Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

4 hours ago, BOF said:

I've a few responses here :) Should cruise control be a part of learning? Not for me, although I've no strong feelings on it either way.  It's a feature, and by no means essential to actually driving a car. Personally, I like to know what gadgets my car has at my disposal, so I'll go and seek it out and experiment. But that doesn't mean it needs to be on a state course to get a licence.

As for the second point about fewer traffic problems on motorways. Maybe I'm inferring incorrectly here that there's some element of added safety to cruise control? If that's not what you're saying then fair enough, I've picked you up wrong and you can stop reading. But if someone was saying that cruise control was in some way safer than not using cruise control then I would disagree with that. Cruise control, even to a tiny degree (and I'd argue it's not a tiny degree at all, but for argument's sake let's say a tiny degree...) requires an element of detachment by the driver from what is going on at their feet. That's kinda the point of cruise control. Leave it to the car. Now if something happens in front of you on the motorway requiring immediate action - as plenty of things in front of you often do on a motorway - then the driver who does not have cruise control on, is more engaged with their driving than the cruise control driver is. Even for a split second if it's to get your feet back into position or they're in position and need to find the pedals and apply them. For me, cruise control is less safe than not using it. After all, it's you doing less driving and having less control. Even in a miniscule way.

People driving at a constant speed would definitely decrease  traffic issues. Heavy braking causes the majority of traffic jams

• Like 2

my place lined up a night out next week, meal and drinks on the company credit card, there's 60 of us going, seeing as she's German they let the receptionist book a restaurant, she's only gone and booked a steak house that starts at €50 a steak, glamourous place where you have to dress up, would end up somewhere between €100 and €200 per person, bosses caught wind of it and cancelled the lot

clearing in the woods, people just want to go get pissed somewhere not put glam rags on and tart about, book a pizza place or something sensible, even better a beer hall with wooden benches and tables

I've got a hotel booked

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

my place lined up a night out next week, meal and drinks on the company credit card, there's 60 of us going, seeing as she's German they let the receptionist book a restaurant, she's only gone and booked a steak house that starts at €50 a steak, glamourous place where you have to dress up, would end up somewhere between €100 and €200 per person, bosses caught wind of it and cancelled the lot

clearing in the woods, people just want to go get pissed somewhere not put glam rags on and tart about, book a pizza place or something sensible, even better a beer hall with wooden benches and tables

I've got a hotel booked

yep , that would be me out , I dress up for weddings and funerals only not to eat food , wooden benches and a pizza all day long 

26 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I've got a hotel booked

Exactly, and then the fear you end up sat next to the office miserable ****. I wouldn’t bother. 
It needs to be (as you say) somewhere you can move around and make a bit of noise, have a laugh.

6 hours ago, BOF said:

I've a few responses here :) Should cruise control be a part of learning? Not for me, although I've no strong feelings on it either way.  It's a feature, and by no means essential to actually driving a car. Personally, I like to know what gadgets my car has at my disposal, so I'll go and seek it out and experiment. But that doesn't mean it needs to be on a state course to get a licence.

As for the second point about fewer traffic problems on motorways. Maybe I'm inferring incorrectly here that there's some element of added safety to cruise control? If that's not what you're saying then fair enough, I've picked you up wrong and you can stop reading. But if someone was saying that cruise control was in some way safer than not using cruise control then I would disagree with that. Cruise control, even to a tiny degree (and I'd argue it's not a tiny degree at all, but for argument's sake let's say a tiny degree...) requires an element of detachment by the driver from what is going on at their feet. That's kinda the point of cruise control. Leave it to the car. Now if something happens in front of you on the motorway requiring immediate action - as plenty of things in front of you often do on a motorway - then the driver who does not have cruise control on, is more engaged with their driving than the cruise control driver is. Even for a split second if it's to get your feet back into position or they're in position and need to find the pedals and apply them. For me, cruise control is less safe than not using it. After all, it's you doing less driving and having less control. Even in a miniscule way.

It was more from a view on traffic flow rather than safety, although a lot of modern cruise control is adaptive so it will regulate your speed based on what’s in front of you, to the point that it can and will aid a hard stop if needed, so there may be some support for it adding a degree of safety too.

Maybe a step too far having it as part of the leaning to drive process, as you say it’s a feature but it’s a bloody helpful one! 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

People driving at a constant speed would definitely decrease  traffic issues. Heavy braking causes the majority of traffic jams

And numpties too busy checking their phones to realise they’ve dropped down to 50mph in the middle lane

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I've got a hotel booked

My last three trips to Michelin starred places have been casual at best. What kind of  place expects you to dress up to eat a steak? Is this a German thing?

45 minutes ago, limpid said:

My last three trips to Michelin starred places have been casual at best. What kind of  place expects you to dress up to eat a steak? Is this a German thing?

it's in the city centre near the skyscrapers and bankers so the reality is you don't, the people in there have formal clothes on because they've come straight from the offices so it's more of a fitting in thing than a house rule 

It's a crowd us construction workers don't belong in so you play along

The place is pretentious as ****, low lux levels, really noisy, expensive steak, chips sold as a side rather than included 

Mental that she tried to book there 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

We get so many of these on the local fb group.

I do laugh at the ones where people are kicking off because their takeaway has been delivered to someone else. Imagine opening the door and some bloke hands you a curry or a chinese. 

“thanks mate”

It’s my lucky day. Free take-away roulette.

Someone has taken my Uber Eats order.

Cheers, son's crying. Nice one. 

Posting on FB local groups is the preserve of attention seeking 'huns' and karens. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Tried to order some vegan burgers from Ocado, but they are sold out. Gutted. Bet some word removed has ordered them all. 

I'll bet it’s some word removed that’s done it on purpose :D 

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

yep , that would be me out , I dress up for weddings and funerals only not to eat food , wooden benches and a pizza all day long 

I don't even dress up for funerals 

This is my level

DRE8-Vv-SWs-AAM804.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Adaptive cruise control will stop you being so engaged in your driving that you’re driving too close to the guy in front. It keeps a safer distance and more monitored speed than the vast majority of drivers and has faster braking reaction times than you’ll imagine you’ve got.

I had to emergency brake last year when a kid ran out in front of me. Except, by the time I was jabbing at the brakes they weren’t there, they were already on the floor. The car reacted before I did. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Tried to order some vegan burgers from Ocado, but they are sold out. Gutted. Bet some word removed has ordered them all. 

If you were vegan we'd know by now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/04/2024 at 16:56, mjmooney said:

It's deliberate, so that you won't do your usual focused route round, but will have more opportunities to see things you might 'impulse buy'. 

Except Aldi and Lidl don't do that sort of shite and are popular for it.

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

"footballs on in a minute" 

"no it's not, it's on in 14 minutes" 

It's hard being married to a German 

Whenever we tell our 6 year old that we'll do something in a minute, he now puts a timer on Alexa.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Except Aldi and Lidl don't do that sort of shite and are popular for it.

Surely The Middle of Liddle and Aldi Special Buys are hyper impulse buying on steroids? 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Surely The Middle of Liddle and Aldi Special Buys are hyper impulse buying on steroids? 

Not the same thing though, what most supermarkets do is shit stuff around, the shop making it harder to find what you actually went in for, what Lidl and Aldi do is put it all in a special place so it doesn't get in the way of the normal products.

As it happens, I actually went to Lidl especially for a middle aisle item the other week, a wire brush :D 

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

As it happens, I actually went to Lidl especially for a middle aisle item the other week, a wire brush :D 

Chronic piles? 

Â