Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

To be fair I don't think there's been much offence there. The report I saw showed a few tweets which basically said "it's a bit weird that big tissues are still called mansize". 

I don't think there was much in the way of uproar or anything.

And Kleenex haven't been forced to change it. They've kinda just said "yeah, we don't think it's offensive but it is a bit weird, so we'll change it"

I think the story itself is a bit of a mountain out of a molehill rather than the issue.

• Like 2

On life’s learning curve, I’ve recently had a discussion about Yorkie being ‘not for girls’.
I know someone that as a little girl was offended by not being allowed to eat them. She was young enough to believe an advert literally, but old enough to be offended by it. It stuck in her head that there were sweets she wasn’t allowed to have because she was a girl and it briefly made her worry she’d be told off if she was caught eating the wrong thing.
Absolute comedy trivia in adult world. But something that stuck with that kid. That’s one tiny insignificant example of silly gender bias. But it builds up over ten adverts, over the naming of a car, over dozens of trivial things over years. It builds up to being a barrier to some people.
So personally, I’m not going to make it my life’s work. But yeah, right thing to do, not having man sized tissues. 
Plus, if you can’t get all your jizz in a standard tissue, you should be in the movies.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Kleenex having to stop using the term "man-size" to describe their extra large tissues because of the number of complaints received.

Who are you calling big nose?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Or Manchester be renamed ?

We used to have a game at work, renaming all the 'man' words. 

Best one was the band/musician Manfred Mann. First stage, Personfred Personn. But it still has 'son' in it, so that had to become the gender-neutral 'offspring'. And 'Fred' is male, so was changed to simply 'name'. 

Peroffspringnname Peroffspringn's Earth Band. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I'm the same.

Call me miserable, but if I go on holiday with my OH then I'm on holiday with my OH. I have no interest in making friends with other couples or anything like that :D 

FFU

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

To be fair I don't think there's been much offence there. The report I saw showed a few tweets which basically said "it's a bit weird that big tissues are still called mansize". 

I don't think there was much in the way of uproar or anything.

And Kleenex haven't been forced to change it. They've kinda just said "yeah, we don't think it's offensive but it is a bit weird, so we'll change it"

I think the story itself is a bit of a mountain out of a molehill rather than the issue.

the tweet i saw was from a woman telling kleenex that her 4 year old son had just asked her why the tissues were called mansize and in a modern society she didnt know how to explain it to him

of course he did sweet cheeks

the whole thing stinks of a kleenex marketing campaign to me

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

On life’s learning curve, I’ve recently had a discussion about Yorkie being ‘not for girls’.
I know someone that as a little girl was offended by not being allowed to eat them. She was young enough to believe an advert literally, but old enough to be offended by it. It stuck in her head that there were sweets she wasn’t allowed to have because she was a girl and it briefly made her worry she’d be told off if she was caught eating the wrong thing.
Absolute comedy trivia in adult world. But something that stuck with that kid. That’s one tiny insignificant example of silly gender bias. But it builds up over ten adverts, over the naming of a car, over dozens of trivial things over years. It builds up to being a barrier to some people.
So personally, I’m not going to make it my life’s work. But yeah, right thing to do, not having man sized tissues. 
Plus, if you can’t get all your jizz in a standard tissue, you should be in the movies.

I think people are missing the point about Yorkie's, and that is that it was/is amazing advertising. 

EVERYONE says the slogan when they say the word Yorkie. 

**** hell, I want one now. 

If you're stupid enough to not buy one because of an advert slogan, then that's funny.  BUUUUUUUT you could argue it's a slogan that has done wonders for those lil'ladies waistlines, keeping them all nice and lady-like, so they are more sexually attractive to m...

OH ****. 

Are Special K adverts, Diet Coke adverts and Muller Light adverts going to stop pandering to horny moms who like abs and white apple catchers? 

Are cleaning products that use the slogan ‘so easy a man could do it’ going to be banned?

Keira Knightly won’t let her daughter watch Snow White because the prince kisses her without consent. Y’know the fictional lady who would spend the rest of eternity unconscious like a vegetable? Ffs. World is mental. Even Wreck it Ralph is under fire because Ralph (a man) solves all of the racer girls (a woman) problems for her.

Can people just stop being offended by things that no one else gives a shit about?

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

Germans.

So rude. I haven't been on holiday in Europe for a number of years and I'd forgotten. We went to visit some caves today and we are all waiting until the tour starts and then they all push past us (wife is pregnant) just to get to the front. They had no problem banging you and bumping you when they want to get by, and acting like they aren't doing anything. No apologies just acting like they own the place and a far superior. I ended up trying to be as awkwardly in the way as possible rather than enjoying the caves. The blue collar lad in me wanted to start humming 2 World Wars....

They display the worst kind of entitlement.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

1953 called asking for their angry privileged white men back...

Not really angry. I just find it funny that one side is ok and the others are fine? It’s kind of double standards isn’t it? Non condescending answer if thats possible Chris.

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

All forms of minority have had it against them for ever. Literally, forever.

Women have had restricted little lives for thousands of years because of social mores that say they can't do stuff, they can't even own stuff. Hell, legally they basically were just stuff.

Just in the last hundred years or so, men have felt the world was fine as it was with women not voting. Men believed the world was just fine when women weren't allowed to work. When they weren't allowed to play football. Men believed the world was fine as it was when women weren't entitled to fair pay. Men have thought women are just for looking at tits. Women have had to stay sober and cover their skin because if they didn't do that and got raped, well, that's their fault.

Girls can do knitting and cooking. Except when we want schoolgirl slut strippers. Women lost their property once they married. 

Thousands of years of that shit were not reset with some equality legislation. Girls are still expected to be pure and pretty and quiet and thankful and feminine.

Now take all that shit, and apply it to ethnic minorities, to gays, to the disabled, the poor, the poorly educated, to anyone that is othered by those in power. Those in power being male. Not 100% male, I'm sure we can all think of one female boss that wasn't nice.

A little bit of that balance is being redressed in very recent times. It's less socially acceptable now to smack your wife about. It's less easy to grope up the females at the office party. Getting pregnant by a rapist is unlikely to get you committed to the asylum. These are positive recent steps.

If 'silly man' adverts genuinely undermine you and your confidence, report it. if pictures of a buff bloke in white enderpants make you feel uneasy and make the women in work think they can cop a cheeky feel up, report it.

Do not expect perfection from all females because men have been told to be less shitty. Man up, or inform women on why they need to change. Personally, I think we've had the upper hand for long enough to be able to stomach 30 or so years of quite a gentle push back.

Hopefully you've seen nothing condescending in that. 

As a working class white male from a poor upbringing I’ve been discriminated against and feel a little aggrieved when the ‘controlling big evil white man’ card gets played. I’ve had **** all handed to me all my life, had to work hard to get my £20k a year job. 

It’s rich, influential white men that need demonising not all those who happen to be white and male. There is a generation of young boys growing up out there who are being taught they are evil, demonising and sexist pigs. It’s no better than what the generations of women before had to put up with. Surely eliminating all forms of discrimination is better for society than getting even against those that had no hand in prior discrimination?

Edited by Ingram85

If you stand on each side of the fence and listen to the inane chatter, you can’t help but observe how batshit crazy this all is on both sides. 

Don’t worry if they’re mansize, it’s just a box of tissues. Don’t worry that they’re no longer called mansize, it’s just a box of tissues.

I doubt Yorkie bars not being for girls had a lasting impact on anyone’s mental being, worldview or lifetime prospects. Or maybe it did. I might call my sister and ask whether her path to medical school was almost ruined by a chocolate bar. 

I dunno. Maybe I’m just being too blasé with something that seems pretty trivial. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Like 2

Just now, Ingram85 said:

As a working class white male from a poor upbringing I’ve been discriminated against and feel a little aggrieved when the ‘controlling big evil white man’ card gets played. I’ve had **** all handed to me all my life, had to work hard to get my £20k a year job. 

It’s rich, influential white men that need demonising not all those who happen to be white and male. There is a generation of young boys growing up out there who are being taught they are evil, demonising and sexist pigs. It’s no better than what the generations of women before had to put up with. Surely eliminating all forms of discrimination is better for society than getting even?

If you think the current treatment of boys compares with the historic treatment of women, we've probably finished this conversation.

I'm not saying it's right, or perfect. I'm just quite relaxed about a few short years getting the balance right.

Just now, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

If you stand on each side of the face and listen to the inane chatter, you can’t help but observe how batshit crazy this all is on both sides. 

Don’t worry if they’re mansize, it’s just a box of tissues. Don’t worry that they’re no longer called mansize, it’s just a box of tissues.

I doubt Yorkie bars not being for girls had a lasting impact on anyone’s mental being, worldview or lifetime prospects. Or maybe it did. I might call my sister and ask whether her path to medical school was almost ruined by a chocolate bar. 

I dunno. Maybe I’m just being too blasé with something that seems pretty trivial. 

It is petty. I don't believe anyone is claiming Yorkie adverts have oppressed the world's females. 

I'm sure you'd agree though, the world is probably better now your sister is allowed an education, allowed to keep her own property, to vote, equal pay, and a bit less groping. If the balance isn't quite perfect yet, and some people worry about manhole covers, I can live with that.

• Like 2

Working class white male in the 21st Century, on the scale of discrimination throughout history, is still quite near the top of the 'have it real good' end.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

There is a generation of young boys growing up out there who are being taught they are evil, demonising and sexist pigs. 

I genuinely don't think that there's anybody out there calling 'young boys' 'evil, demonising and sexist pigs'. I think most people are intelligent enough to realise that small children are not actually evil. What there is, is a generation of young boys growing up in a world in which adults who have done very bad things like groping women and masturbating down the phone at them are called 'evil', and in which those young kids are being taught that this sort of behaviour is not right, which, quite frankly, it isn't. So it's better, all told, for them to grow up knowing that. 

21 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

It’s no better than what the generations of women before had to put up with. 

That just isn't actually true, is it. Just to take one glaring example, rape within a marriage only became legally recognised as a crime in 1989 in England and Wales. 

28 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Surely eliminating all forms of discrimination is better for society than getting even against those that had no hand in prior discrimination?

If you've been discriminated against, I'm genuinely sorry to hear it. Please feel free to share the story. But women also feel they're being discriminated against, so let them also share their stories, and if you think being discriminated against sucks, then you should understand why they aren't happy either. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Working class white male in the 21st Century, on the scale of discrimination throughout history, is still quite near the top of the 'have it real good' end.

Yes of course on the scale throughout **** history but im not comparing it to the scale of **** history am I, I’m comparing it against other 21st century people. Prof Green did a really good documentary on this issue not too long ago.

My opinion is that one form of discrimination does not justify another especially when those being discriminated against were not party to the aforementioned history of abuse.

Anyway I’m done. A debate where my opinions are just being boiled down to the simple ‘silly angry white man’ clearly shows a discussion isn’t to be had. I’m not belittling the genuine issue of discrimination towards women, I understand it and am glad attitudes are changing for the better and it’s a fight that needs to be won. My posts are about a separate issue which is the current demonisation of what feels like all white men. 

Ill leave it and let you all carry on.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It is petty. I don't believe anyone is claiming Yorkie adverts have oppressed the world's females. 

I'm sure you'd agree though, the world is probably better now your sister is allowed an education, allowed to keep her own property, to vote, equal pay, and a bit less groping. If the balance isn't quite perfect yet, and some people worry about manhole covers, I can live with that.

Well indeed. 

Â