Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

9 hours ago, Tegis said:

Yep, a few more years and I can take the missus traveling before we turn 50, LOADS more money than I had in my 20s. Win I say.

It's great and my favourite stage of my life so far. My oldest was 20 last week and my youngest is 18 in 2 weeks. They are both quite mature for their ages and have had partners for the last couple of years so they've never felt the need to stage house parties in our absence. The most they've had is 4 friends in for drinks where they Skype'd us a couple of times to show us the fun they were having and we returned to a cleaner house than when we left. For the last decade our financial situation has improved significantly so my wife and I have travelled well - every year we've managed one or two family holidays plus a couple of city breaks for me and the missus. Having well behaved kids meant that we were fortunate to have family who were happy to move into our house for a few days and look after them. 5 months ago we left them home alone for almost 3 weeks whilst we toured South East Asia. Next month's holiday to Greece is with my kids and their partners which will bring a different dimension. S'all good man.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It's came as a nasty shock and we are both annoyed with ourselves. Obviously weren't being careful enough. Yet again it's happened whilst my wife is in the process of getting sterilised. I don't think there is much to think about really as we just can't have anymore, or shall I say I don't think we can.

You said exactly the same thing when you posted here about your wife being pregnant with your 3rd.

Just be more careful man. 

• Like 1

Warning,  might make you wince a bit.....

Usually I expect life to go up and down,  just not within 2 hours.

Daughter (31) takes my granddaughter (4) and her mate from next door to go play football.

Ball goes over fence (6ft) so she stops the kids from going over the fence and she climbs over,  gets ball throws back and climbs over fence,  slips and instantly loses her ring finger,  completely.  Its on the top of the fence.  She goes up and gets it and wraps her hand / finger in a scarf type thing.  Tells the kids she has took a nail off.  

Walks 800 m to home.  Put in Ice etc...goes to hospital,  operation. Can't save it.

Meanwhile I am at the hospital now sorting my granddaughter out and taking her home with me.

(I am a bit panicky because I have a real fear of hand injuries (Think train door New Street early 80's and thumbs and ambulances on Platform 9 and stuff)) + It would be unfortunate if it was her right hand(It is) and it would be super unlucky if she was a hairdresser (she is).

Her boyfriend has never worked and he is 34,  still not looking for a job though.

At home now,  granddaughter in bed.

Phone goes,  other daughter in Australia informs me I am going to be a Granddad again.

I don't cry much but I did on this day.  

(Note,  I did not know or even think about this but there was a huge dance event by me last weekend and they (the hospital close to said event) had 3 people do the same thing on the same night last weekend within about 3 hours of each other,  trying to get into the events by jumping the fence and all losing fingers.  If it goes like this they can never put it back as it a stretch then snap so the tendons and stuff are F******)

• Sad 1

That happened to a lad when I was at school. Ball over fence (it's a massive **** of a fence though), he climbs over, ring gets caught and falls from the top, ripping the finger off in the process. The legend remains to this day that the finger in question was still wriggling after it hit ground.

• Like 1

Yep, same thing happened to a friend of a friend. I was shown the pictures, it was horrendous. (I'll post it if anyone is interested... In spoilers of course)

Jumped a fence to retrieve a ball. Got his wedding ring caught and it swiftly removed his finger.

The problem is, when that happens, it doesn't slice your finger off. It basically pulls it off your hand. And you're left with a mess. That's why they struggle to save it

Anyway, sorry to hear about it. Hope she makes as full a recovery as she can! And congrats on the news from the other daughter.

• Like 1

Happened to my grandmother. She got up to go to the loo in the middle of the night, and then fell on her return and got the ring caught on the bedroom door. It didn't pull it off quickly; she was slumped on the door, with her whole body hanging from the finger, for about 4 or 5 hours. It accelerated her dementia no end. Apparently it happens most frequently with Sunday league goalkeepers, who get them caught as they jump up to hang the nets from the crossbar, or so I was told anyway. 

You have my sympathy @Amsterdam_Neil_D, it's an awful situation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Happened to my grandmother. She got up to go to the loo in the middle of the night, and then fell on her return and got the ring caught on the bedroom door. It didn't pull it off quickly; she was slumped on the door, with her whole body hanging from the finger, for about 4 or 5 hours. It accelerated her dementia no end. Apparently it happens most frequently with Sunday league goalkeepers, who get them caught as they jump up to hang the nets from the crossbar, or so I was told anyway. 

You have my sympathy @Amsterdam_Neil_D, it's an awful situation. 

Happened to a friend from my school days, but I think it was just the 1st two parts of the finger.. if that makes sense.  Didn't seem to make much of a difference to him :) 

• Like 1

My Grandad worked in factories using his hands his whole life (metalwork). Lost a finger getting it trapped in a wooden deckchair after it snapped shut while on holiday in Rhyl. 

• Sad 1

On 8/28/2017 at 23:16, PompeyVillan said:

The "Watches" and "Car" threads. 

To me, both functional pieces of technology , it perplexes me that folk would choose to spend such a large proportion of their hard earned money on stuff that impacts their quality of life minimally. 

So add to that my own hypocrisy as I consider spending a shed load of money on an electric guitar. Yeah...but I want it. 

I get what you are saying but with the right purchase, you can enjoy it and also make money on it.

A mate of mine purchased his first Rolex when he got his Credit Suisse contract about ten years ago. Cost him about £3.5k. He's worn it fairly regularly and recently sold it for £4.5k and put that towards a £15k one. 

Same as cars... a classic late 80's Porsche 911 that would have cost £30k ten years ago on Autotrader is probably worth £60k-£70k now, due to the ever increasing rarity of it and lack of clean examples. 

Forget ISAs and bonds... cars and watches are better!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

I get what you are saying but with the right purchase, you can enjoy it and also make money on it.

A mate of mine purchased his first Rolex when he got his Credit Suisse contract about ten years ago. Cost him about £3.5k. He's worn it fairly regularly and recently sold it for £4.5k and put that towards a £15k one. 

Same as cars... a classic late 80's Porsche 911 that would have cost £30k ten years ago on Autotrader is probably worth £60k-£70k now, due to the ever increasing rarity of it and lack of clean examples. 

Forget ISAs and bonds... cars and watches are better!

Fairly recently I believe there was an article that stated Lego was a better investment than gold.

I haven't wore my wedding ring for about 10 years after losing weight and it getting too loose. The wife has a little moan now and again that I'm not bothered about getting it resized but sounds like I've got a good excuse now.

Â