bulb. Absolutely bulletproof.

Edited by HKP90

I used to work with a girl who's boyfriends job was to buy fruit and veg for supermarkets.

She said the only difference between cheaper supermarkets are more expensive ones was the more expensive ones charter aircraft to deliver their produce, whereas cheaper markets produce came by boat.

Meaning, the more expensive stuff should last 3-4 days longer than the cheaper stuff.

I know anecdotally we'll all have instances where that isn't true, but then that would be an issue with that markets management not selling that produce quick enough, so the older stuff lingers around longer than it otherwise would. 

She said the suppliers would largely be the same, maybe the more expensive shops get first pick of the produce?  Not sure. 

But it was interesting all the same. 

Just now, lapal_fan said:

I used to work with a girl who's boyfriends job was to buy fruit and veg for supermarkets.

She said the only difference between cheaper supermarkets are more expensive ones was the more expensive ones charter aircraft to deliver their produce, whereas cheaper markets produce came by boat.

Meaning, the more expensive stuff should last 3-4 days longer than the cheaper stuff.

I know anecdotally we'll all have instances where that isn't true, but then that would be an issue with that markets management not selling that produce quick enough, so the older stuff lingers around longer than it otherwise would. 

She said the suppliers would largely be the same, maybe the more expensive shops get first pick of the produce?  Not sure. 

But it was interesting all the same. 

My brother in law sells "sticker" machines that put stickers on canned and bottled produce.  He sells and maintains them.

He's been to many factories where the same product comes off a production line and the bottles/cans are split up onto different conveyors where one of their machines will label it Premium Brand / Supermarket Brand / Lower Price Point Brand.

Not always obviously but happens a lot.

I think supermarket food in general has deteriorated, then there's shrinkflation.

The international markets are best around here.

Mr Bhavin the local grocer immortalised on Getty...

th-501888086.jpg.6f9ea385e34d8e7c9b56ef79b039058c.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

2) Sainsbury's/Tesco - identical input, different bags.

You'll find that for a lot of products, the above is the case across multiple supermarkets.

it's actually astonishing how much stuff across supermarkets is quite literally exactly the same product

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'll pass on your compliments

From your post earlier it seems like most of the people working there could do with some good news. 

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

My brother in law sells "sticker" machines that put stickers on canned and bottled produce.  He sells and maintains them.

He's been to many factories where the same product comes off a production line and the bottles/cans are split up onto different conveyors where one of their machines will label it Premium Brand / Supermarket Brand / Lower Price Point Brand.

Not always obviously but happens a lot.

Yeah as above, this is very often the case.

Just now, Genie said:

From your post earlier it seems like most of the people working there could do with some good news. 

100%

10 minutes ago, Xann said:

I think supermarket food in general has deteriorated, then there's shrinkflation.

We just noticed that Robinsons smaller bottles have reduced from 1 litre to 750ml.  

when will the madness end?

3 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Morrisons really is the best of no worlds imo.

Most things very expensive, range of foods not great, very heavily weighted on cakes/junk food, branded foods seem to cost more than other shops.

Their meat is fairly priced and they have a good craft beer selection and that’s about it. 

My weekly shop gets done in lidl mainly. 

But they do a cracking sausage roll.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

But they do a cracking sausage roll.

and Morrisons are the only supermarket that sell pork knuckles , the finest food on the planet , unless you are one of those weird ones that would rather munch on something made of pea protein and pretending to be a pig 

shame they've doubled the price of them over the last year or so , but hey ho , you can't really put a price on slow enjoyable death by crackling 

7 hours ago, mottaloo said:

I usually do my big shop at lidl in mere green.....as long as @Xela doesn't spot me and chase me out of town first 😥

They're building an Aldi now in the space Waitrose and Flints used to be. How the mighty Mere Green has fallen! ;) 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Morrisons really is the best of no worlds imo.

Most things very expensive, range of foods not great, very heavily weighted on cakes/junk food, branded foods seem to cost more than other shops.

Their meat is fairly priced and they have a good craft beer selection and that’s about it. 

My weekly shop gets done in lidl mainly. 

I went to the Mozzos hot food counter recently and asked for 9 nuggets and chips. The lad put about 20 nuggets in my box (kw) and a double portion of chips. 

For that reason alone, i will not say a bad word about them! 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Xela said:

I went to the Mozzos hot food counter recently and asked for 9 nuggets and chips. The lad put about 20 nuggets in my box (kw) and a double portion of chips. 

That hot counter was another gripe of mine, I would go in about 5pm ish after work and they would put all the left overs into bags and reduce them, only problem being the chips were literally like rocks and the sausages not much better. No excuse for food in that state.

49 minutes ago, Xela said:

Did he wink at you at the same time? 

Â