Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

My bank (Lloyds) charges me £3 a month but then refunds it again. It’s obviously some kind of scam.

They also pay £100 if you switch your current account to them.

Edited by Genie

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's not about blinking, is it, unless I'm mistaken it'd require legislative change.

Banks can offer paid for accounts, most banks have some kind of extortionate packaged accounts, but the 9th biggest largest banks are required to offer free basic current accounts. Most people aren't currently on the basic ones, but I imagine if banks started charging for the standard accounts, a lot of people would just switch. 

I think that is the get out clause - they'll retain a very basic free account... perhaps with a cash card only and the ability to pay money in but there will be no overdraft / DD / contactless /online facilities on it. Any account above that, what most people have now, will be chargeable. 

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think that is the get out clause - they'll retain a very basic free account... perhaps with a cash card only and the ability to pay money in but there will be no overdraft / DD / contactless /online facilities on it. Any account above that, what most people have now, will be chargeable. 

As far as I know, they have to offer DD and online banking. No overdrafts though you're right.

Treading old ground but the couple of years I worked a shitty job at NatWest, some of the crap you'd see them try to pull on customers would make your head spin.  Greasy, weaselly used-car salesmen, the fecking lot of 'em.

18 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I’d never heard of him so I took a quick look at YouTube. I now recognise him as the man from the salty gif. One minute into a ‘best of’ video, it looks like he’s just some random idiot that **** about with meat. 
He’d probably be better off working in a butchers, but he’d be sacked within a week. Anyone that buys food from him and actually eats it, needs their head checking! 

I was in Mykonos in August and looked into going to his restaurant after seeing Tammy Abraham post on Instagram about it (yes I’m a grown man and yes that’s embarrassing)... side plate of chips is €30, cheapest steak €100! We didn’t go.

• Like 1

I’ve got a Halifax Ultimate Reward account, and they charge £15pm for the pleasure. I get benefits with it like phone insurance, holiday insurance, and other stuff that I’ve never really used.

I imagine there’s millions of people with these accounts that have never touched the benefits so the banks are making profit from these consistently. 

Another thing with banks is, never go direct to them for a mortgage. MMR killed the direct to customer mortgage market, always see an independent adviser, they’ll have more options and often better products. Or do the research yourself if you can be arsed. 

Friday the 13th 2020. Confirmed!

I have a flat tyre.

Im also having a new toilet installed. The handyman just came down and asked me to turn the water off as "something is wrong". 😬

If the house disappears into a sinkhole I'll let you know.

5 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Friday the 13th 2020. Confirmed!

I have a flat tyre.

Im also having a new toilet installed. The handyman just came down and asked me to turn the water off as "something is wrong". 😬

If the house disappears into a sinkhole I'll let you know.

I just had the house valued for a new mortgage deal, hopefully all is well with that 

13 hours ago, Genie said:

My bank (Lloyds) charges me £3 a month but then refunds it again. It’s obviously some kind of scam.

They also pay £100 if you switch your current account to them.

NatWest just paid me £4000 for moving my business account away from them to Yorkshire bank. It has something to do with the failed takeover of the business arm a few years ago where they’ve had to offer incentives to equal thing out. Nice 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Follyfoot said:

NatWest just paid me £4000 for moving my business account away from them to Yorkshire bank. It has something to do with the failed takeover of the business arm a few years ago where they’ve had to offer incentives to equal thing out. Nice 

Nice little Brucie bonus at this time of year always welcomed.

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

Nice little Brucie bonus at this time of year always welcomed.

It’s bonkers really but as you say could not come at a better time, especially as I have both the boys birthdays in the first two weeks of December as well 

6 hours ago, villan-scott said:

I’ve got a Halifax Ultimate Reward account, and they charge £15pm for the pleasure. I get benefits with it like phone insurance, holiday insurance, and other stuff that I’ve never really used.

I imagine there’s millions of people with these accounts that have never touched the benefits so the banks are making profit from these consistently. 

Another thing with banks is, never go direct to them for a mortgage. MMR killed the direct to customer mortgage market, always see an independent adviser, they’ll have more options and often better products. Or do the research yourself if you can be arsed. 

Those bloody vaccines are at it again! 

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Genie said:

Quite a few banks do this. Paid for accounts, but it's refunded if you pay in a certain about a month, usually about 1500. So if you don't have much money, you pay for what richer people get for free. It's expensive being poor.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's expensive being poor.

It really is. Just look at the cost of credit for those with poor credit ratings, it’s extortionate. Then you’ve got the likes of Brighthouse, preying on people’s consumerist desires, dangling 60inch TVs and Xbox Ones in front of them for just £9.99 a week (x 8 years). People know they’re being ripped off, but the world tells them they need these items, so they do it. 

Selling credit to poor people has got to be the easiest job there is. As long as you don’t have any morals. 

Edited by It's Your Round
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

It really is. Just look at the cost of credit for those with poor credit ratings, it’s extortionate. Then you’ve got the likes of Brighthouse, preying on people’s consumerist desires, dangling 60inch TVs and Xbox One’s in front of them for just £9.99 a week (x 8 years). People know they’re being ripped off, but the world tells team they need these items, so they do it. 

Selling credit to poor people has got to be the easiest job there is. As long as you don’t have any morals. 

I have limited sympathy for people who live beyond their means for frivolous reasons, though I admit that the system is rigged against them. What really angers me is examples like the absolute **** of pre-pay electric meters. An economic system should work for the people, not the other way around.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Haven't people been predicting we would need to pay to have a bank account for about 20 years?

What's different now?

Banks have started dropping the seed of the idea into the public domain

HSBC says it could charge for current accounts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54700837

The comments are amusing... all along the lines "Ive been banking with HSBC/Midland for 40/50/60 years and if they charge i'm closing my accounts". Free banking is a relatively new thing... started in 1984, by Midland Bank, coincidentally. 

Â