Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Just as annoying is when they slow down and let you out.

It shouldn't be annoying because they're being nice. But by the time it has taken them to slow down, and for you to realise they're letting you out, they could have just driven past and you'd have been able to pull out anyway

Yes, the slowing down to let you out in a relative empty road with free flowing traffic is stupidity

4 hours ago, Genie said:

I find that if you’re waiting at a T junction to turn right and the car coming from the left doesn’t let you out it’s a female driver about 90% of the time.

Men generally have computed that it makes little difference to them flick the lights and let you out, but a big help to the other car. Female drivers will almost always make you wait. They won’t make eye contact either like they know what they’ve done is a bit selfish. 

That’s from my extensive research :D 

I must be a woman. What does a flicked light mean?  There are rules of the road for a reason. Imagine the following scenario

Driver looking for a claim flicks his lights or some other meaningless gesture telling you to pull out (you think), then floors it into your car as you pull out. You're at fault and the injury claim is his.

You should only ever pull out (cue: KW) if you are confident it is safe to do so not because someone flashes their lights. They might for example have just hit a pothole in the road which appears they've flashed their lights at you .

Happens quite a bit with cyslists on the country lanes by where I live, I'm behind them driving slowly because I can't see what is past the sharp bends, they wave me through, well they can bugger off, I'll make my move to safely overtake them when I can see enough of the oncoming lane, not because some cysclist doesn't like me driving behind them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bickster said:

Happens quite a bit with cyslists on the country lanes by where I live, I'm behind them driving slowly because I can't see what is past the sharp bends, they wave me through, well they can bugger off, I'll make my move to safely overtake them when I can see enough of the oncoming lane, not because some cysclist doesn't like me driving behind them.

Tbh i do this.  Mainly when it's some old dear who sat behind for a few mins on a country lane and as I'm a tall barsteward I can see over the hedges. 

Although I have had it done to me while I'm driving when it hasn't been that safe, usually by the 2 guys sitting 2 abreast on a narrow road, utter words removed. 😁

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Genie said:

I find that if you’re waiting at a T junction to turn right and the car coming from the left doesn’t let you out it’s a female driver about 90% of the time.

Men generally have computed that it makes little difference to them flick the lights and let you out, but a big help to the other car. Female drivers will almost always make you wait. They won’t make eye contact either like they know what they’ve done is a bit selfish. 

I've done this one before, but it bugs me, so I'll repeat it. I live on a busy main road. To get to my house, I normally drive down a side road, turn right onto the main road, pass a pedestrian centre refuge, and turn right across the traffic into our drive. 

Typical scenario: I'm at the T junction. A gap presents itself in the traffic coming from the right. But coming from the left is a steady stream of cars, with no gaps big enough to quickly 'jump into' - a big gap is desirable, as I know I'll probably have to brake almost immediately to get into the the middle of the road in preparation to swing into the drive (possibly across some oncoming traffic). One of the stream coming from the left moves to the middle of the main road, indicating right (i.e. to enter the side road on which I am waiting). The driver sees me indicating right, sees there's nothing coming towards us - and flashes/waves me out. Obviously they don't know that I can't just nip across and accelerate away, as I'm going to immediately slow down and turn into the drive. But even so, they never seem to look in the mirror and notice all the traffic coming from their direction and passing on their left side, that makes my right turn out of the question. I don't go. They roll their eyes, throw up their hands, and swing past me looking at me like I'm an ungrateful incompetent. 

This must happen at least once on every three occasions. 

There is an alternative: I could arrange it so that I approach the house on the main road from the opposite direction, and turn left into the drive. Much simpler, you say. The catch is that it's a narrow entrance and a tight turn, which necessitates (a) slowing down considerably and (b) moving out toward the centre of the road (while indicating left), to allow room for the turn. This invariably enrages the driver of the fast moving car behind me, who will as often as not 'undertake' just as I'm turning left. Deadly. 

Maybe I should just move house. 

EDIT: tl;dr version - just obey the rules of the road. 

Edited by mjmooney

56 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Are you sure about those prices?

When I last went pre-covid I paid £40 for 2 adults & 2 children with a half price discount. So it would normally be around £80.

This also gives you a free re-entry within the year, so actually it cost us £20 for each visit for a family.  

Lots of people take picnics, there is nice grassy area where everyone is having picnics, so hardly any food cost except for an ice-cream and a cold drink.

We’ve thought it’s such good value, we’ve been there 6 times in the last 4 pre-covid years.

50-A86-E55-444-F-4-B48-BA41-A166696-DEB1

£40x2 + £33x2 = £146

To just drive round and look at the animals in the car would be £90 (Adults £25, children £20) which I also think is a bit OTT.

58 minutes ago, bickster said:

I must be a woman. What does a flicked light mean?  There are rules of the road for a reason. Imagine the following scenario

Driver looking for a claim flicks his lights or some other meaningless gesture telling you to pull out (you think), then floors it into your car as you pull out. You're at fault and the injury claim is his.

Yeah, I appreciate the law on it. However millions of journeys every day are helped by someone giving another driver a quick flash of lights and slowing down to let someone pull out of a junction.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Yeah, I appreciate the law on it. However millions of journeys every day are helped by someone giving another driver a quick flash of lights and slowing down to let someone pull out of a junction.

Just remember never to let Bicks out of a junction, he wouldn't appreciate it ;) 

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

£40x2 + £33x2 = £146

To just drive round and look at the animals in the car would be £90 (Adults £25, children £20) which I also think is a bit OTT.

Ah right, that includes wristbands for everyone for the rides. 

We just went for the safari which was £80 previously (now £90), but half price with Tesco clubcard points.   

And don’t forget it gives you a free entry again at a future date, so the £90 becomes £45 becomes £22.50 per visit.

As for the wristbands, you don’t all need a wristband. Depending on the age of the children, you could either just pay per ride, or both kids and 1 adult get a wristband if an adult needs to accompany them.

The wristbands are also half price through Tesco clubcard.

I doubt hardly anyone pays full price for WMSP, that would be like paying full price for a Dominos pizza.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

£40x2 + £33x2 = £146

Also the ‘just the animals’ price also includes getting out of the car and going to the reptile show, the sealion show, the feeding of the penguins, the train ride, etc.

• Thanks 1

@Genie depending how far away you are from the WMSP the better value is the annual pass. We have them and been a few times already since it reopened. Includes rides and animal entry and can go as many times as you like. 

Easy day out for us as we’re in Cookley, near Kidderminster. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

@Genie depending how far away you are from the WMSP the better value is the annual pass. We have them and been a few times already since it reopened. Includes rides and animal entry and can go as many times as you like. 

Easy day out for us as we’re in Cookley, near Kidderminster. 

Cheers I’ll have a look at that. We went 2019 and got the second “free” trip in too. 

19 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Its crazy isnt it, way beyond inflation some of the recent price increases I've seen.

The one positive about the safari park is that you get a free return ticket included in that price, so £70 for each visit if you look at it like that, can go now and then again later in the year.

I find myself moaning about the price of things recently. Last three examples that spring to mind were Dominos chicken nuggets/goujons at £10 for a 'large' portion. £10 ffs. For chicken nuggets. Pringles 'on offer' in Sainsburys for £2, down from £3.25?! When were pringles any more than £1.50? And finally Weetabix for £6.50 for a big box. I think I said a bit too loudly at the supermarket, "on what f***** planet is Weetabix £6.50!?"

2 litre bottles of branded fizzy pop were £1 everywhere until about 2 years ago.  Now they're £2, literally doubled. You can get them for £1.50 on offer but even that's a 50% uplift from where it was. 

I'm amazed anyone pays £2. We just won't buy any unless it's on offer. 

Just now, sidcow said:

2 litre bottles of branded fizzy pop were £1 everywhere until about 2 years ago.  Now they're £2, literally doubled. You can get them for £1.50 on offer but even that's a 50% uplift from where it was. 

I'm amazed anyone pays £2. We just won't buy any unless it's on offer. 

My OH drinks gallons of Pepsi Max, luckily it’s almost always on offer at £1.50

1 minute ago, Genie said:

My OH drinks gallons of Pepsi Max, luckily it’s almost always on offer at £1.50

Where do you shop? Round here they seem to rotate around the supermarkets but Sainsburys almost never have it on offer. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

£40x2 + £33x2 = £146

See pricing structures like this all the time and it always annoys me. My little one is 3 years old so suddenly it costs the same to take him somewhere as it would to take a 15 year old. However he was free before he turned 3. Surely they could have a tiered system for younger and older kids as the older usually get a lot more out of places than 3 year olds. 

• Like 1

Just now, sidcow said:

Where do you shop? Round here they seem to rotate around the supermarkets but Sainsburys almost never have it on offer. 

I tend to get my 'pop' from B&M (3L of Pepsi Max for £1.75 @Genie). Usually buy a tray of Coke Zero or Pepsi Max cans for a decent price. The big Iceland's as well (Iceland Food Warehouse) are surprisingly cheap for non frozen food like boxes of crips and trays of lager. 

• Like 2

The sugar tax in Poland included sugar replacement / free drinks, so now it’s difficult to get a 1.5L bottle (the standard large size here) of either Pepsi Max or Coke Zero for less than the equivalent of a quid, which represented a 50% increase at least overnight.

In the UK I always viewed 2L bottles of pop and 150g bags of crisps as things that should cost £1 each and I’d just buy whichever was on that offer any given week.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

See pricing structures like this all the time and it always annoys me. My little one is 3 years old so suddenly it costs the same to take him somewhere as it would to take a 15 year old. However he was free before he turned 3. Surely they could have a tiered system for younger and older kids as the older usually get a lot more out of places than 3 year olds. 

Just tell them he is 2 3/4. I got away with that with mine till they were at least five

• Like 1

Â