Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

34 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I gave up in 1991 thank god.  But I used to smoke a lot.  

Bearing in mind I was living at home I would have my first smoke in bed as soon as I woke up. 

I would have number 2 after I'd got showered.  Number 3 on the way to the bus stop.  4 and 5, 6 if bad traffic on the top deck (obviously) of the bus. Number 7 between the bus stop and the office.  As well as my 3 in the bogs I would have 3 at lunch time. 

Easily 20 to 30 on a normal day. 40 if there was a night out.  Frightening really. 

What pisses of many people though is when I tell them that once I decided to give up (I pretended to a couple of times but didn't really mean it) I literally just stopped overnight.  Never had cravings and in fact it genuinely seems alien to me that I used to smoke. 

The first office I worked in Brum (78-84 Colmore Row), people still smoked in the offices. Ashrays on desks... Directors sitting back in their leather chairs, with a pipe, talking into a tape recorder before passing the cassette over to their secretary to type up the letter on the computer. Madness to think isn't it? Seems generations ago. I didn't realise it was only 2006 that made it illegal as i'm sure most offices had banned it before then?

Was a heavy smoker. Gave up. Had a drag on a jazz cigarette about 4 years later. Coughed my lungs up and that was it. Don’t miss it. Don’t think about it but I used zyban to give up. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I'm convinced that this something genetic. My Dad smoked fairly heavily all his life, until he retired, and decided he couldn't afford it. So he stopped, cold turkey. No problem at all, with the result that he was totally intolerant of people who struggled to give up, thought they were basically being drama queens. I was much the same (although I never went much above ten a day) - gave up with no problem. I used to enjoy smoking, but I don't think I ever had what could be described as 'cravings'. 

It’s a weird thing for me , I gave up smoking one day and for the life of me can’t understand why people struggle with it ... until Monday my last alcoholic drink was back in October and again no hardship , no biggie I quite often go months at a time without alcohol 

but If I go a day without a Pepsi Max I fall apart and get huge cravings for the stuff 

go figure 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

It’s a weird thing for me , I gave up smoking one day and for the life of me can’t understand why people struggle with it ... until Monday my last alcoholic drink was back in October and again no hardship , no biggie I quite often go months at a time without alcohol 

but If I go a day without a Pepsi Max I fall apart and get huge cravings for the stuff 

go figure 

Thought I saw you in Monday’s Coventry photos.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

go figure 

My wife is hooked on Pepsi Max. She drinks gallons of the stuff.

With giving stuff up, I think a lot of it is down to motivation. If you really, truly want to give something up, then you'll do it. I think people struggle when tey don't really want to give something up. If you're giving up smoking because you think you probably should but you can afford it and you like it and you don't really want to, then you'll really struggle.

If you truly want to, like you've just had a baby or you're pregnant (if you're a woman obvs) etc then you'll do it no problem.

Same with diets. My sister is quite overweight but I know that even though she talks about diets every now and then she will never actually lose much weight, if any, because she doesn't actually care that she's big, so she'll never have the motivation to do it

• Like 1

I've mentioned before, but I'm addicted to PlayStation to a degree and play it probably, 90% of the nights, when my wife goes up to bed.

I like doing it (obviously), but I should be spending more time with my wife than I have done - pretty pathetic really.  The "urges" I get (that probably sounds too extreme for what I actually feel) must be the kind of compulsive feelings gamblers get when seeing a bookies or something.

I think it's the kind of positive feedback loop, plus the social aspect of it.  Not sure, but it's something I've always said "I'm fine" about, but really, deep down I know it's a problem.

That said, I went 2/3 weeks over Xmas not playing it and was fine.

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

I've mentioned before, but I'm addicted to PlayStation to a degree and play it probably, 90% of the nights, when my wife goes up to bed.

I like doing it (obviously), but I should be spending more time with my wife than I have done - pretty pathetic really.  The "urges" I get (that probably sounds too extreme for what I actually feel) must be the kind of compulsive feelings gamblers get when seeing a bookies or something.

I think it's the kind of positive feedback loop, plus the social aspect of it.  Not sure, but it's something I've always said "I'm fine" about, but really, deep down I know it's a problem.

That said, I went 2/3 weeks over Xmas not playing it and was fine.

Luckily your wife is addicted to spending time away from you because you're such a smelly bumder so everybody wins

• Haha 3

Some of them also appear to be absolutely vile pieces of crap who sexually harass and sexually assault fellow female youtubers and then attempt to try to cover it up, victim blame and get their ‘base’ to harass and shame the victim even more. 

If there really was a god then the Paul brothers would be eradicated from the planet. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Some of them also appear to be absolutely vile pieces of crap who sexually harass and sexually assault fellow female youtubers and then attempt to try to cover it up, victim blame and get their ‘base’ to harass and shame the victim even more. 

If there really was a god then the Paul brothers would be eradicated from the planet. 

YouTube has shown it’s true colours with them several times by always putting profit in front of ethics.

• Like 1

Very rarely post on Facebook so not very savvy on it but  ... a good mate and Villa Supporter for some 50 odd years got a 'yellow card' for one of his posts. The post referred to "faggots and peas"  - a well known Black Country dish. Presumably , FB disliked 'Faggot'; my mates politics are slightly to the left of Tony Benn so Political Correctness is quite important to him. This seems madness to me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, veloman said:

Very rarely post on Facebook so not very savvy on it but  ... a good mate and Villa Supporter for some 50 odd years got a 'yellow card' for one of his posts. The post referred to "faggots and peas"  - a well known Black Country dish. Presumably , FB disliked 'Faggot'; my mates politics are slightly to the left of Tony Benn so Political Correctness is quite important to him. This seems madness to me.

Frankly, I'm surprised that I've not had to add it to our word filter. Google must do a better job of processing this than Facebook.

• Like 1

Â