Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Another expression, or turn of phrase...

“Oh ‘The Simpsons’....is that still a thing?”

“Dido’s got a new album out? Didn’t realise she was still a thing...”

“Yeah pubs used to be different, back when smoking indoors was a thing.”

It’s widespread, I know it’s not going anywhere, it is now very much a thing

Congratulations. 

Now piss off.

• Like 1

On 08/11/2020 at 22:15, Davkaus said:

So I'm a nerd. And I play DnD, with a group of people that I think a certain demographic would describe as liberal snowflakes. I pretty much just stick to nerdy discussions and leave politics/identify issues at the door. But today I was sent a "consent form" for a game, and I can't stop laughing. I'm a green-voting vegan, and I don't think I can take these people seriously anymore.

I'm fine with rape, genocide and terrorism, but if anyone is thirsty, I'm out of here. 

image.thumb.png.13c2bd39b46bcab640441f970f559db8.png

Aside from the general weirdness of this being ‘a thing’ (sorry @Mark Albrighton), what pisses me off most about this form is the term ‘bugs’. It’s an Americanism that has seeped into the UK. I hear it all the time to describe insects, arachnids, beetles etc... it’s just lazy and winds me up. I’m not a biologist by any means, but we seem to be losing the details in life. Details that make things more interesting. 

I went to Homebase to buy a mop and bucket yesterday but didn't realise I picked up two buckets by mistake as one was inside the other.  You would think the sales girl would have said something, I mean who purposely buys one mop and two buckets?  She must have noticed as I got charged for two.

51 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Aside from the general weirdness of this being ‘a thing’ (sorry @Mark Albrighton), what pisses me off most about this form is the term ‘bugs’. It’s an Americanism that has seeped into the UK. I hear it all the time to describe insects, arachnids, beetles etc... it’s just lazy and winds me up. I’m not a biologist by any means, but we seem to be losing the details in life. Details that make things more interesting. 

The Hemiptera /hɛˈmɪptərə/ or true bugs are an order of insects comprising some 50,000 to 80,000 species of groups such as the cicadas, aphids, planthoppers, leafhoppers, bed bugs and shield bugs. They range in size from 1 mm (0.04 in) to around 15 cm (6 in), and share a common arrangement of sucking mouthparts. The name "true bugs" is often limited to the suborder Heteroptera. Many insects commonly known as "bugs", especially in American English, belong to other orders; for example, the lovebug is a fly and the May bug and ladybug are beetles.

Wiki

A house round the corner from me, festooned with outside Christmas lights.

Six weeks before the day.

I'd make it an arrestable offence, the stupid words removed.

• Like 4

Shane Richie. 

He's come out and said he's skint and had to borrow money from friends to keep his head above water and that appearing in I'm A Celeb... is a lifesaver

This is a man who has been in showbiz for 30 years. Earned a six figure salary in Eastenders for about 15 years and commands over £100k for panto every year. Plus he even admitted years ago that Daz paid him a fortune for the adverts. He's had 6 months of little work due to covid and is now claiming poverty. No sympathy. Shouldn't have been so spendthrift in his life. 

What do people do with their money? I'd be set for life if I earned what he has. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Xela said:

Shane Richie. 

He's come out and said he's skint and had to borrow money from friends to keep his head above water and that appearing in I'm A Celeb... is a lifesaver

This is a man who has been in showbiz for 30 years. Earned a six figure salary in Eastenders for about 15 years and commands over £100k for panto every year. Plus he even admitted years ago that Daz paid him a fortune for the adverts. He's had 6 months of little work due to covid and is now claiming poverty. No sympathy. Shouldn't have been so spendthrift in his life. 

What do people do with their money? I'd be set for life if I earned what he has. 

Last year me, the wife and kids went for a weekend at a caravan park in Wales. When we arrived they told us that he’d be in filming some Great British holiday show. We watched the show and it was pretty much “even though I’m rich and famous this place isn’t that bad, even people like me can enjoy some aspects of it”. Now he’s skint, karma.
He was a bloody nightmare. EXACTLY how you imagine him to be, giving it the biggun and then 10x worse when the cameras were rolling. He has some teenager kids and a trophy wife who also thought they were the Kardashians.

As you’ve said, he must have burned through several million in his career so it’s hard to sympathise with his situation.

I probably won’t watch much of it but it would be interesting how he is with cameras 24/7. I bet he’s nowhere near as much of a fun, cheeky chappy after about 3 days of keeping up the act.

Edited by Genie

44 minutes ago, Xela said:

Shane Richie. 

Stupid people live like they'll always earn that much, and have no backup plan if their earnings are cut. I'm with you, On his Eastenders money alone I'd be set for life, every time I get a payrise the bulk of it, except for a bit of treat money, goes in to investments. I'm hoping to be mortgage free by 40  and able to be retired at 50 even on my modest salary. But I don't drive a flash car and live beyond my means.

The amount of people I see that work in junior roles, but drive this year's BMW or Audi while renting blows my mind.

He's not the worst though, imagine being one of these rocket polishers earning a PL footballer's wage for a decade, bankrupt by 40 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, Xela said:

Shane Richie. 

Is he claiming poverty or just saying that his like has led him to the point of not having anything?

Just because, at some point, you may have earned a decent amount of money or even a fat load of money, it doesn't mean you are indemnified against being poor or not having enough to feed yourself or whatever...

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Is he claiming poverty or just saying that his like has led him to the point of not having anything?

He said he’s recently had to borrow money from the bank and friends as he’s got nothing due to being out of work for 6 months.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Last year me, the wife and kids went for a weekend at a caravan park in Wales. When we arrived they told us that he’d be in filming some Great British holiday show. He was a bloody nightmare. EXACTLY how you imagine him to be, giving it the biggun and then 10x worse when the cameras were rolling. He has some teenager kids and a trophy wife who also thought they were the Kardashians.

As you’ve said, he must have burned through several million in his career so it’s hard to sympathise with his situation.

I probably won’t watch much of it but it would be interesting how he is with cameras 24/7. I bet he’s nowhere near as much of a fun, cheeky crappy after about 3 days of keeping up the act.

His wife is quite famous, she was in boobs in the wood with Jim Davidson

1B0FA1BE-B425-4C92-866A-06EB38E52892.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Last year me, the wife and kids went for a weekend at a caravan park in Wales. When we arrived they told us that he’d be in filming some Great British holiday show. We watched the show and it was pretty much “even though I’m rich and famous this place isn’t that bad, even people like me can enjoy some aspects of it”. Now he’s skint, karma.
He was a bloody nightmare. EXACTLY how you imagine him to be, giving it the biggun and then 10x worse when the cameras were rolling. He has some teenager kids and a trophy wife who also thought they were the Kardashians.

I probably won’t watch much of it but it would be interesting how he is with cameras 24/7. I bet he’s nowhere near as much of a fun, cheeky crappy after about 3 days of keeping up the act.

One of my school friends organised one of those pink charity fun run things and someone knew Shane Richie so arranged for him to come and start the race .... he stayed for about an hour chatting to people , having photos taken and what not ... appreciate it’s a small snippet of him but my only experience of him is positive 

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Stupid people live like they'll always earn that much, and have no backup plan if their earnings are cut. I'm with you, On his Eastenders money alone I'd be set for life, every time I get a payrise the bulk of it, except for a bit of treat money, goes in to investments. I'm hoping to be mortgage free by 40  and able to be retired at 50 even on my modest salary. But I don't drive a flash car and live beyond my means.

The amount of people I see that work in junior roles, but drive this year's BMW or Audi while renting blows my mind.

Most bizarre, how do you down as being a lot older

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

He said he’s recently had to borrow money from the bank and friends as he’s got nothing due to being out of work for 6 months.

Wants to get himself down to the local foodbank, for some pasta and tinned tomatoes. PARKLIFE.

As I was writing this, I realised he wasn't the Eastenders actor that was in Blur. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Haha 3

Â