Gareth Barry (Man City)

Si.

254 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Barry back?

I find it a little disappointing that those who have said no to Barry coming back have been tarnished with the vidictive brush.

We wouldn't be getting the Barry that left here and thats where it ends for me.

• Like 2

Barry has had good few years with City and hasn't dropped in skill or performance, if he was willing to drop his wages to fit into the new structure were trying to build then yes I'd have him back in a heartbeat, but if he wants 30k + then I'd take a miss.

If Lambert is to be believed, he does not intend to sign established Premiership players. He does not intend to buy older players with no sell on value. He is both unwilling and unable to offer big wages. He will only target young, hungry prospects.

Barry is exactly the kind of player that PL said he would not buy.

23 pages on something that has no chance of happening?! He would have to take about a 70% wage cut and Lambert to do a U-Turn on his transfer policy. At Villa and at Norwich. Think people better should get out more!

Get out more?

Maybe you're on the dole and sitting at home in your pants (obviously in the garden), but most of us are at work when we post... ;)

• Like 2

I voted no. Nothing against him as a person, no qualms with him going to City as he has proved it was the correct decision for his career at the time with the cup and the league medal. Would take Milner back but think Barry is too old for what we are doing now (OT but just looked at both their wikis to check the actual ages and both pictures are of them in Villa tops!).

Regardless of our policy to date I rather suspect Lambert would love to land a player like Barry or indeed Barry himself.

But unless Barry fancies picking up a third of his current salary I don't see it happening.

This is what I think too. And I also wonder if Lambert's ever said that he won't buy old(er) players? I know he's said that he wants hungry players, and probably necessarily cheap players, but if we get Barry cheap on low wages I'd bet that he's hungry enough to do something here too. I think he has a soft spot for Villa and would love to help us build something new here. Like a mentor for the younger players. But the big problem will be the wages. Too big, I presume.

I voted no. Nothing against him as a person, no qualms with him going to City as he has proved it was the correct decision for his career at the time with the cup and the league medal. Would take Milner back but think Barry is too old for what we are doing now (OT but just looked at both their wikis to check the actual ages and both pictures are of them in Villa tops!).

yes I would take Milner back but not Barry

Barry has had good few years with City and hasn't dropped in skill or performance, if he was willing to drop his wages to fit into the new structure were trying to build then yes I'd have him back in a heartbeat, but if he wants 30k + then I'd take a miss.

I think 30k would be just right tbh

No.   Even if he improves us initially, he's keeping a player out of the line up who will hopefully be with us for a few years to come.   Instead of developing during the season, that midfielder will be little or no better come May.   Having that younger player in the team all season will leave Villa in better position going forward and will hopefully have the starting XI at the end of the season as good or better as if Barry had been starting all along, even if Barry's presence could have gained us a few points early in the season.

Give me a young, hungry player with something to prove over a player who wants to play for Villa only when it is convenient for him to do so.

We've had our fill of players coming here for their retirement. While there is no guarantee Barry would have a poor attitude like some of those players, there is also no doubt he is nearing the end of his career.

No thanks.

Still hate him for leaving us... Dont care if he did it for footballing reasons or if he won stuff at City (as if that is meant to make it better)... But for the sake of having an experienced head in the middle of the park for a couple of seasons, I would take him back in a heartbeat... Its not like he would be expecting to play 90 minutes every week and having someone with his know-how would certainly take the pressure off Westwood et al. when the going got tough

No.   Even if he improves us initially, he's keeping a player out of the line up who will hopefully be with us for a few years to come.   Instead of developing during the season, that midfielder will be little or no better come May.   Having that younger player in the team all season will leave Villa in better position going forward and will hopefully have the starting XI at the end of the season as good or better as if Barry had been starting all along, even if Barry's presence could have gained us a few points early in the season.

See this is where I disagree.  Having Barry here will take the pressure off the youngsters who can develop naturally over the next couple of seasons into the player that we hope they become.  The pressure has been so much on our young midfield that at times they could've done with a game or two off or even just the focus being on somebody else i.e. Barry.  Additionally to that I think they can learn so much from Barry

I do not think there is much in this but I would have Barry or another old head playing that "quarterback" type role. Its not about legs, its about experience and know how.

It is no coincidence that when teams gave us room to play last year we were very good. The problems came when teams turned the screw on us (remember that game of two halves at Everton), there was no old head to use their experience to talk the kids through that pressure.

For that reason I would have Barry back (and Jimmy Milner too Mr Lerner!)

I like our policy of signing young players too but the phrase "Everything in moderation" comes to mind.

If we forget for a minute about the way he left us before, Barry is exactly what we need.

Â