Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Singing/Talent/Dance shows. They've totally taken over prime time weekend telly.  It's totally saturated with them. 

As soon as one finishes the next one starts and there is a constant never ending search for the next naff format. 

Why the hell can't they just make a proper TV show, a decent drama or comedy.  It especially pisses me off that my BBC licence fee is pissed away on them. At least leave that shit to the commercial channel. 

It's become incessant. Surely people are bored by now? 

One of the reasons I only watch Netflix or Prime. Terrestrial TV is dead.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

One of the reasons I only watch Netflix or Prime. Terrestrial TV is dead.

I can't remember the last time I watched 'live' TV. Got to be years. 

Like you, everything I watch now is either on Netflix/Britbox/Youtube/iPlayer etc 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

I can't remember the last time I watched 'live' TV. Got to be years. 

Like you, everything I watch now is either on Netflix/Britbox/Youtube/iPlayer etc 

We live in an on demand world now, I can’t be doing with watching something that I don’t want to. I only put the TV on to either find things for my list, or to watch things from the list. Channel hopping is so 2005. 

On 07/04/2021 at 18:34, It's Your Round said:

I know (knew) the place well, in fact I rolled my first spliff in that bandstand in 1995. I dread to think how bad that high street is nowadays. I did go back for a look a few years ago on a visit to Telford, it was pretty much as your Dad described, full of Dawley dole dossers shouting in the street. 

I moved from Cannock to Madeley Telford, dont like going to Dawley much either. Mrs T's son used to be fast bowler for Madeley Firsts and seconds , always  good to play Broseley. They were so up for it. As I was not involved in the rivalry I said thought Broseley would be a nice place to live  almost got banned 

Edited by Robtaylor200

At work we have what is known as an “Eagle Eye”, if you spot a quality issue that your not expected to see. You get your name and picture on the screens around the place and £10  on your clock card for the vending machines. As a supervisor I am not allowed to partake, any way I spotted something the other night and thought I would give it to my of my Romanian staff

This is the conversation

If you can spot what is wrong with this, I will get you a tenner.

Eventually she spots it. Well done you have an eagle eye I will get you a tenner.

What when I find one too

No you just found this one didn’t you (wink wink)

When

Just now

Spotted what

The defect

What defect

The one you just spotted

When was that

Just, so you will get £10

What for

It doesn’t matter forget it

Any body want a tenner

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep, Marvel movies, I can understand how kids like them, they have goodies and baddies and monsters, but there is little beyond that other than a marking of the art progress of CGI. I’ve been in the room when most Marvel films have been on and it really doesn’t do it for me. I’d throw batman in with that, and Spider-Man and superman and then the fighting robot cars toy franchise. 

TV talent competitions, the only thing that impresses me there, is that the mother in law is still surprised when it turns out fat men, ugly women and small children can sing. She must have been watching tv talent shows since the start of tv talent shows, but is shocked on a weekly basis that there are normal looking people out there that can hold a note. The other thing that impresses me is that after 30 years of knowing me, and knowing my quite consistent reaction for 30 years, she still thinks this week’s surprise person that was normal but could sing, will be the one that converts me to tv talent shows.

But hey, I’ve got to remember, just because I don’t like the nasal misery that is Bob Dylan and just because I don’t like kids films about Thor, and just because I don’t like Hughie Green, that just means it’s not for me.

I bet there are people out there that don’t like mid 70’s dub vinyl, lower league football, or the early history of the type 3 VW variant. Or as I call them, weirdos.

I can understand adults who like the Marvel films who were brought up on the comics in the 60s and 70s, nostalgia innit

10 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I can understand adults who like the Marvel films who were brought up on the comics in the 60s and 70s, nostalgia innit

I’ve just got this nagging feeling that it’s all based on a 1930’s super race will solve your problems sort of vibe. Which leads to people looking for quick fix populist answers to difficult long haul questions.

I basically blame Iron Man for the rise of Farage and Stephen Yaxley Lennon.

18 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I was that 1960s kid. I loved the 60s Marvel and DC comics. And I'm a notoriously nostalgic person (my wife criticises me for it constantly). But if I ever want a 60s comics nostalgia fix, I look at a 60s comic. The films have absolutely zero emotional connection for me. 

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep, Marvel movies, I can understand how kids like them, they have goodies and baddies and monsters, but there is little beyond that other than a marking of the art progress of CGI. I’ve been in the room when most Marvel films have been on and it really doesn’t do it for me. I’d throw batman in with that, and Spider-Man and superman and then the fighting robot cars toy franchise. 

TV talent competitions, the only thing that impresses me there, is that the mother in law is still surprised when it turns out fat men, ugly women and small children can sing. She must have been watching tv talent shows since the start of tv talent shows, but is shocked on a weekly basis that there are normal looking people out there that can hold a note. The other thing that impresses me is that after 30 years of knowing me, and knowing my quite consistent reaction for 30 years, she still thinks this week’s surprise person that was normal but could sing, will be the one that converts me to tv talent shows.

But hey, I’ve got to remember, just because I don’t like the nasal misery that is Bob Dylan and just because I don’t like kids films about Thor, and just because I don’t like Hughie Green, that just means it’s not for me.

I bet there are people out there that don’t like mid 70’s dub vinyl, lower league football, or the early history of the type 3 VW variant. Or as I call them, weirdos.

Have the same conversations with my mum... did you watch strictly last night ?

Me - No, I’ve never watched it ..

her - well one of the dancers did a thing with their partner and got 4 perfect 10 scores and it turns out they are seeing each other outside the show and having an affair .

me ... never heard of them , still don’t watch the show , still don’t care

her ... oh  , did you see I’m a celebrity, one of the people 

me - let me stop you right there 

every bloody week we get this sort of conversation with whatever celeb crap is showing ... a part of me actually hopes  she is secretly posting on a football forum amusing her fellow posters with tales of  this elaborate wind up she has kept going for years where she annoys her son just for laughs .

Film wise I’ll pretty much watch anything , the marvel films aren’t great but they help  to kill a couple of  hours , same with the Harry Potter films that I got dragged along to watch with Mrs H ... good thing about them is i could use them to get “revenge”  by asking , who is that , what are they doing that for ? Why does a cloak that makes you invisible also make your footsteps silent   , if He’s a wizard why doesn’t he use magic and fix it so he’s not ginger .. and so on 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am not outing myself by saying I love shit telly. Strictly, The Voice, all of that. Its background to conversation thats all. I am not going to have dialogue driven drama on and talk all through it, whereas I can have z list celebrities doing an Argentine tango and my wife and I can have a conversation or I can fix my grandsons toy car for the 50th time. (I pretend I am a mechanic who inflates the charges, he finds this hilarious) the telly is secondary to all of this. 

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I am not outing myself by saying I love shit telly. Strictly, The Voice, all of that. Its background to conversation thats all. I am not going to have dialogue driven drama on and talk all through it, whereas I can have z list celebrities doing an Argentine tango and my wife and I can have a conversation or I can fix my grandsons toy car for the 50th time. (I pretend I am a mechanic who inflates the charges, he finds this hilarious) the telly is secondary to all of this. 

Or you could turn it off. 

Fortunately the only weakness Mrs Sidcow has is the dancing show. I never have to suffer the talent or reality shows. 

That said she still watches shite TV. My life is basically spent on my tablet whilst in the background I hear endless hours of CSI or QI or Friends or The Big Bang Theory. Thank god for Columbo.

I'm basically waiting for her to go to bed so I can watch my own brand of shite TV like Car SOS, Villa repeats, history shows or Quadrophenia/David Bowie documentaries for the 10th time that year. 

Edited by sidcow

I've seen most/a lot of the Marvel/DC movies and some are ok, some I just don't get, but I understand why people like them. I'm just not a fan of massive CGI fests.

Batman will always be my favourite superhero (well, I guess he isn't technically a superhero) because he's human and fighting humans. No superpowers. 

I quite like Man of Steel, right up until the fight between Superman and Zod... then my brain switched off. Watching cities being destroyed as they throw each other around isn't entertaining. For me anyway. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

I've seen most/a lot of the Marvel/DC movies and some are ok, some I just don't get, but I understand why people like them. I'm just not a fan of massive CGI fests.

Batman will always be my favourite superhero (well, I guess he isn't technically a superhero) because he's human and fighting humans. No superpowers. 

I quite like Man of Steel, right up until the fight between Superman and Zod... then my brain switched off. Watching cities being destroyed as they throw each other around isn't entertaining. For me anyway. 

I'm exactly the same.  As soon as too much CGI is used I just lose all interest really.  On the other hand if I read a book version of a sci-fi film for example I'm not so bothered as i have to use my imagination, but if I see it on screen looking so fake it's a massive turn-off for me.

• Like 1

Â