Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

Sky news coverage of incident at Westminster this morning. Some of their 'eye witnesses' that can't even get the colour of the car right. Journo saying police have stated 'no life threatening injuries' which suggested to him that people have been injured. Cracking journalism all round

Speaking of flats, something that pisses me off is my flat's proximity to a main road.

I love my flat, and the area I live in. But I'm right next to a main road. The flats are technically on a side road (which is a lovely quiet road) but we're the first building, so our flat looks out onto the main road. There's trees to block the view, so it looks fine, but they can't block the noise.

It's one of those things you adjust to, but it's not until you spend a night or two away in a quiet area (I've just spent the weekend in rural Ireland), and then come back that you realise how noisy it is.

And it definitely effects my sleep. I have an app that analyses my sleep and gives you a percentage of sleep quality. My average in the UK is in the high 60's. If I get 75% or above I consider it a good night's sleep. During my 2 weeks in Bali, I was 95-100% every night except one (the one when I had to get up early to catch a flight) 
During my weekend in Ireland just gone, 100% all three nights.

If I bought a flat in my block, the first thing I'd do is triple glaze it.

It's getting to the point where we're considering moving purely because of road noise.

Fun morning so far.

Project Manager chasing me to do something that is not, nor has it ever been, my responsibility.

Customer refusing to even answer my employee when she asks her 'How are you?'

Replastering a room. I didn't even do the plastering. Yesterday I went over it with filler touching up the little problems that just seen to happen when you plaster (cracks as it dries, small dints and dings), which sucked. Today I sanded it back.

The dust. The **** dust. Door shut window open respirator on, within a minute I'm walking through a miniature rendition of the Mist localised in a bedroom. Horrendous.

11 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Replastering a room. I didn't even do the plastering. Yesterday I went over it with filler touching up the little problems that just seen to happen when you plaster (cracks as it dries, small dints and dings), which sucked. Today I sanded it back.

The dust. The **** dust. Door shut window open respirator on, within a minute I'm walking through a miniature rendition of the Mist localised in a bedroom. Horrendous.

That's one room :lol: 

Imagine that being your career. 

What pisses me off (but shouldn't) is people asking for advice in a general thread, getting good answers and those answers being lost in thousands of pages and not available to anyone to find in the future.

I guess it's my job to fix it.

On 11/08/2018 at 07:38, mjmooney said:

This hangover. 

Yup. Went on a 'Leo Sayer' on Saturday and only just recovered. Uggghhh. 

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yup. Went on a 'Leo Sayer' on Saturday and only just recovered. Uggghhh. 

Turned out mine wasn't (only) a hangover, it's a virus. I've since been hit with vomiting, high temperature and sore throat on top of the splitting headache. I think the cumulative effect of sleepless nights and powering through until the wedding was over lowered my resistance. I actually pulled a sickie from the childcare today, the first time I've done it since we started nearly three years ago. Starting to come round a bit now, but it's been shite. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Speaking of flats, something that pisses me off is my flat's proximity to a main road.

I love my flat, and the area I live in. But I'm right next to a main road. The flats are technically on a side road (which is a lovely quiet road) but we're the first building, so our flat looks out onto the main road. There's trees to block the view, so it looks fine, but they can't block the noise.

It's one of those things you adjust to, but it's not until you spend a night or two away in a quiet area (I've just spent the weekend in rural Ireland), and then come back that you realise how noisy it is.

And it definitely effects my sleep. I have an app that analyses my sleep and gives you a percentage of sleep quality. My average in the UK is in the high 60's. If I get 75% or above I consider it a good night's sleep. During my 2 weeks in Bali, I was 95-100% every night except one (the one when I had to get up early to catch a flight) 

It's getting to the point where we're considering moving purely because of road noise.

Dig some potholes!

You should see how mad it is over here. The amount of crappy housing and apartments build right up against every single freeway, no wonder drugs and guns are so loved.

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Use soft earplugs (I recommend the shaped/tapered ear plugs, not the straight cylindrical). I live in a nice quiet Close but there are plenty of online deliveries and lawn mowing going on when I’m trying to sleep during the day and I’m sleeping having worked overnight. As I get in to bed I simply roll up the plugs and insert one in each ear for almost complete silence. I’ve got so used to the relative serenity I tend to use ear plugs even on the nights I’m not working. They’re cheap too!

12 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I feel your pain. 4.5 miles from Heathrow, directly under the flight path. 

Having said that, I can’t afford to move anywhere quieter just now so I just tune it out (and watch tv with the subtitles on). 

Apologies for on topic in off, but:

Sort of steered clear of VT tonight because of the disjointed cup performance of the 1st team. But later I logged on to see that the RHM thread was top of the page. Thought nice, oh wait...... are they all going to be writing him off and slagging him off.......... 

I only made it to about 5 posts. :bang:

Edited by TheAuthority

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Turned out mine wasn't (only) a hangover, it's a virus. I've since been hit with vomiting, high temperature and sore throat on top of the splitting headache. I think the cumulative effect of sleepless nights and powering through until the wedding was over lowered my resistance. I actually pulled a sickie from the childcare today, the first time I've done it since we started nearly three years ago. Starting to come round a bit now, but it's been shite. 

Scratch that "starting to come round". It's now morphed into a streaming head cold and the mother of all phlegmy coughs. FFS. 

21 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Scratch that "starting to come round". It's now morphed into a streaming head cold and the mother of all phlegmy coughs. FFS. 

Hope you feel better soon :thumb:

Manflu is a real bitch.

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

Apologies for on topic in off, but:

Sort of steered clear of VT tonight because of the disjointed cup performance of the 1st team. But later I logged on to see that the RHM thread was top of the page. Thought nice, oh wait...... are they all going to be writing him off and slagging him off.......... 

I only made it to about 5 posts. :bang:

I only suspected we were playing because OT was quiet :mrgreen:

Â