Gareth Barry (Man City)

Si.

254 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Barry back?

Just throwing it out there - but my Man U supporting friend reckons this is a smoke screen for A Youngs return to villa. I'm smelling utter cack, but there you go.

How does that work, then?

No disrespect to your mate, but when it comes to Football, Manure fans only spout utter shit.

Same reasons that the other 'no' voters gave.

The manner (and destination) of his departure. I said at the time I hoped his career would crash and burn, and I feel no different now.o y

So you'd rather our team not see the benefit of a very good player, because he left us after 12 years at the club? At the end of the day surely Villa is in your best interest, so wouldn't you rather put aside your issues with a former player leaving, if it means it benefits Villa now? Also, to be fair on Barry he called the destination right in the long run didn't he?

Same   reasons that the other 'no' voters gave.

The manner (and destination) of his departure. I said at the time I hoped his career would crash and burn, and I feel no different now.

So, if you were in his shoes you would of turned down the chance of increasing your wage and winning something. You would have remained at Villa and watched your career go down the pan?

Tell me.

Would you stay in your current job if someone offered you 3 times your current wage and to play a part in a much bigger and successful organisation?

Why is it this different for Footballers?

Edited by MagicMushroom

Oh I dunno, I'm undecided. I feel that experience in the middle would help us a lot. But if we're going to bring in an experienced player I think he needs to be better than Barry to justify not playing any of the younger players instead.

• Like 2

The manner (and destination) of his departure. I said at the time I hoped his career would crash and burn, and I feel no different now.

So, if you were in his shoes you would of turned down the chance of increasing your wage and winning something. You would have remained at Villa and watched your career go down the pan?

Tell me.

Would you stay in your current job if someone offered you 3 times your current wage and to play a part in a much bigger and successful organisation?

I'm not him. I'm a football fan, driven by emotions.

• Like 1

I can see all sorts of reasons why this would be a good idea, and if I were manager then I'd be very interested in bringing Gareth back. I have no complaints about his departure, he has since been fully vindicated in his decision to leave Villa.

However, last season Lambert felt we didn't need the extra experience, and a year further down the line players like Lowton, Westwood etc will have all had a season of playing in the top flight. Ergo we will have a more experienced team than last year, so there's no real reason to suggest that Lambert will suddenly change his policy and go for an older player.

If Benteke leaves, goes to Madrid, becomes the best player in the world and a few years down the line wanted to return. Would the people who don't want Barry back because he left also turn down Benteke in my made up scenario?

Tell me.

I'm not him. I'm a football fan, driven by emotions.

HAHA, top answer! B)

The question of whether I'd want him back depends entirely on the financials surrounding the deal. Would I like to have him back and in the squad, giving advice to youngsters and adding experience to midfield? Yes. Would I like it to cost us a fortune in combined transfer & wages? No I wouldn't. So he'd have to come back on our terms. I wouldn't begrudge him his time at Citeh. He went away and won a league title after giving us a decade of his career. He was vindicated in moving and if he wanted to come back under our terms then I've no problem with that.

• Like 3

If this did happen (and I mean Barry taking a huge wage cut), then the 1 or 2 years he could give us, would really steady our young, developing team. He has the quality and also would be able to lead the youngsters around him.

I voted no.

But if he were to take a massive, and I mean MASSIVE wage cut (say, 80k per week, which means we pay him 20k per week) I wouldn't be against it. Signing him up on wages substantially more than that would mean us landing in the same situation we found ourselves in with Dunne, Ireland, Bent etc, in 2 or 3 years' time maximum.

And while it isn't smoking gun evidence of his decline, I think we should be wary of signing someone whom City seem eager to flog - they wouldn't do that if they thought he was good enough for them. 

I think those who don't want him are a combination of not wanting to pay what he'd want and those who don't like how he left. I can't imagine there are too many who wouldn't accept that he could add something to our midfield roster or that maybe he'd waltz into our starting midfield at the moment - although maybe not in a years time ...

All about wages for me. If he's prepared to take a huge cut go ahead if not then no. As much as I loved him here, he's obviously only going to get worse as he gets older, granted he could be like a Pirlo for us but I don't see it. I'd rather Lambert scout an unknown gem from somewhere.

Â