Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Just now, GarethRDR said:

That's terrible, really shoddy stuff there.  Just to check, what are those tricks?

I’ll tell you one, when his boss is on holiday he puts it in his calendar that he is on holiday too but isn’t. So reducing  the chance of being dragged into stuff his boss would normally sort. He’s done it twice this year. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MCU said:

**** off with your fireworks scaring the animals. 

So you wanted Guy Fawkes to win eh, Not very good is it ? What’s your plans for the two minute doorstep silence, if any?? But you don’t even wear your poppy till November

30 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’ll tell you one, when his boss is on holiday he puts it in his calendar that he is on holiday too but isn’t. So reducing  the chance of being dragged into stuff his boss would normally sort. He’s done it twice this year. 

Must admit, our group diary always showed me as being 'in a meeting', and thus unavailable on Friday afternoons. 

Edited by mjmooney

30 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Must admit, our group diary always showed me as being 'in a meeting', and thus unavailable on Friday afternoons. 

Ah yes, the good old sales-department standing calendar appointment. "Client  meeting every Friday 1pm-5pm"

• Like 1

On 05/11/2020 at 21:14, bickster said:

Isn't that a completely incorrect use of the already bogus term staycation? isn't a staycation effectively STAYing at home during a holiday (vaCATION) but going on day trips out each day to places but returning to your own home at night.

You don't go on a staycation you have one

Have I got this completely wrong?

This is my understanding as well. And I hope you're right, because we used to use a reading text about staycations based on this meaning in advanced language classes, so if it's not right, I've misled about fifty European language learners over the last few years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This has inadvertently got me thinking. If they had succeeded in the plot, how would the occasion be acknowledged?

With a thanksgiving mass. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I love the detail of the gunpowder plot.

Digging and tunnelling for all that time. Only to pop up in the wrong place, which transpired to be a large empty room, which was for rent.

So having dug a tunnel, they then rented the room they’d reached within Westminster.

Like a corny old comedy.

(I’ve stayed in the hotel in Bromsgrove where a couple of them hid once the plot was rumbled)

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I love the detail of the gunpowder plot.

Digging and tunnelling for all that time. Only to pop up in the wrong place, which transpired to be a large empty room, which was for rent.

So having dug a tunnel, they then rented the room they’d reached within Westminster.

Like a corny old comedy.

(I’ve stayed in the hotel in Bromsgrove where a couple of them hid once the plot was rumbled)

Interesting that Fawkes has become the only name that most people know to do with the plot, when he was only one of the gang - the ex-military explosives expert who built the bomb and got caught in the raid. November 5th should really be called Catesby Night. The real dramatic stuff was the pursuit of the gang and the final shoot-out at Holbeche House - always amazes me that this isn't the main focus of the legend. At least the recent-ish TV film about it ('Gunpowder') was pretty good, and covered all this stuff.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Interesting that Fawkes has become the only name that most people know to do with the plot, when he was only one of the gang - the ex-military explosives expert who built the bomb and got caught in the raid. November 5th should really be called Catesby Night. The real dramatic stuff was the pursuit of the gang and the final shoot-out at Holbeche House - always amazes me that this isn't the main focus of the legend. At least the recent-ish TV film about it ('Gunpowder') was pretty good, and covered all this stuff.  

I remember making the comparison  before, for the gun powder plot and the great train robbery, people should be more familiar with the names Robert Catesby and Bruce Reynolds, but they’ve been upstaged massively by supporting cast of messrs Fawkes and Biggs respectively.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I remember making the comparison  before, for the gun powder plot and the great train robbery, people should be more familiar with the names Robert Catesby and Bruce Reynolds, but they’ve been upstaged massively by supporting cast of messrs Fawkes and Biggs respectively.

I believe @Xann of this very parish is on the slightest of nodding terms with Bruce Reynolds son.

Just to go off on a total tangent.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I believe @Xann of this very parish is on the slightest of nodding terms with Bruce Reynolds son.

It would be nice to get up to Archway to see him again, but I guess this year hasn't been great for making indie Westerns?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

The amount of adverts in YouTube. Multiplying like a wet gremlin over the last few months. I don't mind the odd advert but having one or two every couple of minutes on a video. GTFO. 

Do you want to sign in to YouTube?

No I sodding don't

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, bickster said:

Do you want to sign in to YouTube?

No I sodding don't

Are you still watching?

Yes I am, now piss off!

• Haha 1

The missus is having a mad pre-xmas tidy up / re-arrange

Her: "Do you still want this box of postcards?"

Me: "Thats a limited edition (250) set of art prints signed by the Artist (Will Sergeant)"

Her: "But do you still want it?"

Me: "Remember when you suggested I get rid of my vinyl and how you changed your mind?, well this is one of those times again"

Her: "So are we keeping it?"

:bang:

• Haha 4

Â