Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

12 hours ago, villan-scott said:

I’ve got a Halifax Ultimate Reward account, and they charge £15pm for the pleasure. I get benefits with it like phone insurance, holiday insurance, and other stuff that I’ve never really used.

I imagine there’s millions of people with these accounts that have never touched the benefits so the banks are making profit from these consistently. 

Can't you downgrade to a free account? Seems pointless if you don't really need it. 

In terms of people not touching the benefits, thats the thing with insurance. You pay for it on the odd chance you need it. If you lose your new phone, you get it replaced. If you get injured abroad, its a nice thing to have. When we were on holiday once, a pal of mine cut an artery in his hand. He had it stitched up in Cambodia and got medication and then further treatment in Indonesia followed by having the stitches removed. The travel insurance sorted it all. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 12:32, villa4europe said:

Salt bae

He pissed me off when he was a meme but now I see he's got a chain of restaurants (which get really bad reviews) 

The Man can't cook! He can throw knives around and slap huge pieces of steak on tables in a way that's actually off putting rather than appealing but he can't cook

The sort of place footballers, influencers and reality TV stars think is a good restaurant. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

Banks have started dropping the seed of the idea into the public domain

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54700837

The comments are amusing... all along the lines "Ive been banking with HSBC/Midland for 40/50/60 years and if they charge i'm closing my accounts". Free banking is a relatively new thing... started in 1984, by Midland Bank, coincidentally. 

The banks use the money from deposits to lend money to borrowers. They want paying for the priveledge of lending our money to someone else?

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

It really is. Just look at the cost of credit for those with poor credit ratings, it’s extortionate. Then you’ve got the likes of Brighthouse, preying on people’s consumerist desires, dangling 60inch TVs and Xbox Ones in front of them for just £9.99 a week (x 8 years). People know they’re being ripped off, but the world tells them they need these items, so they do it. 

Selling credit to poor people has got to be the easiest job there is. As long as you don’t have any morals. 

I agree in principle, but people do need to have a degree of self control and take responsibility for their spending. I don't have a 60 inch TV or an Xbox. You can pick up second hand TVs dead cheap, sometimes people give them away! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

The banks use the money from deposits to lend money to borrowers. They want paying for the priveledge of lending our money to someone else?

How much profits are banks making from people who have low/zero balances in their accounts? Absolutely none. I imagine they would be glad for these people to close their accounts. 

Just now, Xela said:

How much profits are banks making from people who have low/zero balances in their accounts? Absolutely none. I imagine they would be glad for these people to close their accounts. 

Investments can go up or down

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Investments can go up or down

The cost of administering a dormant account doesn't make it financially viable. Personal banking itself isn't that profitable once you strip out wealth/HNWI clients. 

You'll be ok though, you don't have an account do you? :) 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

The cost of tyres for the car :(

Worth it though. You don't want to scrimp on tyres. Otherwise you'll end up with some sub par Chinese ditchfinders. 

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Worth it though. You don't want to scrimp on tyres. Otherwise you'll end up with some sub par Chinese ditchfinders. 

I know I know. Shelled out a good 350 quid on the full set. Not sure how I've ground mine down that quickly 

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

The sort of place footballers, influencers and reality TV stars think is a good restaurant. 

If you go back to our winter break you'll find a post from me in this thread about Luiz eating a gold leaf coated steak in dubai and it being all over his insta 

How's that become a thing 

17 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

I know I know. Shelled out a good 350 quid on the full set. Not sure how I've ground mine down that quickly 

Fun fact, tyres in China have more stringent sign off criteria than any other market in the world. There are tests where they have to survive a plunger being driven into them that no other market requires.

I’m not sure if the tyres made in China for other markets are made to the same specification though.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

If you go back to our winter break you'll find a post from me in this thread about Luiz eating a gold leaf coated steak in dubai and it being all over his insta 

How's that become a thing 

E-175 received its EU food safety thingy back in the 70’s so it’s been around as a food for a while.

i ate a dessert with gold leaf in it (also in Dubai ) back in 2012 ... didn’t add anything to the taste , did add something to the bill though :)

On 13/11/2020 at 19:20, Xela said:

There are very few things I know about tyres but i do know you should not mix crossplies and radials

Edited by Follyfoot

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

There are very few things I know about tyres but i do know you should not mix crossplies and radials

Thanks Dad. 

Â