Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

Saw the saville documentary and had a sleepless night after watching it, shocking all them poor kids. 

Police, politicians, BBC and prince Charles, all hang your heads in shame so many of you supported and colluded with this vile creature

• Like 1

It's a documentary that hits hard in the UK because most of us lived through it, he was quite well protected by the media and had no social media frenzy to have turned the heat up while the bastard was still alive. Hard to watch how obvious he was in front of our very eyes. As a documentary it works very well, was good for its runtime with none of the usual Netflix repetition we normally get, like 2 hours dragged out to 10 episodes, this was very lean, zero filler. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

It's a documentary that hits hard in the UK because most of us lived through it, he was quite well protected by the media and had no social media frenzy to have turned the heat up while the bastard was still alive. Hard to watch how obvious he was in front of our very eyes. As a documentary it works very well, was good for its runtime with none of the usual Netflix repetition we normally get, like 2 hours dragged out to 10 episodes, this was very lean, zero filler. 

I think that's the main thing, its that he did it so often for so long without being caught and it raises the outrage "how did nobody see it and stop it? someone must have known" and then I watch that documentary and him being a wrong un seems so blatant that its like how did you not know? how didn't every TV watcher in the country know? I know standards have obviously changed but he's a dirty old bastard 

its a case of how did we let it happen, not just the BBC or the one producer on jim'll fix it, how did we as a nation let it happen

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I think that's the main thing, its that he did it so often for so long without being caught and it raises the outrage "how did nobody see it and stop it? someone must have known" and then I watch that documentary and him being a wrong un seems so blatant that its like how did you not know? how didn't every TV watcher in the country know? I know standards have obviously changed but he's a dirty old bastard 

its a case of how did we let it happen, not just the BBC or the one producer on jim'll fix it, how did we as a nation let it happen

The ultimate power of those around him probably helped, law makers, scum politians, judges, Royalty, there was/is probably a highly organised ring of made to order pervy services that would make normal people weep if we knew the extent of it. 

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I haven't finished Part 2 yet but this is what really sticks out to me. He's very clearly a right dirty old bastard but everyone seemed oblivious

I haven't watched the documentary yet but my understanding with Savile was that it was a well known rumour that he was a wrong'un but very few people could actually prove it - he knew how to pick victims, that wouldn't/couldn't talk, or be believed, and as a result there was rarely anything that let things go beyond rumour. And then he had the protection of being friendly with powerful figures and apparently having dirt on people in powerful positions - he openly states in his autobiography at one point that if he was prosecuted he was taking a number of police officers with him, in a moment after he is heavily implied to have abused a young girl. And of course he also used his financial power and standing to fight accusations - he actually sued one victim IIRC.

I don't think he would have got away with it in today's world. But back then, when there was less of an understanding of this kind of thing, where people weren't inclined to listen to claims of this nature and weren't encouraged to speak out, and where there wasn't the capacity for word to travel as effectively, he got away with it.

Some of the stuff in that story is horrendous though. He was effectively in charge of Broadmoor for a while ffs. 

18 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I haven't watched the documentary yet but my understanding with Savile was that it was a well known rumour that he was a wrong'un but very few people could actually prove it - he knew how to pick victims, that wouldn't/couldn't talk, or be believed, and as a result there was rarely anything that let things go beyond rumour. And then he had the protection of being friendly with powerful figures and apparently having dirt on people in powerful positions - he openly states in his autobiography at one point that if he was prosecuted he was taking a number of police officers with him, in a moment after he is heavily implied to have abused a young girl. And of course he also used his financial power and standing to fight accusations - he actually sued one victim IIRC.

I don't think he would have got away with it in today's world. But back then, when there was less of an understanding of this kind of thing, where people weren't inclined to listen to claims of this nature and weren't encouraged to speak out, and where there wasn't the capacity for word to travel as effectively, he got away with it.

Some of the stuff in that story is horrendous though. He was effectively in charge of Broadmoor for a while ffs. 

There is something to that extent in the second episode 

Including something from Andrew Neil 

Spoiler

Him interviewing him is part of the footage and he says they knew the rumours and his team of investigators went looking and they just couldn't find anything to prove, there was nothing there that could be uncovered

To paraphrase him he says Savile was a failure of behalf of journalists in the UK because they all knew the rumours but couldn't get the story 

Just watched the BBC 2 part doc about Gazza.

Greatest British football talent possibly ever torn apart by parts of the media industry. I know that the greatest goal in life seems to be to get famous, but I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

How Piers Morgan still has a career or any kind of job is beyond me.

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Just watched the BBC 2 part doc about Gazza.

Greatest British football talent possibly ever torn apart by parts of the media industry. I know that the greatest goal in life seems to be to get famous, but I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

How Piers Morgan still has a career or any kind of job is beyond me.

Some people just aren't built for all that "fame" crap. And when you're as transparent as Gazzza was, you're on a hiding to nothing. To think, all he wanted to do was play football. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

Some people just aren't built for all that "fame" crap. And when you're as transparent as Gazzza was, you're on a hiding to nothing. To think, all he wanted to do was play football. 

Watching things like the britney documentary I don't see how any one can if I'm honest 

On 11/04/2022 at 09:24, villa4europe said:

Let's have it right. John Lydon called Saville out for what he was in a radio interview in the seventies. Trust me, it wasn't that people didn't know, they just chose to look the other way.

They didn’t choose to look the other way, they had to as they were all doing the same thing. Savile wasn’t protected by a ring, he was part of the ring. Loads like him, only he is the one everyone talks about. Politicians, policemen, celebrities with lots of power all partaking and all protecting each other. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

They didn’t choose to look the other way, they had to as they were all doing the same thing. Savile wasn’t protected by a ring, he was part of the ring. Loads like him, only he is the one everyone talks about. Politicians, policemen, celebrities with lots of power all partaking and all protecting each other. 

I'm on about people who weren't part of what ever was going on but nonetheless knew what Saville and who ever else were doing. If John Lydon knew what Saville was all about then it's stands to reason, so did many others. They're the people I'm referring to.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Watched the Navalny doc last night on iPlayer.

I knew most of the story, but some of the details are fascinating. Also, quite funny.

Strong recommend.

Â