Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

7 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I feel like there’s a lot of hype about it. Like A LOT. 

If it’s as good as you say, then great. Me and the wife will surely watch it at some point. So as long as we avoid spoilers then I’ll look forward to it.

Until this year, though, when the buzz around it on the internet is reaching unbearable levels, my only exposure to it has been the little clips you see on Gogglebox, and from that (I know it’s not much to go on), it just looked like every other british drama that they watch on Gogglebox and look shocked about. Apart from a few twists and turns, I didn’t see what what so great.

I watched series 1 and 2 (I think the first series was filmed in Birmingham and had Neil Morrisey in) and was bored senseless. I thought it was just another grey BBC drama full of drab characters. I've watched it through gogglebox like you and I still don't think it's for me.

I know I'm in the minority though, fair enough if you enjoy it. I could do without my mom asking me if I watched the last episode every time I speak to her and then explaining the whole plot line but "without spoiling it" in case I decide to watch it.

without wanting to make this the TV thread...

due to the german wife ive worked my way through british dramas in the last year because she's never heard of them before and i hadnt watched them, including LoD

i would say that in terms of terrestrial TV, so competing with broadchurch, young victoria, mr selfridge, downtown, the bodyguard, luther, sherlock, peaky blinders, this is england - ive still got to watch killing eve, little axe and its a sin - its definitely towards the top half of that list, behind peak blinders, this is england and peak luther for me (again bearing in mind im watching it in german not english)

back to piss me off - i cannot get killing eve in english with german subtitles

16 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I feel like there’s a lot of hype about it. Like A LOT. 

If it’s as good as you say, then great. Me and the wife will surely watch it at some point. So as long as we avoid spoilers then I’ll look forward to it.

Until this year, though, when the buzz around it on the internet is reaching unbearable levels, my only exposure to it has been the little clips you see on Gogglebox, and from that (I know it’s not much to go on), it just looked like every other british drama that they watch on Gogglebox and look shocked about. Apart from a few twists and turns, I didn’t see what what so great.

Exactly this for me. 

I'm probably predjudiced against British (and American) police procedural series, as I'm so heavily into the European ones (Killing, Bridge, Spiral, etc.) 

• Like 1

I’ve never seen LoD, I could be tempted to if it wasn’t six f*****g series worth! That’s 35 hours of TV, with more to follow, no doubt. That’s too much commitment and something that pisses me off about many TV shows. I want to watch something interesting, not sign up to a prison sentence. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I’ve never seen LoD, I could be tempted to if it wasn’t six f*****g series worth! That’s 35 hours of TV, with more to follow, no doubt. That’s too much commitment and something that pisses me off about many TV shows. I want to watch something interesting, not sign up to a prison sentence. 

This is why I struggle with watching any TV series. Much rather watch a movie.

• Like 1

Yeah, that’s not happening. My wife’s parents used to watch that every night when I lived with them for a year. I grew to hate it. Its on par with watching soaps for me. When all of your free time is controlled by getting through countless episodes, I’m out. 

• Like 2

If you think I'm watching a sad Raquel from corrie for an hour a week, with a blue filter you can **** off.

I got some dino data needs addressing. 

Last night, I killed Modi, Thor's brother in front of a dead, mountain-sized snow giant on God of War, which is better than sad Raquel from Corrie with a blue filter.

Oh wait.. that's the other British cop drama.. boring. 

• Like 1

I'm  a member of my local leisure centre so have gone back swimming in the last few weeks. 

All the pool is divided in 3 lanes- fast, medium, slow and no overtaking is allowed for social distancing. I admit I am not that fast a swimmer so I tend go in the middle. The fast I have to go pull pelt and always feel that I am slowing others down. Slow you can basically walk faster than that.

Now every time since I have been back I go ok for a while in the middle until someone always starts to do backstroke incredibly slowly. Every time! It causes a massive bunching up of everybody else. First world problems.

A couple of listings I’ve seen on Facebook recently.

Selling [item] for [price]. If not sold by the end of the week I’ll chuck them in the skip. 

Just give it away for free you prick.

One of the items is a conservatory, it’s £300 but if nobody buys it he’s going to pay for a skip to throw it into. Weird.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

A couple of listings I’ve seen on Facebook recently.

Selling [item] for [price]. If not sold by the end of the week I’ll chuck them in the skip. 

Just give it away for free you prick.

One of the items is a conservatory, it’s £300 but if nobody buys it he’s going to pay for a skip to throw it into. Weird.

If he has a deadline, it makes sense. Trying to make a little back. There's a window of a week that you can dismantle and remove for £300, otherwise he'll have to do it himself at cost because he has a replacement booked in the following week and the area needs to be clear. Who knows, in a couple of days he may knock it down to free

Just now, bickster said:

If he has a deadline, it makes sense. Trying to make a little back. There's a window of a week that you can dismantle and remove for £300, otherwise he'll have to do it himself at cost because he has a replacement booked in the following week and the area needs to be clear. Who knows, in a couple of days he may knock it down to free

Yeah I suppose.

I’d have thought someone taking it down, and away for free was the win/win. 
I can understand why he’s trying his luck, but it’s increasing his likelihood of having to take it down himself and buy a skip.

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Also, if it's seemingly set in or around Brum does anybody actually have a Brummie accent in it?  Doesn't look like it based on the cast.

Yes, but sporadically.

It's a very unspecific setting to be honest. It's just "Midlands" as far as I know

Going back to the price of Pop and snacks. Do you guys never pop to Aldi? Their ZX Cola is quality. Moser Roth chocolate is amongst the best quality you can find in shops. It’s the best imo. I love Lidl as well for most things but their Cola is a bit plop. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Also, if it's seemingly set in or around Brum does anybody actually have a Brummie accent in it?  Doesn't look like it based on the cast.

Fairly important character is a brummie and villa fan. Very strong accent. That strong I assumed it was a non brummie hamming it up at first

27 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Going back to the price of Pop and snacks. Do you guys never pop to Aldi? Their ZX Cola is quality. Moser Roth chocolate is amongst the best quality you can find in shops. It’s the best imo. I love Lidl as well for most things but their Cola is a bit plop. 

Moser Roth is amazing! The dark chocolate orange mousse one is my favourite. It’s sublime stuff. 

On a monthly 2.3/3 hour long client call.

every.single.month a guy called Ronnie from the NE has to have his say, about his regions problems.  Everyone else understands that you just STFU and get this behemoth out of the way, so you can carry on with work (or playstation, whatever, that's semantics innit). 

But about 15-25 minutes worth of interjections and comments.

I've never wanted to scream "YOU HAVE NO AUTHORITY HERE, RONNIE, NONE AT ALL" as much in my life man, **** balls. 

edit, I beat the filter, muhahaha.

Edited by lapal_fan

41 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

unfortunately i have no choice...city living means that the "big" shops are basically a tesco express, so i'll go to aldi. lidl or netto for the weekly shop depending on whats on offer (we still get paper magazines delivered every saturday) so me and the wife will plan our shopping and our week based on the offers...and they'll have 30% of it if we're lucky...they're shocking for stock levels, so much so that i think they're a waste of time and usually the wife goes alone (paired with the fact that i find them horrible places in general, i never walk around an aldi and find inspiration to cook something great or weird or new, its boring in there)

i would say that supermarkets are one of the things i actually miss about england, here they're expensive, have a huge "special offer" culture, never have stock, its a chore

but back on to the soft drinks we do have this - 

See the source image

Orange cola, by coca cola, surprised thats never made its way to the UK, its good, its also not unusual for my wife to order an orange juice with lemonade and cola in a restaurant and thats considered normal

Â