Gareth Barry (Man City)

Si.

254 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Barry back?

Depends on wages but Barry would be a great addition! At the end of his career so may play for cheap! And even if you bring him in to bring on the young lads and act as back up or just the calm head for big games! If the wages are too high though - which is why I imagine he has said hes happy to see out his Man City contract....

Really dont understand the way he is treated by some people. Did over 10 years at Villa and left to win the premier league and more than double his wages - dont think there are many people in the world that wouldnt do that given the opportunity!

Even when he had all the media going on when he asked to leave, he still played with his heart on his sleeve whenever he came on and was our best player on the picth by a long way!

• Like 1

Depends on wages but Barry would be a great addition! At the end of his career so may play for cheap! And even if you bring him in to bring on the young lads and act as back up or just the calm head for big games! If the wages are too high though - which is why I imagine he has said hes happy to see out his Man City contract....

Really dont understand the way he is treated by some people. Did over 10 years at Villa and left to win the premier league and more than double his wages - dont think there are many people in the world that wouldnt do that given the opportunity!

Even when he had all the media going on when he asked to leave, he still played with his heart on his sleeve whenever he came on and was our best player on the picth by a long way!

I agree with this.  I think the rationale for some (to hate him) was that as City weren't in the top 4 at the time so he was just a money grabber.  It didn't take Nostradamus to predict he would win stuff there and he's done ok hasn't he?  Frankly the way we treat some ex players who have been great sertvants to the club is terrible - Southgate also springs to mind - ok he didn't win stuff at Middlesborough but was shat on by Chelsea and we all hated Dougs lack of ambition at the time.  Young gave us some great years and we made a tidy profit too.

I was so so angry when he left. Was very bitter. 

But as I've said in the years since. I was wrong and Barry with FA Cup and Premier League medals in his pocket was correct to leave. What he said in his open letter was right on the money, they (City) were going to be a team that will win things. So it proved.

I'd imagine he'll see out his final year at City unless they pay him off to go. As he would have many suiters if on a Free as he could take a sign on bonus paid over the term of his contract. Which would offset his reduction in wages.

Never had a problem with Barry doing what he did. Gave us good service and moved on for the obvious reasons, which were somewhat borne out by Citehs predictable success. Would just prefer to see Lambert do it his own way and unearth a new 'Barry' if I'm honest.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind Barry coming back because if he did then clearly Lambert wants him back. So in that case I'd be happy Lambert thinks his experience could be beneficial to the team both on and off the pitch.

I think there is no way this will happen though. I'm sure Barry wants to play for Spurs, who I think would take him. 

If it was a straight choice between Gareth Barry coming back or signing Joleon Lescott, what would your feelings be then? Who would you prefer?

Mods, please move into speculation if in wrong thread.

Edited by MagicMushroom

No problems with Barry leaving especially when ONeil was matching his ambitions by bringing in the likes of Marlon Harewood!  He simply echoed a lot of our own thoughts.  Our heads were telling us it wasnt going to happen (Break Top 4) but out hearts were telling us otherwise.

Same with Southgate he wanted to do well with Villa, he wanted to Captain a successful Villa Team.  He reached the point where he couldn't stay so when offered a way out he went to boro.  I dont think Southgate could just stay and go through the motions.

Would I have Barry back?  Unsure.  We do need a captain, something that was missing last year, but for every return of Cowans makes you think this may work you think of Andy Gray's return and the skys go black again.

• Like 1

worst rumour of the summer. Im suprised people are still talking about it.

I dont care what he did. I dont blame him. He went for a fresh start in his prime to a club to win medals and a massive pay rise. Who wouldnt do that in your own careers?

Madness to suggest otherwise. To his credit.. he succeeded in doing what he set out to do.

I dont want him back however. Hes past his best.

Loved Barry when he was here. will never know why he wasnt ALWAYS the answer to Gerrard and Lampard "not being able to play together" in the England team. Great technique, Plays a whole host of positions. As David Platt once said when asked about which is Barry's best position.... "He's a good footballer" implying that it didnt really matter. UNBELIEVABLE service to our club - in a time when moving around can make you alot of money (aka Bent) - and players like Steve Bull and Matt Le-Tissier seem like an old distant memory. Is it still a bit annoying that he left to win stuff? hell yeah, but only really because I want US to win stuff. Always hurts when your better players leave. Did I want Cowans or Platt to leave, no, but then I cant begrudge them wanting to either. At least we got a fair enough wedge out of Barry's sale and didnt get stiffed up like with the Milner deal (i.e. Ireland) 

Still remember him cutting in from the left in front of the Trinity Road Stand against Spurs and banging one in from miles out in a game we had absolutely no right to draw :)

So many memories.

Do I want/we need him back?

Err NO.

Still remember him cutting in from the left in front of the Trinity Road Stand against Spurs and banging one in from miles out in a game we had absolutely no right to draw :)

wasn't that the one with the Angel OG  ..so technically we had every right to draw ( or win)  as Spurs didn't actually score :P

wasn't that the one with the Angel OG  ..so technically we had every right to draw ( or win)  as Spurs didn't actually score :P

Angel missed a peno as well so we should have won ;)

Much trepidation about another Man City reject if I'm being honest. Was a great player for us no doubt but I find it unlikely that he would have the 'fire' Lambert seems to look for.

I wouldn't class him as a reject. 132 appearances, a big part of their league and cup winning teams. When you play for a team with as much money as Man City being replaced at 32 is nothing to be ashamed of.

• Like 1

Â