Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

People who try to take everything away on holiday with them make me laugh. As if people in Spain/Greece don't use or require the same amenities we do.

My mums boyfriend recently got stopped because something didn't look right on the scan of his bag and it turns out there was a 2lb bag of sugar in there.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

People who try to take everything away on holiday with them make me laugh. As if people in Spain/Greece don't use or require the same amenities we do.

My mums boyfriend recently got stopped because something didn't look right on the scan of his bag and it turns out there was a 2lb bag of sugar in there.

Some years ago, my aged Irish auntie and her best mate (think Mrs. Doyle) went on a coach trip to Lourdes. They packed three days' worth of sandwiches, so they wouldn't have to eat any foreign food. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm in Turin with work.

Went out for dinner on Monday night with a female colleague who is vegan. As such, our choice of restaurant was limited. Also she'd already been here for a week so was getting tired of rice and pasta.

So we ended up going to some weird american burger joint. Like a hard rock cafe knock off.

Anyway, they had loads of different burgers, all named after rock stars. No biggy. But turns out they were super protective of their recipes. 
I don't like onions, so asked for a certain burger and then asked for no onions. They just said no. Said it would ruin the taste of the burger. Bit weird.
So I had to order a different burger.

My colleague orders, tells them she's Vegan, which they cater for, so they swap the meat in her burger for some veggie bean burger equivalent. But then they said "oh but the pesto we use on that burger has cheese in it so isn't vegan"

"Well can I have it without the pesto?"

"No, sorry. It's too important to the taste, you'll have to order something else."

:blink:

What made it even more annoying, was on the back of the menu they had a "build your own burger" section, with all the ingredients anyway. So all my colleague did was build the exact same burger, just leaving out the pesto. And they were fine with that :D 

Oh and the burgers were shit. I was expecting some amazing gourmet burgers given the fuss. 

Really weird.

29 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The Italians are generally very protective over their food/ drink from experience. I once had an incident in Rome where a barmaid refused to serve me a drink that I ordered, despite them stocking it, because she believed the drink didn't go with the music being played (was some sort of Jazz night) LOL

Yeah I get that, and if it was an Italian pasta dish that we were ordering I would have gotten it. Still stupid, but if I was taking prawns out of a seafood linguini at least it make some iota of sense.

But taking onions off a burger is a whole other level :D 

(although not as bad as the drink/jazz story!)

57 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The Italians are generally very protective over their food/ drink from experience. 

Apparently, what we call spaghetti bolognese is NEVER eaten in Bologna. When my daughter and her mate were there a couple of years ago they kept trying to order it, meeting point-blank refusals. 

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The Italians are generally very protective over their food/ drink from experience. I once had an incident in Rome where a barmaid refused to serve me a drink that I ordered, despite them stocking it, because she believed the drink didn't go with the music being played (was some sort of Jazz night) LOL

That's pretentious in the extreme. 

I get that maintaining the integrity of traditional food/drink is important. I somewhat agree with it. But I'm sometimes astounded at the arrogance of the French and Italians in regards to their food. 

Like any cuisine, it can be amazing. But there's a whole world out there and many of them can't accept that mamas rustic cooking isn't the dream meal for everyone. 

Sorta like, "well if you don't like it, you're wrong."

I listened to a podcast years ago that had a section where one of the hosts talked about a holiday to Italy where they'd gone out of their way to try to experience the 'real' culture there, going to small out of the way restaurants and whatnot, and their main takeaway from the trip was that what everyone thinks is Italian food in the US and UK isn't really what Italian food is like. Even the stuff that is superficially the same is actually quite different.

Of course this could be highbrow cultural snobbery. 'Oh you've not eaten Italian until you've found a family run home in the wall down a back alley in Naples. The garbage we make here barely qualifies as pasta' etc.

• Like 1

Just to add the food I usually have here is normally excellent, and I've not encountered any arrogance over the food before. And usually we do go to proper Italian places as I tend to ask the Italian staff here where to go rather than any touristy or mainstream places.

This place is the exception.

fwiw, when in Paris a few years ago we went in to a restaurant and in our awful broken French, between us we asked what we could have for 30 euros and what was the cheapest wine that would go with it. French restaurant bloke took the piss out of our French speaking ability, went off and created a stunning meal and sold us a full bottle of something and 'accidentally' charged us for a half bottle. Then pulled up a chair and basically joined us!

Then a british family came in, and in loudly over pronounced english basically asked if they'd do chips or pizza for the kids.

He literally physically turned them around and pushed them out of the door, saying 'no, no, no...'

Moody bunch, your continentals.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

fwiw, when in Paris a few years ago we went in to a restaurant and in our awful broken French, between us we asked what we could have for 30 euros and what was the cheapest wine that would go with it. French restaurant bloke took the piss out of our French speaking ability, went off and created a stunning meal and sold us a full bottle of something and 'accidentally' charged us for a half bottle. Then pulled up a chair and basically joined us!

Then a british family came in, and in loudly over pronounced english basically asked if they'd do chips or pizza for the kids.

He literally physically turned them around and pushed them out of the door, saying 'no, no, no...'

Moody bunch, your continentals.

yeah , I usually find when you go abroad you get back what you put into it  , I used to try a little of the language and found I still sounded like a Brit trying to sound like Steve McClaren so to a degree I've given up now but other than scanning to make sure it contains no muck ( i.e salad or fruit) I tend to go native and not order sausages and chips  once I'm outside of Albion

If I'm on one of my trips and have a tour then we always invite the guide \ driver to eat with us ..it's useful as they can tell you what's traditional / local  and also as they tend to put out a bit and give you a decent tour instead of just plodding through the motions 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm in Turin with work.

Went out for dinner on Monday night with a female colleague who is vegan.. 

Problem found ;)

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Just in case @Xela forgets to post something like this :D

0752bbb71e72820e8adcb986d50841cd.jpg

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Italian is probably my least favourite food in the world

Possibly my favourite. Proper Italian though, not the UK pizza/pasta clichés. 

You all know what my least favourite is. 

The following phrases in emails:

“Please urgently advise”

Oh! This is urgent, you say!? Well I won’t be treating it with any sort of urgency now you’ve asked me to “urgently advise”. In fact I’ll probably be deleting your email completely as a matter of URGENCY.

”Any news?”

Yes, lots of news - Trump is getting lively with the Russians and Zuckerberg is trying to defend the harvesting of everyone’s private data. Oh, sorry - you mean “any news” related to the email you’ve sent? No, no news on that since you’ve asked me if there’s “any news” you absolute word removed. 

• Like 3

Â