Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

2 hours ago, bickster said:

I just checked out the MPG on a 2010 honda civic, thats an eco-terrorist on 4 wheels.

Even a Mondeo from 2010 would do much better than that - approx 50 mpg and that model was introduced in 2007.

Try and persuade someone to steal it, leave it unlocked, the keys in the ingition and handwritten sign saying "steal me... please"

Spot on that. In my defence, it’s the car my missus had when I met her and her ex chose it in a bid to show off prior to them splitting. Going against me is that my vehicle of choice is a Peugeot Tweet 125 Scooter 😂. But hey, £5 a month in fuel is nothing to be sniffed at and off sets her petrol costs. 

Edited by Ingram85

2 hours ago, villan-scott said:

My 2 little lads are watching Thomas the Tank - Steam Team on Netflix right now. All the trains have American accents. The Fat Controller is still English. 

This is sacrilege to an English icon. 

My daugher always preferred the version of Rev W. Awdry which was narrated by Ringo Starr from the 80's, when she was growing up.

It's all computerised shite these days unfortunately.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

My daugher always preferred the version of Rev W. Awdry which was narrated by Ringo Starr from the 80's, when she was growing up.

Michael Angelis did far more of them than RIngo

18 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

My son used to get insanely worried about the episode where the dam breaks.   Used to hop around from foot to foot telling them to be quick even though he'd seen it like 500 times before. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

Michael Angelis did far more of them than RIngo

Wow, and did the score for Chariots of Fire and Blade Runner... Talanted bloke. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Wow, and did the score for Chariots of Fire and Blade Runner... Talanted bloke. 

Ah but I just discovered this bit of trivia... which is an excellent piece of triv

Michael Angelis was the longest running Thomas the Tank Engine narrator and he took over from Ringo Starr (and lots of people didn't actually notice) but Angelis' brother Paul actually did the voice of RIngo in the Yellow Submarine film

See the B**tles so talentless they had to get voice doubles in to do their own voices in their own film!

• Haha 1

I think I've mentioned this before but I was once asked to place some insurance cover on Thomas The Tank Engine. The insurer wanted to know what the weight of it was so I called the haulier to find out.  His response was "Which Thomas is it? There are 2 of different weights"

I felt like a 6 year old being told Santa wasn't real. 

Edited by sidcow

Talking about insuring things that aren't real, I managed to avoid being too disappointed by having to sit through one of the later Jurassic Park sequels in the cinema by spending the running time trying to decide which financial institution would have been stupid enough to underwrite the corporate liability insurance for like, the 5th time the dinosaur-regeneration-theme-park idea failed.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Was just about to say was he not after Ringo, but noticed you've beat me too it and that he was.

I don't think I seen/heard many of them by him tbh.

Like the rest of the world, you probably didn't notice, RIngo did 2 series, Angelis 16. They are pretty hard to tell apart vocally, both being of a similar age and growing up in the same small area of inner city Liverpool. I'm not sure how long it took me to notice the change

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Like the rest of the world, you probably didn't notice, RIngo did 2 series, Angelis 16. They are pretty hard to tell apart vocally, both being of a similar age and growing up in the same small area of inner city Liverpool. I'm not sure how long it took me to notice the change

You'll be able to comment on this, but I've always noticed two quite distinct scouse accents - the sort of high-pitched singsong whiny type, like (say) Steven Gerrard, and a slower, more laconic version, typified by Ringo and George Harrison. 

20 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Talking about insuring things that aren't real, I managed to avoid being too disappointed by having to sit through one of the later Jurassic Park sequels in the cinema by spending the running time trying to decide which financial institution would have been stupid enough to underwrite the corporate liability insurance for like, the 5th time the dinosaur-regeneration-theme-park idea failed.

The broker would 100% state in the broking presentation that it was "a good risk of it's type" 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

You'll be able to comment on this, but I've always noticed two quite distinct scouse accents - the sort of high-pitched singsong whiny type, like (say) Steven Gerrard, and a slower, more laconic version, typified by Ringo and George Harrison. 

There's definitely more than one scouse accent but not only that its changed considerably over time

Ringo and George Harrison (and Michael Angelis for that matter) are typical of that generation from the south side of the city. Gerrard is from Huyton and his accent is more modern and is a sort of South / North cross, its not as harsh / exagerated an accent as say Bootle (think Jamie Carragher) but its nowhere near as soft as someone from the south end. I'd also say that class didn't used to be much of a differentiator as RIngo and Harrison were worlds apart growing up, RIngo was working class and Harrison was a middle class kid but the accents are similar. But as time goes on class definitely does act as a differentiator. I'd also say, the accents have changed quite noticeably in the thirty odd years I've lived here, to my ears it seems to have morphed much more than any other accent

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

RIngo was working class and Harrison was a middle class kid

Far be it from me to question your Beatles expertise, but the only middle class one was Lennon. Harrison's dad was a bus driver. Although Ringo was definitely from the lowest ranks. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

Far be it from me to question your Beatles expertise, but the only middle class one was Lennon. Harrison's dad was a bus driver. Although Ringo was definitely from the lowest ranks. 

Harrison went to the Institute, posh school

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Harrison went to the Institute, posh school

Not a class indicator, really. I grew up on a council estate but went to a grammar school. 

Â