Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Isn't that a completely incorrect use of the already bogus term staycation? isn't a staycation effectively STAYing at home during a holiday (vaCATION) but going on day trips out each day to places but returning to your own home at night.

You don't go on a staycation you have one

Have I got this completely wrong?

• Like 3

I've had one email today and that was just an email to say thanks for a spreadsheet that took me 10 minutes to do yesterday, 0 phone calls, I had 3 emails yesterday and a 5 minute phone call

15 minutes worth of work in 2 days of home office, maybe 8 hours work in my 41 hour week

17 hours ago, bickster said:

Isn't that a completely incorrect use of the already bogus term staycation? isn't a staycation effectively STAYing at home during a holiday (vaCATION) but going on day trips out each day to places but returning to your own home at night.

You don't go on a staycation you have one

Have I got this completely wrong?

That's what I thought. aka:

Q. Where did you go on holiday?

A. Mygate.

• Like 1

I was talking to, not quite a friend, but someone I vaguely know and play games with, and he's absolutely fuming, because he quit his boring office job, and tried to open a bar. Less than a month ago. And they were meant to open this week. And he's shocked and angry at the government that they can't open.

Yeah well yeah well GIF - Find on GIFER

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I've had one email today and that was just an email to say thanks for a spreadsheet that took me 10 minutes to do yesterday, 0 phone calls, I had 3 emails yesterday and a 5 minute phone call

15 minutes worth of work in 2 days of home office, maybe 8 hours work in my 41 hour week

Aren't you bored senseless though? I've had a quiet day for my standards.. maybe 20 emails and a few calls. Day has dragged like hell. 

26 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I was talking to, not quite a friend, but someone I vaguely know and play games with, and he's absolutely fuming, because he quit his boring office job, and tried to open a bar. Less than a month ago. And they were meant to open this week. And he's shocked and angry at the government that they can't open.

I admire people who take the step of opening their own business but bloody hell, talk about the wrong time to do it! Now is not the time to leave a boring office job. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

I admire people who take the step of opening their own business but bloody hell, talk about the wrong time to do it! Now is not the time to leave a boring office job. 

Civil service pension too. It took every ounce of restraint I had to mute myself before laughing.

Just now, Xela said:

Aren't you bored senseless though? I've had a quiet day for my standards.. maybe 20 emails and a few calls. Day has dragged like hell. 

Its killing me! That's why it pisses me off

I've come from 10+ phone calls a day and 80 to 100 emails a day in the uk which was too much to the complete opposite end of the spectrum in Germany 

I have a couple of menial tasks that I know no one will look at, maybe a days worth of work but being so quiet and under no pressure at all means that I can't be bothered to do them, I have no motivation at all

Strange company in a foreign country doing things completely differently to what I'm used to

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Sounds like my place. We’ve all been wfh since March and the amount of work that gets done on a Friday is shocking. I average about 700 emails a day but on a Friday, I’d be surprised if it was over 20. Everyone knows that nobody is working on a Friday and nobody says anything. I love it as I use it to catch up on all the emails I’ve not read because I spend Monday to Thursday in wall-to-wall meetings. 

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

700 emails a day? How many do you actually do anything with?

In my world, 99% of emails are a waste of time, and I work 50+ hours a week dodging meetings and emails to actually get shit done.

Probably somewhere nearing half of that amount. I’m currently running at 10,000 unread emails in my inbox. I used to try and keep on top of them but I’ve learned to embrace the chaos now. Once a year I just delete anything over six months old. 

18 minutes ago, choffer said:

Probably somewhere nearing half of that amount. I’m currently running at 10,000 unread emails in my inbox. I used to try and keep on top of them but I’ve learned to embrace the chaos now. Once a year I just delete anything over six months old. 

That seems like you're in need of delegation, what is your role?

If your company can get by with everyone doing sweet FA 1 day a week, I'd wager most of those emails are superfluous. 

Edited by Davkaus

28 minutes ago, choffer said:

Shit the bed. I have 3 work email addresses and across the three inboxes have less than 30 and 4 are unread (as I have to action them). 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

That seems like you're in need of delegation, what is your role?

If your company can get by with everyone doing sweet FA 1 day a week, I'd wager most of those emails are superfluous. 

100% this. Culture of arse covering so everyone cc’s everyone just in case. 

I’m just about to restructure two of my teams. I inherited them and they’re not well organised so once that’s done I should be able to rely more on them and it’ll take the load off a bit. It’s also compounded by having 7 people furloughed in one of my teams. 

It’s a ridiculous job tbf. Ostensibly I’m responsible for IT across a bunch of sites. I look after infrastructure and systems but have also been made responsible for web, sysdev and most recently on-site facilities. 

I do love it though. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I’m currently running at 10,000 unread emails in my inbox.

ocd twitching GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

5 minutes ago, choffer said:

everyone cc’s everyone just in case

Auto mark as read > Trash

Talking of emails, my hatred of people who don't actually read the replies they are initially sent is growing. Today I had to send two of these replies to two different firms of solicitors

Hi,

I suggest you re-read my previous reply

Kind regards,

And earlier in the week I had to send a ...

Hi

I'm perfectly well aware of what the data sharing agreement you are refering to says, as I'm the author of the document. Your interpretation of the document is incorrect. You haven't read it.

Kind regards,

• Haha 3

My boss is **** useless. I could email or “chat message” his boss, or his boss’s boss (senior director) and get a quicker reply. My boss does all the tricks in the book to appear busy whilst hiding from his responsibilities. 

Â