Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

1) The sheer amount of hate that seems to radiate between people on trains in the morning. Chill out - we're all in the same boat (figuratively). We're all squeezed in and none of us want to be going to work. Let's not make it any more unpleasant for each other than it needs to be. 

2) People who, when you don't respond to a text or Whatsapp immediately, send follow-ups like '???', 'So?' etc. Dicks. We're not all surgically attached to our phones and are sometimes busy with real life. It's usually women in my experience.

I work full time plus 2 weeks on call a month. Usually its fairly quiet.

last night - midnight - 9:30am non stop then I'm heading into start my normal job for 10:30, probably for another 6/7 hours.

compensated for it nicely but that doesn't affect my health

The fact that everybody abbreviates "Santa Claus" to "Santa", rather than "Claus". He's supposed to be Saint Nicholas. It's like saying "The patron saint of England is...'Saint'". 

16 hours ago, bickster said:

it's a 33% rise on minimum wage.

To be honest, it's about where the minimum wage should be. 

The problem here is that they are paid hourly. There's lots of us (including me) who are paid fixed monthly with no hourly remuneration. If I calculate my wage in hours in months where my workload is a bit crazy the pay can sometimes even hover below £10, so to see someone who's job it is to press a button on a milkshake machine wanting £10 will hurt a lot of NHS workers and a lot of people on fixed monthy rates.

Rather than overhauling McDonalds we need someone to push the minimum wage up and make sure that this also helps people who are on fixed monthly payment. It's a shady area to see how much some people work when they are on monthly salaries rather than hourly, and ideally it needs to be looked at too.

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

The problem here is that they are paid hourly. There's lots of us (including me) who are paid fixed monthly with no hourly remuneration. If I calculate my wage in hours in months where my workload is a bit crazy the pay can sometimes even hover below £10, so to see someone who's job it is to press a button on a milkshake machine wanting £10 will hurt a lot of NHS workers and a lot of people on fixed monthy rates.

Rather than overhauling McDonalds we need someone to push the minimum wage up and make sure that this also helps people who are on fixed monthly payment. It's a shady area to see how much some people work when they are on monthly salaries rather than hourly, and ideally it needs to be looked at too.

If you're salaried and earn less than £10/hr on average then I'd find a new job

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bickster said:

If you're salaried and earn less than £10/hr on average then I'd find a new job

I'm not saying that's the norm. I'm saying that if I take my salary in for example May where I work a lot of (overtime) hours and divide it by the hours worked it dips below £10. In other months it's probably closer to double or triple that. I spent some time in Germany in my youth and they had a total ban on more than 20 hours of overtime a month, with those rules I think my employer would be in trouble to say the least..

But I also guess it adds flexibility to the employer, though it's an easy loophole to get through work laws as most monthly salaried people don't log hours. I'm not all that informed on the rules on this.

4 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

£10 an hour just for maccies? That's what I get paid at the NHS??!!!! 

What's your point here?

That you believe supporting a living wage for these people will ultimately also improve your own position?

Or that we need to preserve their low pay so other low pay looks relatively better?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Exactly.  My argument if people counter with "but I only get ..." is to always fight your own fight, but don't begrudge others for fighting theirs.  Just because someone isn't getting enough doesn't mean it's acceptable that others just make do as well.  That's just a general point and not specific to this case.

It happens all the time in pay disputes.  But [insert non-related job] gets X.  Completely irrelevant.

I know from experience that there are people out there that would work for less, if they knew others were on even less. It's weird.

I currently work with one particular cretin, who would happily work for £20k if he thought the others were on £19k. But would go nuts if he was offered £22k and others offered £23k.

Its a bit of both tbh, my honest opinion is that someone working in McDonalds shouldn't get the same as someone working as clinical staff within the NHS. But also that if they do end up getting £10 an hour then the NHS should be increased to £12+. Fair play to them for sticking up for themselves and yes the NHS should pay better but maccies front line staff should not get the same as a top increment band 3 NHS employee IMO. 

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I know from experience that there are people out there that would work for less, if they knew others were on even less. It's weird.

I currently work with one particular cretin, who would happily work for £20k if he thought the others were on £19k. But would go nuts if he was offered £22k and others offered £23k.

This is EXACTLY how footballers' salaries have got like they are. None of them deserve, need, or even want £100,000+ per week - but if some other player gets it, then they feel they have to have more. Crazy. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Its a bit of both tbh, my honest opinion is that someone working in McDonalds shouldn't get the same as someone working as clinical staff within the NHS. But also that if they do end up getting £10 an hour then the NHS should be increased to £12+. Fair play to them for sticking up for themselves and yes the NHS should pay better but maccies front line staff should not get the same as a top increment band 3 NHS employee IMO. 

I need Mcburgers more than I need the NHS.  I value the flippers more than you :P 

McStaff should earn more! 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Its a bit of both tbh, my honest opinion is that someone working in McDonalds shouldn't get the same as someone working as clinical staff within the NHS. 

I understand the sentiment and in broad terms I think most would agree with the sentiment. But you just can't rank every single job in merit order, that way lies madness.

Direct comparison of a KFC employee with an admin officer in local government? Is a brummy bin man worth more or less than a call centre monkey? Should playing football for a mid table Championship side earn you more than an air ambulance maintenance engineer?

Mid ranking merchant navy docking pilot on the Thames, would that me more or less than a nursing lecturer?

Can't be done.

If a job looks offensively easy for comparable bucks, go get that job. (general comment, not a jibe!)

2 hours ago, magnkarl said:

so to see someone who's job it is to press a button on a milkshake machine wanting £10 will hurt a lot of NHS workers and a lot of people on fixed monthy rates.

No, I don't think it will. I don't think a person in a "restaurant" wanting an increase in pay hurts the NHS workers at all. It seems to me completely unrealted, other than if they McWorkers get a better deal, then there's further pressure on the Gov't to stop being nasty to NHS folk.

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

No, I don't think it will. I don't think a person in a "restaurant" wanting an increase in pay hurts the NHS workers at all. It seems to me completely unrealted, other than if they McWorkers get a better deal, then there's further pressure on the Gov't to stop being nasty to NHS folk.

I think we can all agree that the minimum wage needs to go up, as well as remuneration for a whole set of mainly public sector jobs in our country. I just didn't see McDonalds as a place where the pressure would build. The local McDonalds near me seems to hire only students and people working there for short stints so in comparison to for example a nurse or a doctor the argument to keep the wages a bit lower for someone working at a McDonalds than someone keeping our ageing population healthy is certainly there.

Give the lower end workers at least £10 per hour, but make sure that nurses get paid what they deserve too. Because as it stands now a nurse is on less than £10.

Edited by magnkarl

47 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

That's right. I'd phrase it differently though. Instead of "NHS should pay better but maccies front line staff should not get the same as a top increment band 3 NHS employee IMO. " I'd phrase it "£10 an hour for maccies front like staff, which is fair, is yet another comparison showing that NHS staff are woefully underpaid".

As others have said, looking up is better than looking down. I know your argument is essentially the same, but the way it's expressed (as others have also said) matters enormously to the overall argument. Look up, not down.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, blandy said:

That's right. I'd phrase it differently though. Instead of "NHS should pay better but maccies front line staff should not get the same as a top increment band 3 NHS employee IMO. " I'd phrase it "£10 an hour for maccies front like staff, which is fair, is yet another comparison showing that NHS staff are woefully underpaid".

As others have said, looking up is better than looking down. I know your argument is essentially the same, but the way it's expressed (as others have also said) matters enormously to the overall argument. Look up, not down.

Yeah I haven't worded it right at all. I don't begrudge them getting more, but if they do then us NHS staff should get more to reflect the situation. I begrudge the NHS under the tories/hunt not paying enough.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I work full time plus 2 weeks on call a month. Usually its fairly quiet.

last night - midnight - 9:30am non stop then I'm heading into start my normal job for 10:30, probably for another 6/7 hours.

compensated for it nicely but that doesn't affect my health

Still here :D

Probably going to be an 18 hour day

Â